Options

Wifi connection keeps failing (only to laptop)

This problem has been going for months, intermittently, with no obvious pattern.

Our house has an ADSL connection to Virginmedia (usually a very good speed), via a Netgear DGN1000SP router (SP apparently denotes that it is specific to the ISP, so Netgear support does not cover). The router is left connected permanently. It is set to the Virginmedia default settings - auto IP, auto DNS. Router is on high shelf, over a metre from any other electrical device or wiring.

Desktop PC is wired to router, and rarely has any connection problem. An iPad also connects, using the wifi signal, and also has little problem. Visitors' devices have not had it, either.

With my laptop, it is a rare event to have it go for a week without connection failure, more often it is multiple times on successive days. Circumstances are very varied, including:
- on startup, no wireless connection. This is usually cured by restarting router, one or more times.
- finds wireless signal, but no internet connection. Again cured by restarting router, often two or more times.
- sometimes produces 'DNS error' message.
- works fine for a while, then stops opening certain pages, eg, won't refresh Gmail or Outlook, won't open Scrabble in Facebook. This gets progressively worse, cured by restarting router and/or browser.
- starts to open page but just sticks on 'connecting'.

It happens with different browsers; at first I thought it was a conflict between Chrome and the Wallet extension from Bitdefender; changed browser, first to IE, then Firefox; disabled Wallet; it still happens.

I've followed various suggestions on support forums - cleared temporary internet files, etc; even had Windows reinstalled.

A couple of times, when it has been having the problem, I have connected by ethernet cable to the router and it has worked okay, so it seems to be particularly the wireless setup; but why only for this laptop, and no other device? (Rarely, the PC also loses its internet connection until router is restarted, but never has the other issues.)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two separate sides to your router.

If the desktop PC loses internet connection then that is a problem with the connection - (most commonly an auto disconnect setting on the router). This can be solved by setting the connection to 'Always On/Nailed Up' or in the DGN1000's case set the Idle Timeout to 0 in Basic Settings.

If the internet connection is lost the wireless indicator on the laptop will show bars but hovering over the wireless indicator will show the Network name (SSID) and 'Local Only - No Internet Access'

If the wireless indicator shows the empty bars with the * or a red x on the network icon when the desktop is still connected then it's a problem with the wireless.

That established, have you tried restarting the laptop's wireless rather than rebooting the router? This often can be achieved by a hotkey [FN] & [F12] on my laptop for example. The icon will be on one of the F keys and looks like a beacon or aerial.

That established, try deleting the wireless profile and re-entering it, ensuring that 'Automatically connect to this network is selected'.

The next thing is to try the connection without encryption and see if the connection is maintained over an open WiFi connection. (Requires profile deletion and re-adding)

If it is OK over the open (unencrypted) connection then try looking for firmware for the router - Virgin will have it if they have put custom firmware on it, insist on the latest version.

The next thing is to look at driver updates for your laptop's wifi adapter.

Also, try changing the SSID and going for specific WiFi encryption types and connection modes (eg. try WPA2 instead of WPA/WPA2, try AES over TKIP/AES, try N only over B/G/N)

Analysis of the surrounding networks with inSSIDer can also be helpful.

There's plenty to go at. If you can list the WiFi adapter make and model I could help you find drivers.

I used to have a similar problem with my old laptop and HH4, in the end i fitted a new mini-PCI WiFi card which solved it. The new laptop is 5GHz N, which is great.

Bit of an afterthought but do you ever see Network IP Address conflict messages? I'm sure you'd have mentioned it, but although the router is set to use DHCP, if one of the connected devices has a Static IP setting that could cause a problem too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Thanks for comprehensive reply! Some of it is new to me, eg, disabling encryption, inSSIDer. Right now it's all fine; when it goes wrong I'll work through what you've given, and keep a more detailed log.
    The Idle Timeout is set to zero. I have a dedicated wireless key with indicator light.
    I'll see what the morning brings!
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wireless conflict seems the most likely answer.

You can run InSSIDer anytime, so I would get it downloaded and installed when everything is working OK and see how many networks are on the same channel as you.

You can also make sure the drivers for your wireless network card are up to date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, I left laptop on 'Sleep' this afternoon; when I came back to it I browsed Google News with no problem. Then I tried and failed to refresh Gmail; wifi icon showing five bars; I ran Diagnostic, including specifying Gmail page and it gave 'No issue detected'.
    I then restarted computer and the connection was broken (showing star); used hot key to disable/enable wireless - it showed red cross then back to star. Clicked on profile to connect; showed connecting symbol continuously and 'unable to connect'. Ran Troubleshooter and got 'unable to connect to hidden network...'. I restarted the router and connection returned; Gmail and other sites then opened promptly.

Problems seem more likely to occur after a period of switch-off or sleep mode.

