Wisdom teeth out tomorrow...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
Forum Member
ARGH! I'm having two wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I'm scared, very scared.
Dentist doesn't want me to go under General either....

Anyone had this done?

Comments

• NorthernAngelNorthernAngel Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not me but good luck, the dentist would have to knock me out :eek:
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ARGH! I'm having two wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I'm scared, very scared.
    Dentist doesn't want me to go under General either....

Anyone had this done?

Don`t worry, you will not have to go under, all he will do is give you a local anasthetic and numb the areas. It will not take him 2-3 mins to take both of them out and it will all be over.

Are they both on the same side of your mouth because if not, i can see you taking liquid food for a while until the soreness of the gums go away which could be a few days.

I had one out not long ago and it only took him 10 seconds :eek:

Don`t worry it`s not as bad as you think.

;)
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you have to go to hospital to get wisdom teeth out but if the dentist is going to do them then they'll probably not be much worse than a normal extraction, you'll be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to have 4 teeth taken out for my brace and it was fine. It's not as bad as it sounds you'll be fine!:)
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it done years ago. My wisdom teeth had impacted so my dentist sent me to my local hospital to have them out.
    It wasn't too bad, only soft food for a few days otherwise pretty good. You'll be sore but that's standard after a tooth extraction. Keep plently of nurofen in as you may need them, not paracetamol or asparin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had three wisdom teeth taken out last year, and I was sedated for it because I was so terrified. If you really are scared, then I think getting sedated is the way to go- once it kicked in I couldn't have cared less what they were doing, and with the injections in my gums, I was aware of the teeth coming out, but I didn't really feel anything.

Take lots of painkillers afterwards- once they wear off it can be pretty sore, so you'll be eating soup and mushy food for a few days. For me, the worst was the taste of blood in my mouth- they cut my gum up pretty badly to remove one of my teeth and it took a good few days to stop bleeding, and the nausea from that was the worst thing.

You will be fine- trust me, NO ONE was more scared than I was about getting wisdom teeth out, but after a few days I wondered why I had made such a fuss.

And the main thing is that no matter how unpleasant the experience may be, it is not as bad as having to life with painful wisdom teeth :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    THANK YOU! Everyone, you have put me at ease :)

I really, really want them out because I'm fed up of them so I'm thinking of that now and I'm not too bad. I'm having one on each side taken out and I've never had teeth out before so I think it's fear of the unknown ;)

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck. I had mine taken out at the dentists too. If they're not impacted or in a bad position its easy for them to take them out. Takes moments and doesn't hurt at the time. It'll be uncomfortable the rest of the day as the anasthetic eases off. But the actual taking out is over so quickly its amazing.
  • MexieMexie Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope it went ok. I had my top two taken out in hospital under general (I requested this as I have a bad needle phobia). I woke up feeling fine and could eat normally straight away. Beware of things like rice though, as they can get stuck in the holes, but a quick rinse with water or mouthwash should get them out.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just like to mention a small point my dentist brought up when I lost one of my teeth..

'It's a pity you don't have any wisdom teeth left in there, we could of used that'

I'm not sure how long a tooth lasts when it's extracted, but you might like to save them for a rainy day. Can't beat having a real one, and the cost of a replacement resin one is astronomical. :)
  • MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    I hope all went well for you MadgeBishop. I wasn't sorry to see the back of mine..you're far better off without them once they start giving you problems.

I had two taken out at one time on opposite sides of my mouth and thought i'd be in agony and not able to eat, but that night i was sitting tucking into a takeaway from the local chippy! Mind you, i had a sedation, so i was still floating round the ceiling somewhere :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heheh, yeah the sedation was fantastic; I was lying there thinking "When is this going to kick in... ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!"
    Stood up, felt like I was drunk, couldn't stop laughing. Think I asked my Dad for a tin of coke or something.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone :)
    Well the actual extraction was really weird. A bit of a shock to the system! The roots were all curved and a lot more difficult that the dentist previously thought...it took a little longer but wasn't *too* bad and the dentist was fantastic. I had a *terrible* night though and am in a lot of pain now. But for the greater good...! The pesky things ;)
    Forum Member
    If you're still in pain MadgeBishop (I'd shorten it to Madge but then i'd feel like i was talking to myself) i find that a combination of Ibuprofen and Co-codamol 8/500mg (if you can take them ie. not allergic to either or no stomach ulcers) is the best at controlling dental pain. Just remember that the co-codamol contains paracetamol and also that you can't take Ibuprofen if you're taking any other anti inflammatory drugs or aspirin, but always be guided by your pharmacist.

