Problems with my tomcat Archie

Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have 3 cats, 2 girls and one lad. They usually get on really well together, but recently my boy Archie (who is 5) is being very naughty! He is constantly spraying all over the house and has started to become violent to one of the the girls. I have bought a feliway but it doesnt seem to have any effect. He has been neutered and is usually a very calm and passive cat, I have no idea why he might be being so naughty at the mo!! Does anyone have any advice or explanations as to why he acting up at the moment?

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Do you have a cat flap? I know one of our cats started spraying in the house after a neighbours cat used to pop in the cat flap every now and then. It may be that hes started getting protective of his space if he feels another cat may be a threat.

My parents had 2 kittens who were sisters and for about 3 years they got on fine then they started fighting. One would offten attack the other. It never got serious more like play fighting but there was often hissing and chasing. Maybe this coud have been due to strange cats coming in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Have you taken him to the vet to check there's nothing medically wrong with him? If he's spraying it could be a urinary infection, or something else which might explain his grumpiness too.
    Try and get a urine sample so it can be checked.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mouths wrote: »
    Have you taken him to the vet to check there's nothing medically wrong with him? If he's spraying it could be a urinary infection, or something else which might explain his grumpiness too.
    Try and get a urine sample so it can be checked.

Yes I think a checkup maybe in order. Will try and get a sample for the vet. Would a urine infection explain why the little bugger has turned violent all of a sudden???!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Do you have a cat flap? I know one of our cats started spraying in the house after a neighbours cat used to pop in the cat flap every now and then. It may be that hes started getting protective of his space if he feels another cat may be a threat.

My parents had 2 kittens who were sisters and for about 3 years they got on fine then they started fighting. One would offten attack the other. It never got serious more like play fighting but there was often hissing and chasing. Maybe this coud have been due to strange cats coming in.

We have a cat flap into the garage, but not the main house. The vast majority of the time they sleep inside anyway. My cats always play fight and chase, but this is different, he attacks with pure aggression!!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Yes I think a checkup maybe in order. Will try and get a sample for the vet. Would a urine infection explain why the little bugger has turned violent all of a sudden???!!!

Any changes in behaviour should be investigated by a vet.

Even in humans, urinary infections alter behaviour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah your right, I will book him in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member

Ha, pretty much. I know when I'm even slightly ill, I'm evil!

Good Luck, Pumping Iron, hope you get Archie sorted :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mouths wrote: »
    Ha, pretty much. I know when I'm even slightly ill, I'm evil!

Good Luck, Pumping Iron, hope you get Archie sorted :)

Thanks :) he bit me for the first time ever last night; he's still me best mate though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update, I took Archie to the vets and he did have a urine infection. He has been given some anti-biotics and is back to his oldself now :)
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update, I took Archie to the vets and he did have a urine infection. He has been given some anti-biotics and is back to his oldself now :)

Aww poor thing but great news he's all good again :D
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad he's back to his old self - no wonder he was feeling grumpy though :)