Why does Steve Wright have to spoil everything?

Comments

• RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I adore Steve Wright and I wouldn't change a thing. He makes me laugh, he entertains me and I couldn't give a flying anything if he sings over the music he plays, at least he's listening to it. :)

Me too!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    fattmaude wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with you people? Steve Wright is a living legend, show some respect :rolleyes:

Is he? Sure he isn't yet a 'National Treasure' (Might as well be, nearly everyone esle is).. Respect? Why? Has he earned mine? Ermmmmm. Nope.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    With current thinking wanting less personality and a tight format i think Steve's show is unique these days to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I was a kid when he was on R1 and I liked the show, probably not the norm for my friends to listen too but I always liked that show, so now he is on R2, I still like it but I chop between Tallksport and R2 depending on what happened the night before.

One thing I know has been debated in here before but cant find a answer too.

Is it live the show, part of me feels something is not right, the other day on jeremy vine, he interacts a lot with sally traffic, steve does not, she said the other day there was a problem in Barcelona, she goes Barcelona in cornwall, now surely if he was live with here there he would pick up on it, instead he just gave her 3 stars and moved on ?????????????

He gets the weather right, people from all over Europe say the love the show and they do read out things that happen in the papers that day, but the whole sally traffic interaction is never there, never at all, why is this ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I was a kid when he was on R1 and I liked the show, probably not the norm for my friends to listen too but I always liked that show, so now he is on R2, I still like it but I chop between Tallksport and R2 depending on what happened the night before.

Is it live the show, part of me feels something is not right, the other day on jeremy vine, he interacts a lot with sally traffic, steve does not, she said the other day there was a problem in Barcelona, she goes Barcelona in cornwall, now surely if he was live with here there he would pick up on it, instead he just gave her 3 stars and moved on ?????????????

He gets the weather right, people from all over Europe say the love the show and they do read out things that happen in the papers that day, but the whole sally traffic interaction is never there, never at all, why is this ?

The show is live but most things are pre recorded earlier in the day, Inc interviews, factoids old woman and Elvis, he did use to interact more with the travel but there was an incident when the travel person mentioned something about one of his guests, which had not been played out, so it sounded disjointed ....

Steve is a perfectionist, and likes to know everything which is going out, so the real live content is usually his links , the longer interactive segments are 'recorded and edited to suit.

This is why songs are cut short as you can rarely time a live interview to the second, but as he knows the time of the interviews before hand, he has to makes that time available ,
  • AgentpopsicleAgentpopsicle Posts: 52
    Forum Member

Probably because everyone else is doing it and would suggest that Steve realises that the majority of listeners do not want to endure traffic/dj banter about nothing in particular after what can be upwards of two minutes of speech per bulletin. He's got his mind on other things, to much else to cram into the show etc. Perhaps he see's her as an intrusion or cant stand the woman, maybe he's tried it in the past and finds it hard to bounce off her who knows. Personally I think he's right to steer clear of idle chit chat as there's probably no time to prep or rehearse anything. Going in "cold" would run the risk of it falling flat on it's arse.

Some parts of his show are pre recorded "as-live" like his celebrity interviews and hey why not? You're not doing the listener a disservice by cutting a raw 25 minute interview down to two six minute segments. What you are doing is giving them the best of that interview. Normal listeners, i.e "non anoraks" don't know or really care if it's live or recorded - it's the end product that comes out of the speakers which is the important thing.

