Options

The BBC1 Christmas Ident Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    They normally don't. Remember that they had to use the news version at every junction after the Doctor Who episode on New Year's Day 2010 because it featured the Tenth Doctor, who'd just regenerated into the Eleventh?
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    They normally don't. Remember that they had to use the news version at every junction after the Doctor Who episode on New Year's Day 2010 because it featured the Tenth Doctor, who'd just regenerated into the Eleventh?

Could you please indicate which comment you are replying to. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »

I see what you mean now. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we approach the point where BBC1 and BBC2 revert back to their regular idents, anyone got any more of an idea as to when this is going to happen for either channel?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming they are still using them today then it will definally be today as the last day.

Tomorrow BBC1 are running normal weekday morning programmes (Homes under the Hammer etc), so I doubt they would use Christmas idents for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    The only 'possible' exception is BBC1 Scotland who may continue to use the festive idents on Monday and even Tuesday as Scotland has two bank holidays.

In previous years they have continued to use the idents longer than network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Assuming they are still using them today then it will definally be today as the last day.

Tomorrow BBC1 are running normal weekday morning programmes (Homes under the Hammer etc), so I doubt they would use Christmas idents for that.

They are still being used today on BBC1 and BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowball wrote: »
    The only 'possible' exception is BBC1 Scotland who may continue to use the festive idents on Monday and even Tuesday as Scotland has two bank holidays.

In previous years they have continued to use the idents longer than network.

Cheers for that. I'll set my Sky box to record all junctions on BBC1 Scotland until the change back - hopefully, I'll capture some shown at full-length!
    BBC1 Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland seem to, on occasions, be more inclined to show the idents for longer/play them with very little continuity announcement than network do, although network also normally show them for longer on their final showings.
    Incidentally, I wish I'd have known about the special 'Burns' Anniversary BBC Scotland idents before they stopped showing them, I'd love to have captured them straight to DVD. Never mind.
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is wishful thinking but it's quite a big night for BBC One tonight, with a seminal EastEnders episode at 7pm followed by the return of Sherlock. I wonder if the revert to normal idents will take place this evening when the powers that be know they will have a large audience... perhaps even a new circle ident?! Now that is wishful thinking!! However, the New Year's Day trailer is still in the festive vein, so no doubt I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    This is wishful thinking but it's quite a big night for BBC One tonight, with a seminal EastEnders episode at 7pm followed by the return of Sherlock. I wonder if the revert to normal idents will take place this evening when the powers that be know they will have a large audience... perhaps even a new circle ident?! Now that is wishful thinking!! However, the New Year's Day trailer is still in the festive vein, so no doubt I'm wrong.

I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, BBC1 have never reverted back to their normal idents on an evening, after the end of the Christmas season.
    A new BBC1 ident to be first used on New Year's Day, now you are in dreamland ! This hasn't happened for a couple of years now and we've had virtually nothing - at any time - for the past year or so. I expect that a complete rebrand will take place sometime this year, which the BBC will need to have a stack of money to be able to pay for, and, as you are no doubt aware, the BBC has considerable budget constraints at the moment.
    While I'm on this point, why are many of the most recent BBC1 idents the programme-specific variety, which obviously have to be shelved as soon as the particular series has finished? Surely it makes more sense to make only "regular" idents, while they don't have much money to play with, so that they can play them before all general programming, and, therefore, it makes better use of the money spent? It's non-sensical to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normal idents return for the 7pm Eastenders!, Duncan Newmarch the BBC1 announcer just asked "where did that cake go"?..lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    Normal idents return for the 7pm Eastenders!, Duncan Newmarch the BBC1 announcer just asked "where did that cake go"?..lol

I think this could be the first time that network BBC1 has gone back to normal idents during the evening of New Years Day (instead of the morning).

Is BBC1 Scotland still showing the xmas one this evening?

I'll really miss BBC2's offering, it was an excellent christmas ident, arguably the best one they've ever shown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, BBC1 have never reverted back to their normal idents on an evening, after the end of the Christmas season.
    A new BBC1 ident to be first used on New Year's Day, now you are in dreamland ! This hasn't happened for a couple of years now and we've had virtually nothing - at any time - for the past year or so. I expect that a complete rebrand will take place sometime this year, which the BBC will need to have a stack of money to be able to pay for, and, as you are no doubt aware, the BBC has considerable budget constraints at the moment.
    While I'm on this point, why are many of the most recent BBC1 idents the programme-specific variety, which obviously have to be shelved as soon as the particular series has finished? Surely it makes more sense to make only "regular" idents, while they don't have much money to play with, so that they can play them before all general programming, and, therefore, it makes better use of the money spent? It's non-sensical to me.

