Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Werent they originally going to have Whistler return from the Becoming two parter? and then when he didnt want to reprise the role they created Doyle instead or something...
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just heard he was only going to do 12 or so episodes,there were also rumours of bringing him back later on but sadly he passed away before it happened.
    Not sure about being hard to work with,never heard that before
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    There were rumours that his addiction made it a difficult working environment for his fellow cast members and the crew of Angel. Sadly he went on to die of a drug overdose.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Werent they originally going to have Whistler return from the Becoming two parter? and then when he didnt want to reprise the role they created Doyle instead or something...

I read something along those lines, I think I read the actor just couldn't find the time to do nine episodes. I'm kind of glad that he couldn't as I liked Doyle.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame the whistler never did come back at some point. The Becoming 2 parter really left a huge question mark over the character
    Forum Member
    BTW, did we ever find out why Angel came back in S3 of Buffy? I probably missed the on-screen explanation for some reason, I know the First Evil claimed to have done it but I assumed that was just the First being manipulative and, y'know, evil.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    BTW, did we ever find out why Angel came back in S3 of Buffy? I probably missed the on-screen explanation for some reason, I know the First Evil claimed to have done it but I assumed that was just the First being manipulative and, y'know, evil.

The First brought Angel back to kill Buffy. That was the explanation they gave but it doesn't make a great deal of sense.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Tonight I rewatched 'Innocence', 'Phases' and 'Bothered, Bewitched and Bewildered', three fantastic episodes! 'B,B & B' is so funny, and I'd forgotten what a faultless episode 'Innocence' is, one of the most dramatic and brilliant in the first three series.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    The official story is that he was always intended to be a short-term character to show that Angel was more of a grown-up show than Buffy, but there were also a lot of rumours that Glenn Quinn was difficult to work with.

He was also a drug and alcohol addict. I reckon he was forced out. He was always giving a leading bill (I forgot the name for it :rolleyes: - it's early!) so it would seem odd if he was just temporary. Usually in cases like this, it's done like: "Guest Starring...". It's a shame though - I thought he was really fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of Wesley at all, the character really annoys me.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was because test audiences in the US couldn't understand his accent?
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    He was also a drug and alcohol addict. I reckon he was forced out. He was always giving a leading bill (I forgot the name for it :rolleyes: - it's early!) so it would seem odd if he was just temporary. Usually in cases like this, it's done like: "Guest Starring...". It's a shame though - I thought he was really fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of Wesley at all, the character really annoys me.

The bit about being in the opening credits doesn't mean much since Joss Whedon had always wanted to put a character into the credits and then kill them off quickly. He wanted to do so with Jesse in the first episode but they didn't have the budget and he also did it with Amber Benson.
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    The First brought Angel back to kill Buffy. That was the explanation they gave but it doesn't make a great deal of sense.

I remember that in Amends but I think Buffy made a point of suggesting that his return could be for something else and the First was just claiming credit to get him to kill himself.

Loved that episode. It was also one of the first episodes where I actually liked Xander.

The reason I asked was I always wondered, if Whistler returned, if there would be a line about how being a champion for the PTB was the reason he came back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I thought it was because test audiences in the US couldn't understand his accent?

Surely in a series like this, they'd be shooting pretty far in advance? He was killed off in episode 9, and then he is mentioned a lot in the episodes after. Although it is possible, it did seem like they'd forgotten about him just days after his death except for the odd mention.
    Forum Member

It wouldn't have been much of a shock if he had only been a guest star. That was the point - to show that regular cast members wouldn't be as safe in this show as they were on Buffy.

Of course, he was the only one to die before season 5, so it was a bit pointless in the end.
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    I remember that in Amends but I think Buffy made a point of suggesting that his return could be for something else and the First was just claiming credit to get him to kill himself.

Been a long time since I saw it but, if I remember correctly, The First had a random change of mind towards the end and decided it would settle for Angel killing himself. That's why it never made any sense to me, it just came across as they wanted Angel back and couldn't think of a good way to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought there was a plot hole regarding Angel's return for season three. Hmm. Oh well

I just watched season 3 over a two day period which i have never done before with Buffy. I normally watch it over a long period and I would say i enjoyed it more in a marathon style.

I know i am a bit late but I will compile my favourite episodes of the first three seasons since re-watching the show. I previously watched season 1 and 2 early in the year

Season 1
    Witch
    Never Kill A Boy On The First Date
    The Puppet show
    Out of sight, out of mind

Season 2
    When She Was Bad
    Reptile Boy
    School Hard
    Inca Mummy Girl
    Halloween
    Ted
    Suprise
    Innocence
    Killed By Death
    Becoming Part 1 and 2

Season 3
    Anne
    Faith Hope and Trick
    Gingerbread
    Helpless
    Bad Girls
    Consequences
    Earshot
    Graduation Part 1 and 2

Buffy was excellent in it's two parters and it's finales. They never felt boring or anti-climatic.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except for Restless didn't seem like a finale episode... the only anticlimax episode. The previous episode was more a finale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Except for Restless didn't seem like a finale episode... the only anticlimax episode. The previous episode was more a finale.

I agree, but Restless does make hints for season 5 though. There is a scene where Tara pretty much hints towards Dawn's arrival.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Season 2
    When She Was Bad
    Reptile Boy
    School Hard
    Inca Mummy Girl
    Halloween
    Ted
    Suprise
    Innocence
    Killed By Death
    Becoming Part 1 and 2

How could you have left out 'Passion'! :eek::eek: I don't think BtVS gets better than that.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »

Whedon says in the audio commentary it was the first season finale of the show where he knew they were definitely getting another season when he wrote it, therefore it was different to the others as it wasn't potentially the final episode of the series, and the others were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member

The actor was good friends with David and Christian. I don't know if they would have let him be 'forced out'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could you have left out 'Passion'! :eek::eek: I don't think BtVS gets better than that.

I do like Passion but it's not an episode i would happily watch over and over again. The ones i chose are the ones I have seen so many times and loved over the years and would happily watch if i cherry picked them.
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    The actor was good friends with David and Christian. I don't know if they would have let him be 'forced out'.

Ultimately it wasn't their decision though ; David Greenwalt the showrunner of the 1st 3 seasons as indicated there was a lot of unwanted drama on set due to Glenn Quinn;s personal problems. I think cast and crew never really spoke publicly about the extent of the problems out of respect to Glenn who was ill with an addiction. Following the actor's death the resolve to keep a respectful silence was stronger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or if it was drug and alcohol related, then perhaps they allowed it because they believed it was for the best? Anyway, I guess we'll never know!

I'm now resuming S3 of Buffy! Up to the episode where Buffy's mum goes to watch her slaying and they find the dead kids *forgot name!*
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Gingerbread'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    'Gingerbread'?

That's it!