Options

Damaris Hayman

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I was watching the Roger Delgado mini-documentary on Frontier In Space and this actress who played white witch Olive Hawthorne in The Daemons was interviewed. I could have sworn she was dead but I suppose she had the sort of face that made her look older than she actually was.

Comments

• Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly certain she was not dead when she was interviewed. If she was, she was hiding it well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to IMDB she's alive and aged 80
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain she was not dead when she was interviewed. If she was, she was hiding it well.

Touche :)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damaris Hayman is one of those people who was born aged 60. She's still going strong!

I have just read a biography of the great old actor Margaret Rutherford (also born aged 60), which quotes Miss Hayman heavily. Dame Margaret was a very dear friend of hers: in The Daemons, Miss Hawthorn wears one of her cloaks!
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    She was alsoi a friend of Tony Hancock for a few years prior to his death
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damaris Hayman is one of those people who was born aged 60. She's still going strong!

I have just read a biography of the great old actor Margaret Rutherford (also born aged 60), which quotes Miss Hayman heavily. Dame Margaret was a very dear friend of hers: in The Daemons, Miss Hawthorn wears one of her cloaks!

Has that just come out? I saw one in hardback the other day and was thinking of getting it.

BTW chuff, as a fellow Barbara fan, have you watched the making of doc on The Dalek Invasion Of Earth? The actress who played Jenny has some lovely things to say about Jacquline Hill.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a feature on "The Daemons" in the current DWM - of the guest stars they profile she's the only one still alive (she also appeared in a 'Confessions of ...' film shortly after :eek:).

G
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Has that just come out? I saw one in hardback the other day and was thinking of getting it.

BTW chuff, as a fellow Barbara fan, have you watched the making of doc on The Dalek Invasion Of Earth? The actress who played Jenny has some lovely things to say about Jacquline Hill.

There is a lovely new book on Margaret out. "Dreadnought With Good Manners"."
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek:
    Margaret Rutherford must be dead now - if not she must be in her early 100s !
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    :eek:
    Margaret Rutherford must be dead now - if not she must be in her early 100s !

Margaret died in 1972 at the age of 80. (She would have been 118 this year had she lived)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the book: "Dreadnaught With Good Manners". Father Christmas brought it for me, and it's fascinating. Damaris Hayman is quoted quite a lot. I can heartily recommend the book, and it inspired me to watch Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple films again at the weekend. luxury. Absolute bliss.

It's funny you should mention Dalek Invasion of Earth, Gslam: Mrs Chuff has just finished the audio book, and we were pondering watching the DVDs! (Have I been identified as a Barbara Fan?! GOOD! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the book: "Dreadnaught With Good Manners". Father Christmas brought it for me, and it's fascinating. Damaris Hayman is quoted quite a lot. I can heartily recommend the book, and it inspired me to watch Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple films again at the weekend. luxury. Absolute bliss.

It's funny you should mention Dalek Invasion of Earth, Gslam: Mrs Chuff has just finished the audio book, and we were pondering watching the DVDs! (Have I been identified as a Barbara Fan?! GOOD! :D)

Over past couple of years I've come to appreciate the Rutherford Marples a lot more than I used to. They make no pretensions to be anything more than light comedy versions of the books. In fact I would go so far as to say that they are even better than the Geraldine McEwan travesties on ITV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. I watched Murder Most Foul at the weekend. "Based on" the Poirot novel Mrs McGinty's Dead, but with so little in common with the novel (including replacing Poirot with Miss M) that I watched it as a totally new thing and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mrs Chuff and I watched the TV adaptation of Mrs McGinty recently, and it was only as we got to the end of the film that the spouse said "Is this anything to do with the Pirot we just watched?!".

Geraldine McEwan? PAH! :p