As a general response to other negative posters in this thread, there's no getting away from the fact that he's a master of his art and it's great to hear that he still cares about the final product. After 33 years on network radio he could have become complacent, but he hasn't which is why he's still there and puts in a huge amount of effort on every show. People seem to complain about the most trivial things about Steve and see him as an easy target. I've said this before and I will say it again, people who look for trivial things to complain about, usually aren't happy in themselves or some aspect of their life, but we're getting off the subject. Lets' put it in perspective. The guy is doing fun radio and is not a terrorist or rapist is he? If you want to complain about anyone, complain about them if you must find something to moan about, not a radio presenter who works hard day in day out to lift the atmosphere and provide entertaining and engaging radio. I say enjoy him while he's still doing it because one day he won't be there. I personally have nothing but admiration for this guy. Steve, I f&**ing love the show!!
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,401
    Forum Member
    Probably because everyone else is doing it and would suggest that Steve realises that the majority of listeners do not want to endure traffic/dj banter about nothing in particular after what can be upwards of two minutes of speech per bulletin. He's got his mind on other things, to much else to cram into the show etc. Perhaps he see's her as an intrusion or cant stand the woman, maybe he's tried it in the past and finds it hard to bounce off her who knows. Personally I think he's right to steer clear of idle chit chat as there's probably no time to prep or rehearse anything. Going in "cold" would run the risk of it falling flat on it's arse.

Some parts of his show are pre recorded "as-live" like his celebrity interviews and hey why not? You're not doing the listener a disservice by cutting a raw 25 minute interview down to two six minute segments. What you are doing is giving them the best of that interview. Normal listeners, i.e "non anoraks" don't know or really care if it's live or recorded - it's the end product that comes out of the speakers which is the important thing.

As a general response to other negative posters in this thread, there's no getting away from the fact that he's a master of his art and it's great to hear that he still cares about the final product. After 33 years on network radio he could have become complacent, but he hasn't which is why he's still there and puts in a huge amount of effort on every show. People seem to complain about the most trivial things about Steve and see him as an easy target. I've said this before and I will say it again, people who look for trivial things to complain about, usually aren't happy in themselves or some aspect of their life, but we're getting off the subject. Lets' put it in perspective. The guy is doing fun radio and is not a terrorist or rapist is he? If you want to complain about anyone, complain about them if you must find something to moan about, not a radio presenter who works hard day in day out to lift the atmosphere and provide entertaining and engaging radio. I say enjoy him while he's still doing it because one day he won't be there. I personally have nothing but admiration for this guy. Steve, I f&**ing love the show!!

I agree with some of what you say but I Steve is very complacent. The show sounds no different to 10 years ago and it is clear he thinks he's bigger than everything else and more important. He is a fine broadcaster but he doesn't need to sing over songs and talk over promos and jingles. That is nothing but ego. As for the hacking short of songs, that is just lazy and complacency. You don't get to his level of experience and brilliance without knowing how to back time.

He is a very good broadcaster and in my view his ego and need to talk over everything and hack songs lets the show down. He is capable of doing it which makes it worse that he doesn't.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

Not denying he's technically good, but the show sounds the same every day. Like it's manufactured. Pre-packed if you like. That is the result of 2 things - pre-recorded inserts and same old features day in, day out. It's almost as if the guy has OCD.

And for those who say "Turn off if you don't like it", I'm already one step ahead of you. Tried Steve's show for a while (as a relatively new R2 listener - used to listen to local radio) and I got bored quite quickly. My opinion, which I'm allowed, regardless of the fanboys.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a while since I listened to Steve Wright in the Afternoon, though obviously nothing has changed since I last did. My feeling about the show is that because so many of the segments are pre-recorded, the whole show ends up sounding very pre-packaged, perhaps almost 'artifical', completing lacking the natural flow that you get on other shows.

For example, on Radcliffe and Maconie, which I listen to instead, they are able to pick up on something unexpected, such as a listener text, and run with it through the the rest of the programme. And the advantage of a live guest is that they are able to react to things that are currently happening on the show, for example, on yesterday's Simon Mayo show, they were talking about bouncy castles, and then went over to the guest Mark Lawson, where his first question was: "So when did you last have a go on a bouncy castle?" Things like that just cannot happen on a show like Steve Wright's where everything pre-planned down to the last minute.

But I don't begrudge his slot on Radio 2, as millions still 'love the show', and there are plenty of alternatives for those who don't.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve is a perfectionist, .

At what ? :confused:
    Forum Member
    At what ? ?? What do you think , shoplifting ?? Stupid comment, and now waits for sarcastic reply.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And for those who say "Turn off if you don't like it", .

