Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

Comments

• Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to admit, when I first saw the trailer my mum turned round to me and said, "Another Transformers movie?"
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. I have seen lots of bus posters- every one in Leeds seems to have one at the moment - and one advert on TV but have to agree that cinema advertising has been virtually non-existent

As for a film needing "big" names to guarantee success. How many LOTR stars were "big" names before the films?
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it will look amazing andi hope it will do ok
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it. I have seen lots of bus posters- every one in Leeds seems to have one at the moment - and one advert on TV but have to agree that cinema advertising has been virtually non-existent

As for a film needing "big" names to guarantee success. How many LOTR stars were "big" names before the films?

Viggo mortenson
    Ian McKellen
    Ian Holm
    Sean Bean
    Bloke from Lost
    Christopher Lee
    Bloke from Matrix

:p
  • Aurora04Aurora04 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I have seen it and in my opinion it was awful.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    Erm..true. But LotR was a book once, or so I'm told. Some people may even have read it.

Whereas Pacific Rim is just....Pacific Rim.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora04 wrote: »
    I have seen it and in my opinion it was awful.

Sorry, but i need more.

When, where and how? Give us your proper review of the film.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Sorry, but i need more.

When, where and how? Give us your proper review of the film.

yes please enlighten us!!! :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard of any preview screenings of the film, so I doubt anyone outside of the cast and crew has seen it ..
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've read that the reviews for Pacific Rim are embargoed but I don't know untill when.Im guessing it will be early next week as the film is out next Friday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen the DS story of celebs praising the movie?

Tweets smell something fishy! :D In my opinion.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Elba's Luther co-star Sienna Guillory also turned out for the film's debut, as did 'MMMBop' hitmakers Hanson.

Oooooookay......
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard of any preview screenings of the film, so I doubt anyone outside of the cast and crew has seen it ..

There have definitely been preview screenings, actually, with test screenings as far back as feb and march of this year. So quite a lot of people outside the cast and crew has seen it at this point.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I watched Olympus Has Fallen this morning. Damn good action flick. Had no idea it had done so poorly at the box office. It had no advertising over here that I saw of, but it should've done much better than $160m worldwide.

That's actually quite healthy for an R/15 rated movie it took just shy of $100 million in the U.S on a production budget of 80. The movie is more a less in the black already with international takings too.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Both Boyd Hilton and Simon Mayo have put on twitter that they would see Pacific Rim again but they can't say anymore.Boyd them said its like Transformers with characters you actually care about!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Both Boyd Hilton and Simon Mayo have put on twitter that they would see Pacific Rim again but they can't say anymore.Boyd them said its like Transformers with characters you actually care about!

Well Kanye West has tweeted that it's the greatest film he's ever seen so what more endorsement than that do you need? :D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Kanye West has tweeted that it's the greatest film he's ever seen so what more endorsement than that do you need? :D

*tumbleweed*

;)
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, the buzz about Pacific Rim started last year since it was the film that Del Toro left the Hobbit to make.
    This is such a wildly inaccurate statement.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Went to a preview screening earlier today and I thought that it was just an absolutely fantastic big budget summer blockbuster:cool:. Loved the design & implementation of both the Kaiju & Jaegers and felt the fight sequences were very well choreographed indeed.

Although performance wise the only actors that really stood out were Mana Ashida (as 'Young Mako') & Ron Perlman I still thought everyone else involved was pretty solid and I even warmed to the two (initially) very irritating research scientists by the time we were about midway through the movie. Story wise I'm not going to pretend there was anything particular deep going on here but it moved along at a decent pace and to be fair this film was more about delivering a visual spectacle (which it did in spades).

Overall this gets a 9/10 from me and as I think that it's trailers are pretty representative of the film that is on offer I'd suggest using them as a guide when deciding whether or not to go and see this when it opens nationwide on Friday...
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting publicity. My cheap Red Bull substitute (39p compared to £1.20) has it all over their cans. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Story wise I'm not going to pretend there was anything particular deep going on here but it moved along at a decent pace and to be fair this film was more about delivering a visual spectacle (which it did in spades).

Overall this gets a 9/10 from me and as I think that it's trailers are pretty representative of the film that is on offer

So it really is just robots fighting monsters? Remind you of Transformers at all?

By the way Idris Elba was on The One Show last night doing promo for Pacific Rim.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So it really is just robots fighting monsters? Remind you of Transformers at all?
    Well there's a bit more to it than that but yeah essentially robots vs monsters represents a substantial proportion of the film's running time.

I have to say that I didn't get a Transformers type vibe from the fight sequences, they're certainly far more fluid & less chaotic than those directed by Michael Bay.

There's a lot of shots switching between the pilots making a move & the Jaegers implementing it so it feels very much like watching a man vs animal fight than anything else...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Well there's a bit more to it than that but yeah essentially robots vs monsters represents a substantial proportion of the film's running time.

I have to say that I didn't get a Transformers type vibe from the fight sequences, they're certainly far more fluid & less chaotic than those directed by Michael Bay.

There's a lot of shots switching between the pilots making a move & the Jaegers implementing it so it feels very much like watching a man vs animal fight than anything else...

Cool, well either way i'm still gonna check it out because the trailers do make the film look awesome!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money available world-wide has obviously led the US film studios astray.

They can make films like "Pacific Rim" and they will make some money, even if the US public reject it big time.

So the world is the under-writer for US movies. At the moment.

It will probably crash and burn very soon as "the world" get's sick of the same old shallow tat.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just looks like a pile o shyte rip off of that film Battleship, it might appeal to the Leonard's and Sheldons of the world but will not engage with the masses.