Options

Disconnecting an electric cooker

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm having a new electric cooker delivered tomorrow as my current one has finally given up on me. They're collecting the old cooker, but it has to be disconnected first, they won't do this for me. Only I have no idea how to disconnect it :o
The wire at the back of the cooker runs in to a plastic panel attached to the wall with 2 screws.

The cooker has its own switch in the fusebox, if I switch this off (and check the cooker doesn't light up/work after, obviously!), would it be safe to unscrew the box at the back to disconnect the wires? Or should I turn off the main switch to be on the safe side?

The company delivering said to get a professional electrician in to do it, but I'm on a very tight budget as it is, I don't want to pay out if it's a straight-forward job that I could easily do myself. It was installed by a professional so there should be a problem with dodgy wiring or anything (at least I hope!)
Sadly nobody I know has a clue about it either so I don't have anyone to ask.

Comments

• Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turn the cooker switch of on the fuse box

Then try everything on the cooker...If your correct and nothing lights up then the cooker shoud be dead....Do you have a cooker switch in the kitchen..If so turn that of too.

Than open the box and take the wires out.

If you are unsure at any time then get someone in to do it.

Who is connecting your new cooker...?

Once disconnected DO NOT turn the power back on in the fuse box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    its only a couple of screws to undo , get it wrong and your life may end , very quickly , i therefore am going to offer no advice apart from find an electrician :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a cooker on/off switch on the wall beside the cooker, I'll make sure that's off too. Although the cooker doesn't work, it still lights up when turned on so I can tell if the electric has been disconnected.

It sounds pretty straight-forward, I'm mainly worried about there still being a live wire in there even if it's switched off at the mains!

I'll have a look, if it looks too complicated I'll leave it and call a professional in.

The company delivering are connecting the new one, they just won't disconnect the old one for some strange reason!

• Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    use an insulated screwdriver try kneling on a rubber backed mat if you have one do not touch the bare wires, do as suggested above you should be ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    There is a cooker on/off switch on the wall beside the cooker, I'll make sure that's off too. Although the cooker doesn't work, it still lights up when turned on so I can tell if the electric has been disconnected.

It sounds pretty straight-forward, I'm mainly worried about there still being a live wire in there even if it's switched off at the mains!

I'll have a look, if it looks too complicated I'll leave it and call a professional in.

The company delivering are connecting the new one, they just won't disconnect the old one for some strange reason!

Probably because there could be all sorts of liabilities/repercussions if their man ends up blowing himself/your flat up due to someone else's dodgy wiring! Unlikely I know, but in this compensation/H&S-mad culture I'm sure it's a consideration! :)

ETA - if you choose to disconnect it and something goes wrong, then you're the only one who can be blamed. An electrician you pay for the job will (ought to) be suitably qualified and insured to undertake that job. The guys bringing your new cooker will only be insured to install it, not undertake any other electrical tasks.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bmillam wrote: »
    use an insulated screwdriver try kneling on a rubber backed mat if you have one do not touch the bare wires, do as suggested above you should be ok.
    Hello,

What do you believe kneeling on a rubber backed mat would do?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello,

Stop his knees aching on the hard floor :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes but shouldn't that be a rubber backed cushion then?, one does like ones creatures comforts, I know I do :)

Failing that, turning off at the consumer unit will do it, then disconnecting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I believe (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) that the cooker switch is double pole, so I'd have thought switching off would be good enough. If it's correctly wired, switching off should be enough anyway. But, being a belt-and-braces type, I'd remove the fuse as well. Then you can disconnect away to your heart's content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Doesn't it stop you being electricuted if you're not touching the floor? Or maybe that's lightening?
    I'm in a first floor flat... *wonders if that counts as touching the ground* :D

I'm a she, but that's a very considerate suggestion, thanks! :p
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I believe (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) that the cooker switch is double pole, so I'd have thought switching off would be good enough. If it's correctly wired, switching off should be enough anyway. But, being a belt-and-braces type, I'd remove the fuse as well. Then you can disconnect away to your heart's content.

I checked the original manual that came with the cooker, it says it should be connected to a 'double pole control unit', I'll disconnect at the mains just to be sure though.

Okay, gonna have a go now... if I'm not back in a few hours send an ambulance please :D
  • Options
    CaptMcMallisterCaptMcMallister Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Increase the impedance of the path to earth through your body, thereby hopefully limiting the size of any current which may pass to that which will not kill you. I'd recommend checking the power is off with a multi-meter though.

Here is an interesting little factoid from the Institution of Electrical Engineers which puts some numbers on these things (the article is discussing earthing plastic pipes but the idea of increasing impedance applies generally):

The Human body plus clothes, particularly shoes has an impedance of about 3,000Ω. At 230 volts this will result in a current of about 153 mA. This is not nice, but it is unlikely to kill you. If there are no shoes and hands are wet, the impedance falls to 500 Ω and the current at 230 volts is 460 mA. This is getting decidedly unpleasant. Immersion of the body in a bath, in effect halves the impedance of the body and current at 230 volts would then be as high as 1,000 mA. This is dangerous, and can kill.
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    Hello,

electrisity finds it very had to pass through rubber / plastic so if you are standing or kneeling on a rubber mat then electrisity will not pass through you unless you are touching something else that is conductive. you will find it is a health and safty requiremant at places of work to have them
  • Options
    jay seanjay sean Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    switch off the mcb at the fuseboard, then you should have a switch by your cooker, switch that off too.
    Pull out the cooker, cable should go in to a plate with two screws, undo them then you should see the wires, make a note of where each one goes, check that and only then disconnect the cable, reverse the instructions to connect the new cooker.

from an electrician
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, I've just managed to do it, no problems :)

Behind the plate were screw-type of things (the technical term...) which I had to loosen to release the 3 wires. I'm not going near the thing now! I'm leaving it all switched off until they deliver and connect tomorrow.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jay sean wrote: »
    switch off the mcb at the fuseboard, then you should have a switch by your cooker, switch that off too.
    Pull out the cooker, cable should go in to a plate with two screws, undo them then you should see the wires, make a note of where each one goes, check that and only then disconnect the cable, reverse the instructions to connect the new cooker.

from an electrician

Ah, but will the new cooker come with cables already attached / connected ?

