ADVICE, please! A chili hdd machine and an ntl box. Is there any way I can tape ..

one channel whilst watching another?

Help gratefully recieved.

Comments

• sean1sean1 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    What is "a chili hdd machine" ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A hard disc drive recorder, enabling one to record from the television directly on to either the recorder's hard disc driver or onto a dvd, or from the hdd onto a dvd disc. The brand is a German one called "chili". Unfortunately, added to the equation is the fact that an NTL Pace box is involved. I'm wondering whether it is possible to record from the tv to the recorder one channel, whilst watching another channel at the same time.

If anyone knows - and more importantly, can tell me how to do it - I'd be very grateful!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing the built in tuner on the hard drive box is analogue only. Plus, your NTL decoder is just a standard single digital tuner box.

If this is the case, you can't view 1 digital channel while you record another digital channel. You would need equipment with "dual digital tuners" to do that (like a UK Sky+ satellite system). However, you should be able to record to hard drive using the internal analogue tuner (provided its compatible with UK analogue signals), while the NTL and tv display digital tv. Or you can do it the other way around - record using the euro-scart from the NTL digital box to the hard drive box, then view a different analogue channel on the tv. You will ofcourse you require an analogue signal from either Cable or an aerial to do this, and in a few years (as early as 2007 in some areas of the UK), analogue signals will be turned off, so you will eventually have to get equipment with dual digital tuners. In addition to the Sky+, you can buy similar systems designed for digital reception from an aerial (Freeview), or you could buy a new idtv (a tv with built in digital tuner) and also have a dvd recorder with built in digital tuner - you could then do 2 thngs at once in digital. My understanding is that some when in 2006, NTL are planning their own dual digital Cable tuner box with built in hard disc. This would also allow you to do 2 things at one in digital.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Dave. I think I understand, now!

I thought the demise of analogue had been put back a couple of years, owing to a degree of consumer resistance, particularly amongst older people?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dpends on where you live in the UK. Some area's are going all digital before others. Have a look on this page - www.freeview.co.uk/newssection/index.html to see which year your area is going to be fully switched.

Dave