Options

Speeding ticket

2»

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in a new place looking out for a specific place so not concentrating on my speed

The argument against that (which I told myself last week whilst not noticing the speed limit had reduced until I was almost on top of a speed camera) is that when on roads you're not used to you should be extra careful, not less so.
    What gives you that idea ;)

I was never hardcore enough to be a member of Bangles N Mash, lol D:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson to you and watch your speed next time.

That's just the reply they wanted I expect.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. Some insurers require you to inform them of a speed awareness course in much the same way as they do points.

Do they? Which ones?
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they? Which ones?
    I know the Admiral group do, so that's Admiral, Diamond, Elephant and Bell. I'm with Bell and their policy documentation states the following:

"3. Please tell us when you renew your insurance of any motoring offences including fixed penalties, convictions, driver awareness course or disqualifications you or any driver on your policy had during the year, or any pending prosecutions."
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »
    I know the Admiral group do, so that's Admiral, Diamond, Elephant and Bell. I'm with Bell and their policy documentation states the following:

"3. Please tell us when you renew your insurance of any motoring offences including fixed penalties, convictions, driver awareness course or disqualifications you or any driver on your policy had during the year, or any pending prosecutions."

When i attended my Speed Awareness Course we were told that there was no legal requirement to inform our insurance companies of it despite what they say
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    When i attended my Speed Awareness Course we were told that there was no legal requirement to inform our insurance companies of it despite what they say

The conditions of your insurance contract trump any misleading advice given to you at the course I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The conditions of your insurance contract trump any misleading advice given to you at the course I'm afraid.

But as there is no possible way your insurance could find out anyway it doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although I understand that any information relating to SACs are not held on any database available to the insurance industry. You could simply omit and no one would be aware!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honest John, the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent, advocates dropping any insurer who asks for such info and making sure they know why you are not renewing with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Although I understand that any information relating to SACs are not held on any database available to the insurance industry. You could simply omit and no one would be aware!

Hmm. There's plenty of stuff on your proposal form which isn't easily checkable on a database, but which might be investigated in the event of a claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. There's plenty of stuff on your proposal form which isn't easily checkable on a database, but which might be investigated in the event of a claim.

They have no access to the system so they can't investigate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How would you investigate this? Its not public information and each scheme is run by individual police areas so would an insurance company do a FOIA request to all police areas (only the information to be refused anyway) for every new policy and renewal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    How would you investigate this? Its not public information and each scheme is run by individual police areas so would an insurance company do a FOIA request to all police areas (only the information to be refused anyway) for every new policy and renewal?

I wasn't talking about it being checked at the renewal stage, but as part of their investigations if you made a claim. In the same way that your job title, annual mileage, modifications to your car etc aren't public information but may be checked.

If there's a specific policy not to release the information to insurers then fair enough, but otherwise "we will gladly process your claim once you authorise the police to share this information with us" would be one way of checking, surely?
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    If there's a specific policy not to release the information to insurers then fair enough ...

There is a general policy not to release information to the public and I have no reason to think that insurers would not fall into this category.

Extract from the letter offering a National Speed Awareness Course :

National Database - Data Protection Act 1998

"In deciding to offer you this course we have checked your details against a national database to establish if you have completed a similar course within the last 3 years of this offence.

<<snipped>>

If you complete the course, your details relating to this course will remain on the system for road safety research purposes for a further 6 years from the date of the offence, after which any personal reference to you will be erased. Your details will not be released to any other parties except a Police Force if they are considering making an offer of a course in the future. Other statutory exemptions to the Data Protection Act 1998 may apply. YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS WILL NOT AT ANY TIME BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC
    ."

The emboldenment is mine, the capitalisation is as per the original document.

You won't be surprised to learn that I have recently been offered such a course ... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't talking about it being checked at the renewal stage, but as part of their investigations if you made a claim. In the same way that your job title, annual mileage, modifications to your car etc aren't public information but may be checked.

If there's a specific policy not to release the information to insurers then fair enough, but otherwise "we will gladly process your claim once you authorise the police to share this information with us" would be one way of checking, surely?

But what information would they want, how would they know that there was any information. To quote Donald Rumsfeld, they don't know what that don't know! So you make a claim and they then out of the blue ask you to prove by way of confirmation from every police area in the country that you have not been on a SAC? I don't really understand what you are suggested example of how they can get this info!!
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep same happened to me caught on camera on a Sunday morning on a fine clear day in a not built up area doing 39 mph. I got offered a speed awareness course at £95 which means no points on licence as it was my first offence and as the fine and points is £100 I decided to take that. Its big business now like enforcement officers eagarly issuing parking tickets, most people speed at some time or another and at nearly £100 a pop its a nice little earner! I would think that they would check your reg against the database though and if you were not insured or taxed then you would be for it:)