They usually don't.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember to fit the new cooker correctly, if you get the - and + wires mixed up the hobs will get cold instead of hot...........................honest. :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can do it. If you can wire a plug.

MCB off. Cooker switch on wall (if you have one) off.

After checking lights and rings dont come on...
    Take a leap of faith with a bare live (off) wire. Brush the BACK of you knuckles quickly across the copper. Old electricians trick. If you get a belt, it's live. Don't do it if you have heart problems/pacemaker.

Check the old cooker rating label for kW and Amps at the back of the cooker.
    Check the new one.

Old cookers maybe wired with 4mil cable or god forbid socket 2.5mil cable.
    New ones may need 6mil or 10mil cable and that is a job for an electrician.

Even 4mil can be pretty stiff, its not quite like wiring a plug.

(mil=mm squared)

Red=Brown=Live
    Black=Blue=Neutral
    Breen=Green/Yellow=Earth

Read the new cooker leaflet for install and kW and cable size recommendations.

If in doubt, a local electrician should do it for £20-40, depending on which part of country you live.

Dont throw any 1metre connecting cables out till the new one is in.
    You dont want to buy a whole reel.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breen??? Green
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm having a new electric cooker delivered tomorrow as my current one has finally given up on me. They're collecting the old cooker, but it has to be disconnected first, they won't do this for me. Only I have no idea how to disconnect it :o
    The wire at the back of the cooker runs in to a plastic panel attached to the wall with 2 screws.

The cooker has its own switch in the fusebox, if I switch this off (and check the cooker doesn't light up/work after, obviously!), would it be safe to unscrew the box at the back to disconnect the wires? Or should I turn off the main switch to be on the safe side?

The company delivering said to get a professional electrician in to do it, but I'm on a very tight budget as it is, I don't want to pay out if it's a straight-forward job that I could easily do myself. It was installed by a professional so there should be a problem with dodgy wiring or anything (at least I hope!)
    Sadly nobody I know has a clue about it either so I don't have anyone to ask.

Get a qualified electrician to do it.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    invisibump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Increase the impedance of the path to earth through your body, thereby hopefully limiting the size of any current which may pass to that which will not kill you. I'd recommend checking the power is off with a multi-meter though.

Here is an interesting little factoid from the Institution of Electrical Engineers which puts some numbers on these things (the article is discussing earthing plastic pipes but the idea of increasing impedance applies generally):

The Human body plus clothes, particularly shoes has an impedance of about 3,000Ω. At 230 volts this will result in a current of about 153 mA. This is not nice, but it is unlikely to kill you. If there are no shoes and hands are wet, the impedance falls to 500 Ω and the current at 230 volts is 460 mA. This is getting decidedly unpleasant. Immersion of the body in a bath, in effect halves the impedance of the body and current at 230 volts would then be as high as 1,000 mA. This is dangerous, and can kill.
    electrisity finds it very had to pass through rubber / plastic so if you are standing or kneeling on a rubber mat then electrisity will not pass through you unless you are touching something else that is conductive. you will find it is a health and safty requiremant at places of work to have them
    Yes, thank you, being a sparky for nearly 25 odd years,---I didn't know that, it's the kneeling part I was questioning.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only mats at my place of work are carpet offcuts used by the Muslim workers for kneeling on. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The people delivering the cooker are just that - delivery men. They would have to be qualified electricians and Part P approved/certified to do any electrical work in your kitchen. If unqualified it would be illegal for them to disconnect any electrical appliance in your kitchen not fitted with a plug.

If fitting an electric cooker they would probably have to safety check it and your wiring installation and issue the appropriate certificate. This is not something that would come for free or be included in a nominal delivery charge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a pair of wellies, not the steel toe cap type!

you'll be fine just have a go flick the fuse check there's no power and undo the screws remove wires and tighten the screws up so they don't fall out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can do it. If you can wire a plug.

MCB off. Cooker switch on wall (if you have one) off.

After checking lights and rings dont come on...
    Take a leap of faith with a bare live (off) wire. Brush the BACK of you knuckles quickly across the copper. Old electricians trick. If you get a belt, it's live. Don't do it if you have heart problems/pacemaker.

Check the old cooker rating label for kW and Amps at the back of the cooker.
    Check the new one.

Old cookers maybe wired with 4mil cable or god forbid socket 2.5mil cable.
    New ones may need 6mil or 10mil cable and that is a job for an electrician.

Even 4mil can be pretty stiff, its not quite like wiring a plug.

(mil=mm squared)

Red=Brown=Live
    Black=Blue=Neutral
    Breen=Green/Yellow=Earth

Read the new cooker leaflet for install and kW and cable size recommendations.

If in doubt, a local electrician should do it for £20-40, depending on which part of country you live.

Dont throw any 1metre connecting cables out till the new one is in.
    You dont want to buy a whole reel.

The OP has already wrote the company bringing the cooker will connect it, they just wouldn't disconnect it.