Well I was right about one thing: they did return to normal idents at 7pm tonight. As I said this morning, it's a big night for BBC One tonight. I'm only disappointed it wasn't a new take on the circle but I appreciate your point about finances at the Beeb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was right about one thing: they did return to normal idents at 7pm tonight. As I said this morning, it's a big night for BBC One tonight. I'm only disappointed it wasn't a new take on the circle but I appreciate your point about finances at the Beeb.

Just got back to the PC and thought I'd just say well done for anticipating this evening's ident changeover correctly. I assume the first ident was the short edit of 'Capes', just before Eastenders. It was played a little longer than usual, with Duncan Newmarch messing about at the start of his announcement, referring to Christmas cake or something.
    BBC2 also changed back at around the same time. They had very confused continuity at the junction just before 'Dad's Army'. First, there was a regular (non-Christmas) graphic to show a programme coming up, then a promo ending with the BBC2 Christmas graphic, then the 'Tent - Mountain version' ident . What happened there?
    I do hope we get one or two new BBC1 idents sometime in the near future, before the possible ident rebrand this year. You just cannot tell how far off the rebrand is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back to the PC and thought I'd just say well done for anticipating this evening's ident changeover correctly. I assume the first ident was the short edit of 'Capes', just before Eastenders. It was played a little longer than usual, with Duncan Newmarch messing about at the start of his announcement, referring to Christmas cake or something.
    BBC2 also changed back at around the same time. They had very confused continuity at the junction just before 'Dad's Army'. First, there was a regular (non-Christmas) graphic to show a programme coming up, then a promo ending with the BBC2 Christmas graphic, then the 'Tent - Mountain version' ident . What happened there?
    I do hope we get one or two new BBC1 idents sometime in the near future, before the possible ident rebrand this year. You just cannot tell how far off the rebrand is.

Yes, something similarly confusing about BBC One tonight is that the trailer for The Royal Bodyguard tomorrow is still festive-themed.

I agree that it would be nice for an ident refresh on BBC One but I'm not sure about a complete overhaul: I think the circles have worked very well and I would be happy with a new set of circle idents with perhaps some tweaking to trailers and slides. But who knows what is planned? It will be interesting to see what happens around Olympics time.

Another Christmas over... back to normality!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, something similarly confusing about BBC One tonight is that the trailer for The Royal Bodyguard tomorrow is still festive-themed.

I agree that it would be nice for an ident refresh on BBC One but I'm not sure about a complete overhaul: I think the circles have worked very well and I would be happy with a new set of circle idents with perhaps some tweaking to trailers and slides. But who knows what is planned? It will be interesting to see what happens around Olympics time.

Another Christmas over... back to normality!!

I think that one of the factors in BBC1's decision to revert back to the regular idents just before Eastenders yesterday evening is because there wasn’t any Christmas ident made with sufficiently serious music for such a sombre episode, in the same way that the Christmas 2011 ident 'news' version wasn’t serious enough in tone for news bulletins. This is a point I've spoken about before in other forums. The BBC often seem to not make a sufficiently serious version of their Christmas ident to play out before news/other very serious programming. I know that the Christmas period is all about fun and jollity but the news and other very serious programming still should be preceded by idents with sufficient seriousness, even at Christmas time. Can you imagine the relatively cheery music of the Christmas ident 'news' version we have become used to in the last couple of weeks played out before this episode of Eastenders which ended with Pat's death. The music used in the 'news' version of the Christmas idents featuring David Tennant/Doctor Who a couple of years ago got this balance absolutely right.

BBC2 also played ‘The Royal Bodyguard’ promo (the festive version, and with the sparkly BBC One swirl at the beginning) just before the handover to the news channel in the night (after their change back to the regular idents). They obviously only made one version of it.

I was a huge fan of the current BBC1 ‘circles’ ident era, but they have made such a mess of the shortened ‘refreshed’ versions. Apart from a couple, which have not had much alteration, many of these refreshed versions simply don’t work. For instance, look at the footage of the kite-flyers before the form-up of ‘Kites’, it’s ridiculously brief. Also look at the long edit of ‘Capes’, where the shot of the lone man’s face on the balcony before the form-up is completely obscured by the BBC One in the centre of the screen.

