Emmerdale was ridiculous last night!

Comments

• samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    So what.

I am giving the writers a bit of leeway, they havent suddenly turned Jack into a sex mad murderer.

I am sure that back in 2000, Jack and Robert were not on screen 24/7, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it could have happen.

You might be willing to but accept that others may not.

Soaps are about significant moments in these character's lives. This is a pretty significant moment for both characters for it to have happened off screen and some people are not happy about the implication of that.

What secrets does Diane have in her closet? Is Vals skin hanging in there, which she used to play a ghost when Eric was grieving?
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

Soaps are about significant moments in these character's lives. This is a pretty significant moment for both characters for it to have happened off screen and some people are not happy about the implication of that.

What secrets does Diane have in her closet? Is Vals skin hanging in there, which she used to play a ghost when Eric was grieving?

Indeed

By that logic there's no point of the last 40 plus years of Emmerdale if past characters and events can be changed at a whim

There is nothing worse than plot driven rather than character driven drama imo. Past events have been changed to suit the unbearable robron plot
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    It was very final destination

Yep. The entire time I was thinking "pile up, pile up, pile up".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed

By that logic there's no point of the last 40 plus years of Emmerdale if past characters and events can be changed at a whim

There is nothing worse than plot driven rather than character driven drama imo. Past events have been changed to suit the unbeatable robron plot

Exactly.

Will we find out that someone had a weather machine and created the storm that killed Tricia? Will Marlon have his revenge?

The soap is struggling right now to create believable long term characters to be sure. It's why it's been quite hard to watch for me the past year or so.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonights episode Emma wakes up...it was all a dream.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,719
    Forum Member
    I thought it was amazing. Soaps are entertainment. I don't recall it every being said that they had to be an exact mirror of real life. Just relax and enjoy it and stop looking to moan
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talk about dramatic!!

Implication of what, that a older farmer might have have found it hard to accept that his first born son was gay and gave him a hiding once and then never talked about it again.

Sorry but I can see Jack doing exactly this.

Now if they had suddenly turned into a mass serial killer with bodies buired all over Emmerdale then yes I would be in agreement with you, but they didnt .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about dramatic!!

Implication of what, that a older farmer might have have found it hard to accept that his first born son was gay and gave him a hiding once and then never talked about it again.

Now if they had suddenly turned into a mass serial killer with bodies buired all over Emmerdale then yes I would be in agreement with you, but they didnt .

So basically Robert slept with his brothers wife to cover his true sexuality?

OK then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about dramatic!!

The implication that any characters past can be changed at any time to suit whatever plot is relevant right now.
    As usual you're completely missing the point. Remove my exaggerated plot line about Diane and the point still stands.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whatever to tell you the truth I am passed caring.

I never really liked Jack that much anyway. Always thought he was a goody two shoes who thought he was better that everyone. :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Tonights episode Emma wakes up...it was all a dream.

with james walking out the shower?... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with james walking out the shower?... :D

Erm, I'd rather not. :p
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see it as being that unrealistic, surely it can and has happened in real life that a tradgedy has happened and it has effected local people. Just thinking back to the airshow crash in Shoreham for instance, the Emmerdale scene was pretty similar to that terrible tradgedy and I believe most of the victims were all pretty much local to within a small area. I remember well the scenes on the news and my builders son was caught up on the periphery and said it was a very surreal experience with people wandering around.

I didn't enjoy the run up episodes to last night but I thought that they pulled it all together very very well and the scenes were epic.
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Whatever to tell you the truth I am passed caring.

I never really liked Jack that much anyway. Always thought he was a goody two shoes who thought he was better that everyone. :D

I too never liked the Jack character...too hide bound for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erm, I'd rather not. :p

Bill Ward looked fantastic on this morning :D

He's gorgeous
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

He's gorgeous

Little secret: I fancied him something chronic when he first started on ED.

Then I realised James was a colossal nob and went off him a bit. ;-)
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's gorgeous

I agree - it was one reason James was one of my favourite characters :-) I liked him regardless of that though.
  • hallo girlhallo girl Posts: 486
    Forum Member

No Robert wanted anything that Andy had as he was always jealous of Andy,
  • hallo girlhallo girl Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »
    I thought it was amazing. Soaps are entertainment. I don't recall it every being said that they had to be an exact mirror of real life. Just relax and enjoy it and stop looking to moan

Well said.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to commend emmerdale for trying something different. It was put together really well. I think had James's death not been leaked then it would have been even better.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    What's unrealistic is soap viewers and especially old hand soap viewers on here expecting realism. It's a soap and a highly entertaining one at the moment :kitty:
  • Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're totally ignoring what the poster said though.

Both characters were on-screen back then, and none of this happened. The farmhand mentioned in Robert's story did not exist.
    Nobody has a problem with what Jack may have done on the chance this story was real, but since both characters were on screen at this time and it didn't happen, it didn't happen.

It's the same as people getting annoyed at Ross/Charity making a baby off screen, but on a larger scale.

What are you talking about?!!!! We don't view these characters 24/7 so things might have happened off screen. Just because we didn't see it in the soap at the time doesn't mean that it could never have happened.
  • wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member

But Robert's bisexual so why wouldn't he sleep with Katie???

Parneb wrote: »
    I too never liked the Jack character...too hide bound for me.

Serious question - what does this mean? (I've never heard it before)
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadRomance wrote: »

That's the way I feel too. I stopped watching Corrie, EE and H&A because they stopped entertaining me. If ED ever stops entertaining me then I'll stop watching it. In the meantime I'll carry on enjoying bonkers Emma and the rest of them :D
  • ASHomezASHomez Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you talking about?!!!! We don't view these characters 24/7 so things might have happened off screen. Just because we didn't see it in the soap at the time doesn't mean that it could never have happened.

But that's the whole point of dramatisation. When we tell stories in our day to day lives, we put together important events into a coherent narrative, and leave out the mundane ones. I don't think anyone would have a problem if they left out a scene of Jack going to the toilet in 2002, which was only brought up now. It's mundane, and we can probably assume that it happened. But as others have said, the whole hitting thing would have been a big part of the characters' story, and therefore would have been shown, so to bring it up now out of the blue is just bad writing.