Guillermo Del-Toro's The Strain coming to Watch

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I'm ten episodes in (watching at US pace) and if anything it's better than when it started.

Really? Good stuff!
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Really? Good stuff!

Yep, been my favourite show this summer.

The story keeps evolving at a decent pace, where you thought it was going to be one show it evolves into another, and another. It does tread a fair few horror / sci fi cliches as it goes but deals with them really well I think. It also introduces a good range of characters along the way and a decent back story
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im watching at torrent pace lol, and 4 eps in Im loving it.Creepy, mysterious and modern.Carlton Cuse has an eye for good TV it seems,well acted and produced. Hope it continues.
  • XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First episode and it has me hooked. Last scene seriously creepy! Papa :o
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XXRunXX wrote: »

Sort of Salems Lot creepy with the boy at the window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Definitely! Danny Glick at the window!
    Remeber also Mike Ryerson in the rocking chair "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!"
    Both scenes still make me shudder, brilliant horror for it's time.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brilliant opener, i will be tuned in all season

already renewed for season 2 too
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with my recording, enjoyed the adverts but there were too many bits of horror-type movie that kept breaking in and spoiling them...........after the first break it seemed like no more than five or six minutes before the second one, and what was the point of putting in a break with around ten minutes left? I recorded the immediate repeat from Watch+1 at 00:40 so other showings may have had the ads spaced differently.
    Seriously, though, enjoyed it immensely and will definitely continue viewing.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XXRunXX wrote: »
    dearmrman wrote: »

The girl coming home to her dad reminded me of Les Revenants as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    The girl coming home to her dad reminded me of Les Revenants as well.

Oh yes! What happened to it? Watched series one just waiting for series 2 :)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought episode two didn't quite capitalise on the first episode's momentum and dragged its hills slightly. Still enjoyed it though and definitely going to keep watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I thought episode two didn't quite capitalise on the first episode's momentum and dragged its hills slightly. Still enjoyed it though and definitely going to keep watching.

I have to agree with this. It was still a good episode but i felt they should have discovered what happened in the morgue much sooner rather than right at the very end. I was waiting for them to capitalise on that moment asap in Ep2 but they waited until the very end for Goodweather to make the discovery. I've also just realised that Goodweather is the bald headed guy from House of Cards! I've never seen HOC but i had no idea, he's so unrecognisable. Didn't realise it was the same actor.

There were however 2 standout scenes which were terrific.

The first was the scene when Eichorst went to visit Setrakian in prison. That scene was just immense! The acting between the two was brilliant, particularly from Eichorst (who reminds me of a young Christoph Waltz - sounds just like him too!) and the dialogue electrified the whole scene. It just sparked, you could feel it in the air. I certainly could.

The second was the scene with the little French girl in the bath violently killing her dad. That was gruesome!

They also brought in a new character in the form of some kind of Russian Health and Safety officer who shut down a restaurant. Not sure what he's all about to be honest.

The big bad vampire who's causing the strain - is that just special effects or will we actually see a person playing him?
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was the back of a bald head for sure, so human form of some sort.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do see him and I think he looks a cross between Howard the duck, the pennywise the clown from it and a little bit of the joker thrown in for good measure. Seriously freaky
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i felt epsiode 2 kept the momentum going myself, really liking this show.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Wow totally blew me away, really enjoyed the double bill

Its actually what a horror tv series should be, spooky and gory and keeps you guessing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with Ep3 and another good episode this week. More horror and gore.

I loved the pre-credits sequence where we discover Eichorst is a vampire and we see his morning/nightly routine of making himself look human. It was very well done and very amusing to watch. That actor seriously gives me the freaks!

I fear Jim is going to come to a sticky end now that Eichorst is blackmailing him to do his dirty work. I wish Setrakian would reveal all to Goodweather and Nora about what's really happening.

I'm really liking that ratcatcher guy. I'm thinking there must be some big story with the rats?

WTF moment had to be that rockstars dick falling off in the toilet! :o:D:o
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with Ep3 and another good episode this week. More horror and gore.

I loved the pre-credits sequence where we discover Eichorst is a vampire and we see his morning/nightly routine of making himself look human. It was very well done and very amusing to watch. That actor seriously gives me the freaks!

I fear Jim is going to come to a sticky end now that Eichorst is blackmailing him to do his dirty work. I wish Setrakian would reveal all to Goodweather and Nora about what's really happening.

I'm really liking that ratcatcher guy. I'm thinking there must be some big story with the rats?

You just heard the splash:o and knew something had fallen off:D
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha ha ha the dick falling off was epic
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved last night's episode. The autopsy scene was gruesome.

And then what Ansel's wife did to the next door neighbour :o:o:o
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this show; it's gone back to what vampires ought to be rather than teen heartthrobs full of self-pity and anguish. Just a bunch of dirty vile murderous creatures, but with a heavy dose of science to counter-balance the more mystical elements which, although present, are quite muted in some respects.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Enjoying this so far. Ep 4 was pretty nuts - that scene with the neighbour being shoved into the shed was rather gruesome. Also nice to finally see Abraham using his sword.
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few things confuse me with this show though.

Number one no one seems overly bothered when they see these things.

The singer losing his genitals acted like it happens to him everyday.

The lady this week still seeing them as human and wanting to reason and help them.

Quite bizarre but I do like it still. Just curious as to why there isn't a big to do with all the bodies going missing and turned into monsters and no one seems to care but a couple of people, so it seems.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    A few things confuse me with this show though.

Number one no one seems overly bothered when they see these things.
    Mia Maestro and Saen Austin's characters were extremely bothered by what they saw this week.
    The singer losing his genitals acted like it happens to him everyday.
    I wonder if as part of the transformation, their brains are also affected, effectively making them become submissive to whats happening them.
    The lady this week still seeing them as human and wanting to reason and help them.
    Well, she sees it as something that could possible be treated rather than a lost cause.
    Quite bizarre but I do like it still. Just curious as to why there isn't a big to do with all the bodies going missing and turned into monsters and no one seems to care but a couple of people, so it seems.
    Isn't there still a high level cover up and miss-information going out at this time? Also, the Internet and social networks are out of action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    This Ebola thing is really scary!

This is a documentary on the Ebola crisis, right?