Options

Freecorder version 2.3

Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone happen to know a link where I can download an 100% safe version of Freecorder 2.3 the free audio capture software?. I have had it on my main desktop PC for years without a single problem but now I need it on my mobile laptop PC and every website I try (there are loads of them) they all look like they include additional nuisance stuff which is probably spyware or worse.

I have tried downloading it in the past on the laptop and had problems with spyware, every time I tried before it was always later versions than 2.3, so I reckon my best chance is to try downloading the 2.3 again because like I say I've had zero issues with it on the desktop.

If I hadn't ran Freecorder 2.3 for years and if it hadn't helped me out so many times working so well I wouldn't want to touch it with a barge pole judging from the websites I'm looking through this morning but I know it works well if you get the right download.

Any help would be truly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok folks sorry to waste your time but I've just found a safe version which I didn't expect to do so quickly, having a job with the sound configuration on my laptop but at least I'm making progress.
  • Options
    clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    It's ok folks sorry to waste your time but I've just found a safe version which I didn't expect to do so quickly, having a job with the sound configuration on my laptop but at least I'm making progress.

Definitely not a waste of time if you can impart to others where you found a safe version....please :)
  • Options
    BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still using version 2.22 but would be interested to learn of a safe source for version 2.3.
  • Options
    clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still using version 2.22 but would be interested to learn of a safe source for version 2.3.

Ok, i'll certainly settle for a safe source for version 2.22 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    Definitely not a waste of time if you can impart to others where you found a safe version....please :)

Yes of course no problem, ...

FREECORDER [version 2.3]

1. Click on this link ---> http://applian.com/downloads
    [this is the company that make it and not one of the many dodgy websites with all the bugs where you can get it]

2. Go to the very bottom of the website page and click on the little + sign in the blue circle where it says “Download Discontinued Products”

3. In the list of products look for “Freecorder 2”.

4. It will say "Freecorder 2 has been replaced by the Freecorder Toolbar click [highlight]here[/highlight] if you would like to download the old Freecorder 2" [I've done the bit you need to click in red but on the webpage it will be blue, ... CLICK ON IT.

5. It will then download onto your computer and you will need to install it in the normal manner, once it's installed you will probably want to choose your own destination folder for your saved audio files in future. To do this open Freecorder and click on the 'Settings' tab [it's on the frontage of Freecorder] and click on the button to the right of where it says "Folder for Recorded Files" and choose a folder.

I have used this version on my desktop for years and it has served me brilliantly, when I tried in the past to get it on my laptop it was always a later version and boy did it give me trouble so I've never bothered with any of it on my laptop.

But just recently my desktop is playing up because it's now too old and I can't buy a new one because I'm waiting for the official release of Windows 10 so I've been forced onto my laptop to do the stuff | need because the desktop is so slow and freezes up. Because of this I've tried hard again to download Freecorder but again all I could find was the newer versions or the old 2.3 available on dodgy websites and I just wasn't interested.

But last week I fell on where to get the 2.3 safely {from the makers Applian] so it's now on the laptop [and it seems very safe] I know the one on my desktop which I've had years is completely safe and I got it from the same place.

PS..
    It is completely free of course.
  • Options
    BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did that but it is the version I already have, 2.22 not 2.3.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    You do know that Audacity can capture/record anything you're hearing from the speakers. The only thing is, the Windows7 default audio options are not set up so that you would see this option, at first. But it's easy to fix:
    Right-click on the little speaker icon (bottom right, near the clock). Choose "Recording devices", and when the "Sound" window appears, right-click within it, and check "Show disabled devices". Now, you should see "Stereo Mix" listed. Right-click that, and set "enable". Perhaps a bit more tweaking required, I can't remember.
    But now, when you start Audacity, you should be able to choose "stereo mix" as an input source.

So, if you can't get the version of this other program that you want, this is an alternative option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did that but it is the version I already have, 2.22 not 2.3.

Apologies for that I have just downloaded the file again to have another look and it does say version 222, that's what I must have put on my laptop last week thinking it was 2.3 and never noticed.

Are you having issues with your 2.2 just out of interest because the 2.3 to me just looks about the same as the 2.2. It looks like the 2.3 version is not available on the Applian website any more. :(

Anyway sorry for any inconvenience.