If BBC1 do still have their current ‘Circles’ branding by the time of the Olympics coverage, I don’t suppose they will be stuck for ideas when it comes to incorporating circles in any new idents they make !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that one of the factors in BBC1's decision to revert back to the regular idents just before Eastenders yesterday evening is because there wasn’t any Christmas ident made with sufficiently serious music for such a sombre episode, in the same way that the Christmas 2011 ident 'news' version wasn’t serious enough in tone for news bulletins. This is a point I've spoken about before in other forums. The BBC often seem to not make a sufficiently serious version of their Christmas ident to play out before news/other very serious programming. I know that the Christmas period is all about fun and jollity but the news and other very serious programming still should be preceded by idents with sufficient seriousness, even at Christmas time. Can you imagine the relatively cheery music of the Christmas ident 'news' version we have become used to in the last couple of weeks played out before this episode of Eastenders which ended with Pat's death. The music used in the 'news' version of the Christmas idents featuring David Tennant/Doctor Who a couple of years ago got this balance absolutely right.

BBC2 also played ‘The Royal Bodyguard’ promo (the festive version, and with the sparkly BBC One swirl at the beginning) just before the handover to the news channel in the night (after their change back to the regular idents). They obviously only made one version of it.

I was a huge fan of the current BBC1 ‘circles’ ident era, but they have made such a mess of the shortened ‘refreshed’ versions. Apart from a couple, which have not had much alteration, many of these refreshed versions simply don’t work. For instance, look at the footage of the kite-flyers before the form-up of ‘Kites’, it’s ridiculously brief. Also look at the long edit of ‘Capes’, where the shot of the lone man’s face on the balcony before the form-up is completely obscured by the BBC One in the centre of the screen.

If BBC1 do still have their current ‘Circles’ branding by the time of the Olympics coverage, I don’t suppose they will be stuck for ideas when it comes to incorporating circles in any new idents they make !

I totally agree with you about the unnecessarily shortened circle idents. Such a shame, yet this is in keeping with the modern age of BBC television, I suppose - look at the way credits are squeezed at the end of programmes and how theme tunes are no longer able to play out at full length. We're in a culture where tv execs know that (general) audiences are impatient. It's sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you about the unnecessarily shortened circle idents. Such a shame, yet this is in keeping with the modern age of BBC television, I suppose - look at the way credits are squeezed at the end of programmes and how theme tunes are no longer able to play out at full length. We're in a culture where tv execs know that (general) audiences are impatient. It's sad.

I'm just glad that my interest in BBC1 and BBC2 idents began in around 1995, long before the 'Circles' era and that I have all of the original edits of the 'Circles' idents safely compiled on DVD for me to look at and enjoy, and by persevering with repeated recordings of junctions, I have most of them in full length. I'm also glad that I recorded many classic TV themes to VHS, long before it was the norm to have them interrupted and spoilt by endless announcements, and have since transferred them all to DVD. With all these recordings I've made over recent years, at least I can enjoy how it all used to be !!!
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Christmas idents and the music.
    They made me feel jolly.
    I'm going to miss them.
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They made me feel jolly.
    I'm going to miss them.

I'll miss them, too- it was a miserable thing to do to take them off before the bank holiday, at least the non- Christmas specific Gruffalo one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll miss them, too- it was a miserable thing to do to take them off before the bank holiday, at least the non- Christmas specific Gruffalo one.

I don't think that the BBC would consider the 'Gruffalo' ident a non-Christmas one, with that thick blanket of snow, and the sparkly 'BBC One' logo.
    I agree, though, that the changeover back to the regular 'refreshed' versions of the BBC1 'circle' idents are not an entirely welcome return. Bring back the original edits, once again, BBC - They were infinitely better :cry: !!
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that the BBC would consider the 'Gruffalo' ident a non-Christmas one, with that thick blanket of snow, and the sparkly 'BBC One' logo.
    I agree, though, that the changeover back to the regular 'refreshed' versions of the BBC1 'circle' idents are not an entirely welcome return. Bring back the original edits, once again, BBC - They were infinitely better :cry: !!

"non- Christmas specific"- a winter scene, without Christmas iconography.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "non- Christmas specific"- a winter scene, without Christmas iconography.

I understand what you mean, but I expect that the 'sparkly' BBC One logo is enough for the BBC to consider it an ident intended for Christmas. None of the regular idents ever have a 'sparkly' BBC One logo.
  • Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They made me feel jolly.
    I'm going to miss them.

I hated them & found them really irritating!

Liked the bbc2 one though.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot imaging how something so insignificent and unimportant as an ident logo on TV can generate so much interest. I would have thought that the quality and content of the actual programmes are far more important and of interest. I choose watch any particular channel for the programme it shows the ident logo is of low to no importance for me.