Options

1970s childhood...

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninz39 wrote: »
    And the cinema, you could go in and stay in there all day, no one would oik you out after one showing. And there were two films not one.......and in the interval the ice cream lady would come out with choc ices and lollies. For some reason we always seemed to arrive as the main film was ending so we watched the ending before the beginning!

And they played the national anthem. Which my dad wouldn't stand up for.:D Totally forgot that til I read your post.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Making dens!
    Climbing trees and walls (think I was part monkey)

Dried food that you added water to

Heinz treacle puddings exploding all over the kitchen (dad had forgot he'd put it on to boil - what a mess :D You can microwave them in about 2mins now!)

Starsky cardies

Stripy tops - I had a few garish polar necks and tank tops!

Flares with flowery embroidery on.

Being the first person in my junior class to get platforms. They weren't even that high but I thought I was the dogs :D

C&A Palomino clothes for girls

And one for kids who grew up in the North East - Geordie Jeans!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    It was a school programme? Really? I thought it might be a horror anthology series!

Not The Dick Emery Show. It had a sitcom feel to it.

Thanks, annette kurten. It's indeed The Good Life. Thanks. Edited: Rhumbatugger as well. I'm looking up Thriller now. :D

I'm losing it in my old age. 3 is Citizen Smith, surely. :D

Edit: "Don't call me surely....."
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm losing it in my old age. 3 is Citizen Smith, surely. :D

Edit: "Don't call me surely....."

:D Thank you for solving that mystery. It's indeed Citizen Smith. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA I'm so glad. Not knowing irritated me for years. Heh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i was 4 in 1970 :p
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Which programmes are those opening themes from?

1. A plain blue (?) background. Six (?) white daisy petals around a (maybe) yellow dot. A white bird flies round the yellow dot a couple of times. [Solved: The Good Life.]

2. An open glass box on a turning platform, covered with a purple velvet or silk material. [Solved: Picture Box.]

3. A long shot of someone coming out of a tube station. I think he's in a beige long coat and a black hat? I'm reasonably sure he has a shoulder bag. I associate my parents' laughter with this one, which suggests it's a comedy. [Solved: Citizen Smith]

4. A male face, in a fortune-telling glass ball, warping as he lets out a scream. Similar to the one in The X-Files. [Solved: Thriller.]

5. I'm pretty certain this is Australian. Usually Saturday mornings. A white, blue-eyed boy - approx. 10 years old - dresses like Tarzan, but can run fast like a cheetah or something like that. I think each episode revolves around a hunting team trying to capture him in the outback. I think he's a feral child? The music theme seems Aboriginal.

i think 5 was a programme called Lucan.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    And one for kids who grew up in the North East - Geordie Jeans!

What are Geordie Jeans? Anything like this?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Before my time, but I do like this Fun Size Mars ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg8CCgqFR6c

:kitty:
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Smash adverts - 'they peel them with their little knives and then they smash them all to bits hahahahahahahaah'
  • Options
    ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who was anyone had a pair of clackers.......the news said they were dangerous and broke girls wrists.....I've still actually got a pair I picked up for 50p on a car boot recently.
    Aaah French skipping........joining loads of elastic bands together.....
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mork & Mindy - Pam Dawber was one of my early crushes :blush:
    Happy Days - Heyyyyyy!
    The Six Million Dollar Man - Used to think he was real.
    Tony Hart & Morph.
    Roobarb and Custard
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Tales of the Unexpected on a Saturday night, I can still hear the music and see the opening credits, the lady dancing..........some of the stories were freakin scary.

Steptoe and Son

Till desth us do part

Porridge

Rising Damp

Feathercut hairstyles

Elvis dying

I remember in that hot summer of 76, late at night, being at a funfair in Blackpool and Elton John and Kkki Dee's "Don't go breakin my heart" blasting out.........great times!
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i was 4 in 1970 :p

I was 10. :D

Does any one remember a game called Jacks. It was mainly played by girls.
    I remember my sister was rather good at this game twosies, threesies, sixies, sevensies and split Jack . The jacks were laid out onto the ground, throw the ball in the air, then pick up as many jacks as you could with one hand before the ball touched the ground. After everyone had a turn picking up the jacks one at a time, the next was to pick them up two at a time, then three at a a time, and so on. If a player skipped a number or touched a jack that they didn’t pick up, their turn was over and had to start back at the beginning, picking them up one at a time.

Whoopee Cushion
    Rub-on Transfers - rub the transfer with an old coin or pencil
    Brooke Bond Tea Cards - Free with BB tea.
    Army Men- Plastic toy soldiers
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    i think 5 was a programme called Lucan.

That isn't the one. The boy is blond and much younger, smaller and thinner. Very similar to Tatum O'Neal when she was a child - like this one - but with slightly shorter hair and thinner body. Thanks.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hammer house of horror
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mork & Mindy - Pam Dawber was one of my early crushes :blush:
    Happy Days - Heyyyyyy!
    The Six Million Dollar Man - Used to think he was real.
    Tony Hart & Morph.
    Roobarb and Custard

i too had a mahoosive crush on pam dawber. Just googled her and she hasn't really changed even though she's 62.

she is also married to Mark Harmon who, ironically, I apparently resemble.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I remember one day at junior school in the late 70's(or might have actually been in the early 80's) the whole school going into the assembly hall to watch a public information film called Robbie about the dangers of playing on/near railway lines. And a local policeman was there too to talk additionally about this.

Aww, they showed that film at our school too, poor little Robbie, the last scene with his football boots on the back of his bedroom door made me feel sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Six Million Dollar Man[/URL] - Used to think he was real.

i used to think he was hot :D
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Frillynix wrote: »
    Tales of the Unexpected on a Saturday night, I can still hear the music and see the opening credits, the lady dancing..........some of the stories were freakin scary.

I used to love those!

I remember one with a boy riding on a turtle's back and the one with that man with his machine that could pick up plants and trees crying and growling and you could hear it through the headphones.
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cresta
    It was frothy man!
  • Options
    Forum Member

haha yes, it used to scare me..also Armchair Thriller again used to scare me, and hammer house of horror..all scared me..used to watch them then bed straight after them :on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Angel Delight! Loved that! Also loved Nesquik strawberry & chocolate powdered milk shakes, in that canister with the little man with the bowler hat.

Wife still makes me and grandkids angel delight. Strawberry and butterscotch, 'don't like the choccy one.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    i too had a mahoosive crush on pam dawber. Just googled her and she hasn't really changed even though she's 62.

she is also married to Mark Harmon who, ironically, I apparently resemble.

I've had the hugest crush on Mark Harmon since I first saw him in St Elsewhere back in 1983, swoooooooooooooooon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've had the hugest crush on Mark Harmon since I first saw him in St Elsewhere back in 1983, swoooooooooooooooon

he was hot in Flamingo Road....Fielding Carlisle ,,,swooon again :D
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrifying public information films

Such as this 1977 epic from the director The Long Good Friday.