Not everyone has that option with this show, though. For many, it will be on at work because Radio 2 is the station of choice, forcing them to endure Steve Wright in the Afternoon whether they like it or not.
    Forum Member
    Not denying he's technically good, but the show sounds the same every day.

Great radio shows should be similar in format everyday , if Ken Bruce did postmaster at 11:45, occasionally or Jeremy Vine started playing an hour's rap music, it's a bit like KFC changing their recipe everyday , it would be a disaster.
    Forum Member
    Not denying he's technically good, but the show sounds the same every day.

Great radio shows should be similar in format everyday , if Ken Bruce did postmaster at 11:45, occasionally or Jeremy Vine started playing an hour's rap music, it's a bit like KFC changing their recipe everyday , it would be a disaster.

Simmilar yes but not lazy. The skill of s radio presemter is to do the same every day but make it sound different. Benchmarks are essential but you need to freshen it up now and again.
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you Steve Wright ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    bring back mark and lard, oh how i wish for a bit of fat harry white,one man and his frog,is it worth owt !! and all the other funnies..great times
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    oscar12 wrote: »
    bring back mark and lard, oh how i wish for a bit of fat harry white,one man and his frog,is it worth owt !! and all the other funnies..great times

But in its way, these became as repetitious as Steve Wright is now. Mark and Lard, though, knew when to stop.

'In Depth Reportage' with a phone-in expert who always seemed to have Lard's Manchester accent "Ellohh, Maaaark", "it's quarter past... STOP! CARRY ON!... two", Fat Harry White: as you say, very funny in 1998, great times then, but I wouldn't want to bring it back.

This is precisely the problem with Steve Wright's show, from the bits I've heard, nothing is really evolving from when he was on Radio 1 twenty years ago.
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »

Simmilar yes but not lazy. The skill of s radio presemter is to do the same every day but make it sound different. Benchmarks are essential but you need to freshen it up now and again.

Lazy, how is Steve wright Lazy ? He has found a format that works, really works, you may not like it, you are entitled to that, but name me another Presenter who puts the hours in for 1 show, and benchmarks, what a horrible commercial radio expression.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Say 'social meeejah' again Steve. Hilarious.
    Forum Member

Lazy, how is Steve wright Lazy ? He has found a format that works, really works, you may not like it, you are entitled to that, but name me another Presenter who puts the hours in for 1 show, and benchmarks, what a horrible commercial radio expression.

It is lazy because there is no effort made to come up with anything new or even make the old sound new. He just relaxes and churns out the same stuff in exactly the same way. I think his show is good and respect him highly but things like that and the awful timing and hacking of songs lets him down. He can do better but chooses not to put that tiny bit of extra effort in. That is why he is lazy.
  • hallchallc Posts: 199,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non stop oldies,, he never stops talking through them ...time to go Bonny lad
    Forum Member

It is lazy because there is no effort made to come up with anything new or even make the old sound new. He just relaxes and churns out the same stuff in exactly the same way. I think his show is good and respect him highly but things like that and the awful timing and hacking of songs lets him down. He can do better but chooses not to put that tiny bit of extra effort in. That is why he is lazy.

He presents a lifestyle show , it's not about the music, the fact it is really packed full of production, means he works really hard on the show, so song fades is part of the show, always has been, I do agree however about the non stop oldies , it does not say what it does on the tin.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He presents a lifestyle show , it's not about the music, the fact it is really packed full of production, means he works really hard on the show, so song fades is part of the show, always has been, I do agree however about the non stop oldies , it does not say what it does on the tin.

Good grief. Do you mean, it's all about him ? :eek:
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Guys, can you watch your quote tags, as they're getting mixed up.
  • leddersledders Posts: 2,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem here is that some people don't like personality based radio, which is what Steve Wright delivers.

I think it is a brilliant listen. But then again, I want to hear what a presenter has got to say, not just listen to 6 tracks in a row. If you want to listen to that kind of rubbish, go and listen to the crap that is heart.