Hope you feel better soon :)
    Forum Member
    Madge wrote:
    If you're still in pain MadgeBishop (I'd shorten it to Madge but then i'd feel like i was talking to myself) i find that a combination of Ibuprofen and Co-codamol 8/500mg (if you can take them ie. not allergic to either or no stomach ulcers) is the best at controlling dental pain. Just remember that the co-codamol contains paracetamol and also that you can't take Ibuprofen if you're taking any other anti inflammatory drugs or aspirin, but always be guided by your pharmacist.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Aw thanks Madge :)
    I'm still in quite a lot of pain so am on the Ibuprofen now, which is definately helping. My cheek is still swollen I feel like the Elephant man ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    dont worry i had one out on monday..and i was really scared that it would hurt..but i didnt even feel the injections and having the actual tooth out doesnt hurt at all..it just feels a bit wierd..ull be fine!

p.s about 20 mins after i was eating a mcflurry (very slowly mind u!) and there was no swelling for me..

hope that puts ure mind at rest!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had all 4 out in one go under a general anaesthetic in hospital. When I came round I was sobbing uncontrollably! It is on my notes for them never to use that particular anaesthitc on me again!

My face was very swollen and bruised all the way down my neck. I also found a huge bruise on my chest a day or two later!

I had problems for a long time after - they had severed a nerve in my lower jaw, my jaw locked and I had to use a screw device every day to open my mouth!

All in all I wish I had opted for the sedation option.

Glad it went well though.

[shudder] I hate dentists. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I had 3 impacted ones removed under general at the hospital years ago.

Didn't see the point as they weren't causing me any problems but the dentist said they had to go.

The op went well but I bled for ages afterwards. I wasn't put back on the ward but into a side room near the nurses station. I got a little panicky when I heard a male voice at the nurses station asking where the "Bleeding" post op patient was? Turned out they had called a Doc to see me as they were concerened about the blood loss. My face was like a football and I was bruised from my eyes to my navel...

Hospital sent me home the following day, I was very weak and in terrible pain. Nothing would shift the pain. I eventually went back to my dentist 3 weeks later and he found a suture which the hospital told me was dissolvable and it had become infected. He whipped it out, stuffed some lovely liquid soaked cloth in the hole and I was fine...........

Here endith my trauma..... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah one of the three I had out must have been really difficult to extract because it was really badly cut up at that part of the gum, and took 4 days to stop bleeding. The dentist must have been pulling at my face like a mad man as the right hand side of my face was bruised and swollen for over a week. I looked like I had been beaten up.

However, I did enjoy getting a whole week off work because of it, and although I got them out on the Monday, I went out drinking on the Friday night and was fine ;)
    Forum Member
    Ouuuuuuuuuuuuch some scary stories there! These wisdom teeth are a pain. Literally ;) Glad you guys are ok now!
    I can't sleep because mine hurts so much :( How long were you guys in pain afterwards? My face is even more swollen now :(
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had six teeth out a few months ago, two of which were wisdom teeth. The swelling and pain started to ease by the fourth day. My dentist advised that taking the painkillers regularly would help, and not let things get sore before taking them. If it helps I was told to take a combination of 2 nurofen plus and 2 co-codamol while the pain was at its worst for a few days, then use one or the other for a couple of days after that if needed.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people need to have their wisdom teeth out in hospital, others can have it done at the dentist. It just depends on your teeth. If they are difficult to get at it will be a hospital job. Other people are more lucky, their wisdom teeth are removed as easily aws any other teeth.

It should not be underestimated, for some people having your wisdom teeth out in hospital is a major job.

I understand that the rule is nowadays if you have impacted wisdom teeth, but they are not infected + not pushing on other teeth, and not being a problem day to day, they wont usually remove them anymore.

Dave
    Forum Member
    I'm back off to the dentist first thing. I am in terrible pain! And the swelling is worse...I feel like the Elephant man :(
    Forum Member
    Aww MadgeB goodluck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I had a wisdom tooth out earlier in the year and i was dreading it, i had had a tooth out before and was in agony afterwards.

My wisdom tooth was taken out and I took nurofen straight away and was waiting for the pain to come, it never arrived, It was painless