The BBC "Consider Yourself One Of Us" trailer

12346»

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    bobmeades wrote: »
    Or any other Attenbough Eye Candy show:D

Anglia TV's Survival did a far more interesting job on Wildlife years ago & I be a lot less expensive too.

No they didn't Bob - and you haven't actually watched "Frozen Planet" either, have you Bob?

In another thread you didn't even know what "Freeze Frame" was!

As for a lot less expensive - can you explain that, with figures?
  • Options
    jarod74jarod74 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Personally I like it, something cheerful to catch in between programmes. I also like it`s message of `sharing` very simplistic - yes, however it evokes the feeling of the country `pulling together` for a `scaled back` Christmas due to the present times. Feel free to call me sad or whatever, but I actually look forward to the trailers / idents even the xmas edition of the Radio times it all adds to traditions of how I see Christmas media wise.

For myself this year, Christmas will be much more meaningful as last year shortly before this time, I was almost killed in an arson attack on my home. So whether i`m typing this with `rose-tinted specs` on I`m not sure, but as a humble viewer, I like the `sentiment` - whatever the costs involved.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    The advert is a waste, it's completely unnecessary. It's not promoting a product they're trying to sell, everyone who's watching TV has already paid the TVL (and I doubt the BBC Crimbo spot is going to convert any evaders), and as has been pointed out, everyone who sees the spot is already watching BBC TV.

Or are they advertising Christmas? Maybe that's it.

Hmm...Well I've only seen it once (as I said earlier, I don't watch the BBC very often). I am unlikely to watch any of the "Christmasy" type programmes as they just don't appeal to me.

I did however, think that the trailer was quite appropriate, in that it portrayed a "feel-good" atmosphere and would, I feel, make BBC 1's target audience think that BBC 1 is going to be great over Christmas. Essentially (I feel) that is what the promo is trying to communicate. (I.E. don't watch them, watch us).

If higher viewing figures are attained, as a result of the promo, then the BBC is providing more value, for the money it has spent, on making the programmes that are shown.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobmeades wrote: »
    Or any other Attenbough Eye Candy show:D

Anglia TV's Survival did a far more interesting job on Wildlife years ago & I be a lot less expensive too.

Survival had a good reputation but I didn't think they produced as much as the BBC Natural History Unit probably because ITV did not transmit as much of that type of programming on network especially after BBC2 started.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except, of course, she was cleared of any involvement. So hardly a relevant comment. But I assume you just did it to get another dig in. Which is what you do. :(

It was a joke. Just imagine Jeremy Clarkson was saying it.

And FWIW, she did receive £20,000 worth of free air miles, which she had to give back, so the comment was both tongue in cheek and entirely relevant.
  • Options
    groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, you mean "with the proposed £15m cutback"

It was a typo and by the time i realised i was unable to edit my post to correct the spelling.
  • Options
    fox on the runfox on the run Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Surely people are missing the point as to why this song has been used. The final line is CONSIDER YOURSELF ONE OF US. This suggests that the viewer is part of the Christmas output and also includes ONE for BBC One.
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it just me or is it getting rather annoying quickly
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    is it just me or is it getting rather annoying quickly
    Is it just me or does David Jason look like Hannibal Lecter in it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the BBC do Christmas better across all of its outlets than any other broadcaster, and they try to make it special for all their viewers and listeners they put a lot of effort into it, yeah they sometimes get things wrong like all other organisations..nothing is perfect! I think we are one of a few countries were their broadcasters do special programming for the Christmas holiday schedules, networks in America just show re runs of their best dramas and sitcoms, big films and sport, at least here our broadcasters try and that goes for all of the main five channels!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Surely people are missing the point as to why this song has been used. The final line is CONSIDER YOURSELF ONE OF US. This suggests that the viewer is part of the Christmas output and also includes ONE for BBC One.
    Not me. I got it from the start.:D
  • Options
    smellydoghousesmellydoghouse Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    There really isn’t any need for these “concept” trails. BBC research has shown that simple clip based trails are more effective but there appears to be a need to keep churning out these expensive self indulgent pieces. A more interesting FOI request might be to ask the number and cost of concept trails that have been made but not actually made it to air (anyone remember the radio1 one ?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Is it just me or does David Jason look like Hannibal Lecter in it?
    Ha! Ha! I looked again at the advert with that in mind and I see what you mean!
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He looks like hes just been made up by a Funeral Director before being put in a coffin.

That promo makes me change channels as soon as it pops up. Cheese isn't as cheesy as that promo. :D
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly puts a far more entertaining end to the promo in ones mind.....
  • Options
    Soulrebel1980Soulrebel1980 Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    AS soon as Norton's smirking face appears I switch over, Maybe ITV commissioned the trailer?
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarod74 wrote: »
    Personally I like it, something cheerful to catch in between programmes. I also like it`s message of `sharing` very simplistic - yes, however it evokes the feeling of the country `pulling together` for a `scaled back` Christmas due to the present times. Feel free to call me sad or whatever, but I actually look forward to the trailers / idents even the xmas edition of the Radio times it all adds to traditions of how I see Christmas media wise.

For myself this year, Christmas will be much more meaningful as last year shortly before this time, I was almost killed in an arson attack on my home. So whether i`m typing this with `rose-tinted specs` on I`m not sure, but as a humble viewer, I like the `sentiment` - whatever the costs involved.

I love them too. It is nice to see the penguins back as well...love them to.

Thanks BBC...a nice positive distraction during these dark and depressing times.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    I personally think the BBC do Christmas better across all of its outlets than any other broadcaster, and they try to make it special for all their viewers and listeners they put a lot of effort into it, yeah they sometimes get things wrong like all other organisations..nothing is perfect! I think we are one of a few countries were their broadcasters do special programming for the Christmas holiday schedules, networks in America just show re runs of their best dramas and sitcoms, big films and sport, at least here our broadcasters try and that goes for all of the main five channels!

I love the Christmassy take on The One Show theme too. All the bells...ah.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some behind the scenes stuff here on Blue Peter. From 2mins in
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0183581/Blue_Peter_05_12_2011/