Options

LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    Had my Galaxy S3 stolen two weeks ago and it seems unlikely my insurance are gonna cover it so I tried to buy this today in Carphone Warehouse but I was told they only got the stock in today, but they put it on sale tomorrow.

Really rather excited to be getting one.

Why wouldn't insurance cover it? I can't see any point having insurance if it doesn't cover a stolen phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Why wouldn't insurance cover it? I can't see any point having insurance if it doesn't cover a stolen phone.

There's just been cock up after cock up on T-Mobile's end. I did everything I could to speed up the process, but they didn't actually block my phone when they said they had meaning by the time it was blocked, it was out of the number of days set out in my insurance policy. Spoke to my insurers and they were understanding, but I've now been waiting for 2 weeks for T-Mobile to send my proof of phone blacklisting. First I was told it would take 1-3 hours, then 5-7 days, then a couple of minutes. Basically, it's been 2 weeks and the damn thing still hasn't been given to me. So I went into EE today, and a member of staff there told me that I had been given all the wrong information and that proof of blacklisting has to be faxed to store and then you can get it from them.

I asked if there was anyway she could speed this up, seeing as she works for them, only to be told they have to face the hour long call queues just the same as I do.

The whole thing has stressed me out to the max and I'm over it all. I need a phone in the meantime and the Nexus 4 is a top-spec phone at a much better price. If by some miracle I get the proof I need from T-Mobile and my insurers do approve my claim, I'll probably just sell the new S3 and use the money I get to go towards buying myself out of my T-Mobile contract and then get myself a simpler 1-month rolling contract on 3. I have my other contract with 3 and their customer service, in my experience at least, has been leagues ahead of EE/T-Mobile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit disappointed - what is more annoying is that they didn't send the 'hey its for sale now' email until after it had sold out.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Bit disappointed - what is more annoying is that they didn't send the 'hey its for sale now' email until after it had sold out.

yeah i got the email after too. absolute joke to be honnest. how many units were sold?

i have a feeling its some marketing bull shit. Google have said nothing... there's no "sold out- more on the way" or apologies. what's also fishy is it sold out in a similar time in every country:cool:
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    yeah i got the email after too. absolute joke to be honnest. how many units were sold?

i have a feeling its some marketing bull shit. Google have said nothing... there's no "sold out- more on the way" or apologies. what's also fishy is it sold out in a similar time in every country:cool:

Create hype and then people might be more anxious to buy rather than wait...
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw on a German website this morning that Google apparently said in a statement that they can't comment on when the Nexus devices will be available again. Doesn't sound it will be anytime soon :(
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to consider is that Google are either making no money from the N4 or are subsidising it. They may not be in to much of a hurry to get further stocks out.

As for it being "an absolute joke" and Google saying nothing, well for £239 you cannot expect to be loved. The N4 is a developers phone and we all want it. If you want to be loved go to an Apple store but be prepared to pay for the privalage of some twerp in a t-shirt greeting you at the door.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    One thing to consider is that Google are either making no money from the N4 or are subsidising it. They may not be in to much of a hurry to get further stocks out.

As for it being "an absolute joke" and Google saying nothing, well for £239 you cannot expect to be loved. The N4 is a developers phone and we all want it. If you want to be loved go to an Apple store but be prepared to pay for the privalage of some twerp in a t-shirt greeting you at the door.

I dont believe that tosh.

You dont create this marketing hype for a "developer phone".

Also why bother creating a phone if you aren't going to sell it? The nexus phones are about growing the Android customer base with decent products to go to your mates and create more hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! I know the Nexus phones used to be for developers, but I don't think this is the case anymore for the Nexus 4.
    I don't expect to be loved, but it was a bit of a shambles yesterday and it took them nearly a day to change the status to "sold out". I personally think it was a poor performance. Ok, I was unlucky, I didn't get one and I have to live with that and I think I might just survive.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

Google are selling the phone for a profit. All be it a very small profit.

As some one said earlier, it was obvious that this phone (and N10) were going to be 'sold out' at some stage. I think I lot of people were caught out by how quickly they were sold out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare say the factory that makes these phones will be pretty much on round the clock manufacturing...and some. Great news for Google that a phone like this is som popular in the OS wars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see 02 are profiting from this shambles.... £399 !!!

google play must have had about 10 units.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG-NEXUS_4?intcmp=HP_nexus

A white Nexus 4 colour option has been added on to the Carphone Warehouse page. When you click on it, it doesn't show a render of the white device, but maybe it's a hint that a white version is coming soon. Carphone Warehouse were the ones who listed this phone on their site way too early, so it could be going on sale soon....
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    This person is having a laugh right?? If it sells for that much i'll eat my hat.

yeah he's chancing it!

But they're swapping hands for up to £600 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-4-E960-16GB-Unlocked-Jelly-Bean-4-2-IN-HAND-NOW-/121019964218?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item1c2d5a1b3a
    (shows up as sold if you search for completed listings)

Mostly around the £350 mark, but a nice little earner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yeah he's chancing it!

But they're swapping hands for up to £600 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-4-E960-16GB-Unlocked-Jelly-Bean-4-2-IN-HAND-NOW-/121019964218?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item1c2d5a1b3a
    (shows up as sold if you search for completed listings)

Mostly around the £350 mark, but a nice little earner.

:eek: People are stupid to go for anything more than the retail price of this phone...

If you are paying those prices you can get the SIII which is a better phone.

The Nexus 4 is good because of its price, any higher and its flaws knock you over to Samsung, HTC and even Apple and Nokia devices.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG-NEXUS_4?intcmp=HP_nexus

A white Nexus 4 colour option has been added on to the Carphone Warehouse page. When you click on it, it doesn't show a render of the white device, but maybe it's a hint that a white version is coming soon. Carphone Warehouse were the ones who listed this phone on their site way too early, so it could be going on sale soon....

Thanks for this Zack :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Some reviews say the handset overheats easily while charging.
    Just worried about that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D My GNEX just updated to 4.2, I am definately waiting until after Xmas for that upgrade now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many personal experiences in this thread of the N4, I take it we were all mostly out of luck in getting one. Cmon folks...someone must have something to share with the class ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be the only problem!

But battery is hmmmmmm a bit rubbish. about on par with stock GNex

Call quality of fine, but vibrates through the back of the phone for some reason. as t you can feel it on you finger.
    speaker phone is rubbish.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34129111&postcount=24
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get my order in on the Google Play store, just. Just waiting for delivery now.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont believe that tosh.

You dont create this marketing hype for a "developer phone".

Also why bother creating a phone if you aren't going to sell it? The nexus phones are about growing the Android customer base with decent products to go to your mates and create more hype.

Child, you have much to leanr about Nexus.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Child, you have much to leanr about Nexus.

Google are pushing this as the best Android experience, its definitely not a developer phone.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    The Nexus phone range has always been seen as technology demonstrators rather than out and out boundary pushers.

They have unlocked boot loaders to make it easy for developers to come up with modifications, amendments, changes and in some cases improvements. It is very much a developers phone. All Cyanogen Mod, Kang etc custom roms are based purely on the original Android source code.