Options

Dave Christian - Radio Luxembourg

earlbearlb Posts: 227
Forum Member
I report the sad news that my dear friend Dave Christian passed away Friday night the 9th July. R.I.P my old mate xx

Comments

• Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Dave :(

I remember him well on Luxy in the 70s before leaving to join Radio Victory (ILR Portsmouth).

My sympathies to his family and friends.
  • Options
    drmerdrmer Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news, a true legend.

RIP Dave

Paul
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news, I echo what everyone has said...
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Sad news.

I've just listened to an interview Enda Caldwell did with Dave, with some 60's and 70's recordings, on the Radio Luxembourg audio on demand page.

http://www.radioluxembourg.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=166
  • Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked with Dave Christian for 13 years or more and liked him personally and professionally. I know he hadn't been well recently but it's still a real shock. One of the stations I am associated with interviewed him just last month.
    Very sad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked :(
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news, I echo what everyone has said...

Me too many nights were spent listening to the signals fading in and out RIP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with Dave Christian for 13 years or more and liked him personally and professionally. I know he hadn't been well recently but it's still a real shock. One of the stations I am associated with interviewed him just last month.
    Very sad.

And you are still obviously involved with some decent(if few)stations...bet the interview was interesting...
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodney can be heard on islesfm & offshoremusicradio
  • Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you are still obviously involved with some decent(if few)stations...bet the interview was interesting...

Yes, thanks to you and to the post above as well. I currently work with those two stations and with Replay Radio as well, and the programme goes out on FM stations world wide as well.
    Sadly I didnt do the interview with Dave Christian and it's some years since he and I last spoke - I guess it was probably the end of the 1990s. In the 13 years I worked for RTL, it was only Dave and Bob Stewart who were able to attract big audiences on our late-night show that ran from 0100. They both got good figures in the UK but European audiences were huge on the various other frequencies RTL operated at the time. Dave's voice was distinctive and clear for people who didnt have English as their first language. He also loved (most of) the music he played!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I worked for many years in the Hertford Street Studios of Luxy, so I saw Dave come and sadly I've now seen him go. We've remained great friends over the years and I'll miss his text messages with unmentionable jokes. He is survived by his Daughter Karen, Dave having lost his wife annie (Little mouse) a couple of years ago - At least they're together again. R.I.P my old mate and give my love to Annie. XXX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The airwaves have lost one of the greatest and most distinctive voices ever with the passing of my much loved friend and colleague, Dave Christain. I will miss our long chats and continuous fun with comedy. All my love at this time goes to Karen and Dave's family. As Sandy Denny said," I know where he'll be - in heaven teaching the angels how to sing "Georgia on my mind".
    Another chunk of me has gone with Dave.
    Never to be forgotten.

Richards..
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    How very, very sad.

I remember Dave on 208 very well.

R.I.P. Dave, another of the good guys gone and thanks for the many hours of happy listening.

Edit - I actually feel like crying over this news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a voice Dave had!

I used to love listening to him presenting the Victory Roll.

I always thought he should have taken over the R1 chart when Tom Browne left...

RIP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave Christian's funeral is on Wednesday July 14th at 15h00 at the big cemetry in Limpertsberg Notre Dame (Park on the Glacis - its on the corner of avenue de la Faincerie) Luxembourg
    There will also be a church service
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to him many times but met him once in the 70's when he was doing the 208 Luxy gigs.

As others have said a distinctive voice from a time when radio had originality.

My old friend Geoff Lester was a plugger for Polydor and Arista
    and recalls many happy times with Dave and Annie when he did
    drive on Victory.
  • Options
    theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Shocked at this terrible news.
    We spoke only a few weeks ago
    R.I.P. Dave

How very, very sad.

I remember Dave on 208 very well.

R.I.P. Dave, another of the good guys gone and thanks for the many hours of happy listening.

Edit - I actually feel like crying over this news.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dave's funeral is due to start soon, as posted by earlb.

I'd just like to say that I'm thinking of Dave and the good times, at this moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys
    Just to let you know, working on a special Revival show as a Tribute to my friend & Luxy Legend Dave Christian.
    Looks like the Bank holiday weekend in August.
    www.radiosix.com
    Watch this space,

Kenny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I had the pleasure and privilege of working with Dave during the mid-80s. The world is a poorer place without this true gentleman and most generous host. I'm devastated by this very sad news.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know who he is, I have tried Wikipedia and Google and found out about a hockey player, cannot be the same guy?

Can somebody help?

thanks.
  • Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who he is, I have tried Wikipedia and Google and found out about a hockey player, cannot be the same guy?

Can somebody help?

thanks.

Are you taking the p**s????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David's given name is David Crockford. Apart from Luxy he also worked on an ILR station down south, Radio Victory I believe.
    http://www.radioluxembourg.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A Special Tribute to Dave Christian will be on Radio Six International this weekend with Kenny Tosh on The Revival Show
    www.radiosix.com
    check the website for times

earlb wrote: »
    David's given name is David Crockford. Apart from Luxy he also worked on an ILR station down south, Radio Victory I believe.
    http://www.radioluxembourg.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I came across this sad news today after talking with some friends about my youth and googled Dave Symonds and Dave Christian, who I met on a regular basis at the Staunton Arms in Rowlands Castle. I also spent an afternoon with Dave when he was doing his Sunday show at Reading after leaving Victory Radio.

He was great fun to be around and with, my sympathy goes to his family, I am sorry it is so belated.

Ken Jackson