I've checked an iPad which is sometimes used; it is set to DHCP, not static. Router and DNS settings both 192.168.0.1. HTTP proxy is Off; is this ok?

Just about to download InSSIDer.

Following is my Communications info:

HDA CX11270 Soft Modem

↓ Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Dhcp Server: none responded
    Physical Address: 00:1E:EC:4B:78:82
    ↑ Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.4 / 24
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1
    Physical Address: 00:1F:3C:2A:0B:C5
    Connection Speed: 54 Mbps
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you ever have a problem connecting to the Internet through the iPad? I assume it uses wifi and not 3G.

I have seen problems with power management and wifi adaptors in laptops. Within the network adaptor settings in Device Manager you might find an option called 'Power saving mode' or similar; try turning that off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies.

The iPad never has the issue on its own, whereas the laptop does.

The router security setting is Mixed WPA/WPA2; any advantage to changing to WPA2 only?

I have installed InSSIDer, link score is 83; there is no obvious competition but I have changed the router channel setting from 'Auto' to 11.

Checked Network Adapter settings; it's not on a power-saving mode. The driver is dated 2009 but I ran the updater and Microsoft says 'up to date'.

Re the router itself; I've seen poor reviews of the DGN1000. Any opinions on whether it could be the cause of problems? How much would a dependable model cost (money is tight)?

All is loading promptly this morning; just have to wait and see if the channel-change has helped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I'd no sooner posted the above than it broke again. Troubleshooter again said 'hidden network' but there is no conflict to see. I disabled the profile anyway, then enabled, but it came up with the same message.

Restarting the router has made the connection again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BeesKneez wrote: »
    Well, I'd no sooner posted the above than it broke again. Troubleshooter again said 'hidden network' but there is no conflict to see. I disabled the profile anyway, then enabled, but it came up with the same message.

Restarting the router has made the connection again.

What 'profile'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The wireless network connection. I didn't make any changes, just removed/added it.

I have now looked a little into network adapters, and see I can buy a reasonably well-reviewed one for £7. Some reviews mention curing issues which sound a bit like mine so it might be a cheap and easy next step.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wireless network connection. I didn't make any changes, just removed/added it.

I have now looked a little into network adapters, and see I can buy a reasonably well-reviewed one for £7. Some reviews mention curing issues which sound a bit like mine so it might be a cheap and easy next step.

A friend had a Toshiba laptop with similar problems. In the end a £10 USB wireless adaptor was the solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw the USB suggestion but, as I'm reluctant to have a bit sticking out, I searched to find out about upgrades to my Intel adapter. Found warnings about legality and BIOS blocking, and that led me to Intel's own support site, which I hadn't previously thought of. From that, I found that they have a driver update, despite Windows showing otherwise, so I have now successfully got that.

Fingers crossed once more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ongoing failures, so I have ordered a new Intel mini PCI card, £10.60 delivered.

Am I right in thinking that I should be able, after installing the card, to use my ethernet cable connection to go to Intel's site and check for necessary software?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies.

The iPad never has the issue on its own, whereas the laptop does.

The router security setting is Mixed WPA/WPA2; any advantage to changing to WPA2 only?

I have installed InSSIDer, link score is 83; there is no obvious competition but I have changed the router channel setting from 'Auto' to 11.

Checked Network Adapter settings; it's not on a power-saving mode. The driver is dated 2009 but I ran the updater and Microsoft says 'up to date'.

Re the router itself; I've seen poor reviews of the DGN1000. Any opinions on whether it could be the cause of problems? How much would a dependable model cost (money is tight)?

All is loading promptly this morning; just have to wait and see if the channel-change has helped.

If that is a newer feature in InSSIDer (I use v2.1 - old school) then it's context is not what I think, but if it is the RSSI (in dBm) then -83dBm is an extremely weak signal.

The DGN1000 isn't without it's flaws, but a firmware upgrade may help.

Here's the Virgin firmware link with instructions;

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/How-do-I-Netgear-DGN1000-Firmware-Update/td-p/1767646

or, you can use the stock Netgear firmware (regions worldwide except US/Germany);

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN1000/DGN1000-V1.1.00.49WW.zip

instructions are the same (obviously the image filename is different). The stock firmware will change your default password to 'password' rather than 'virgin'.

You could well be on the right route with a different mini PCI card though, although router repositioning and f/w might give more signal. Yes, you will be able to download drivers via Ethernet for it. Use the Intel site (good luck, sometimes I find the site not too well laid out) rather than WU, as often the drivers are not the latest.

I see you are planning to do that anyway, good choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, shhftw

I gather InSSIDer has made its interface much more user-friendly:

"Link Score - A grade for each network calculated by its signal strength, Channel Power,
    and number of networks competing for airtime."

I got the firmware update - had to use the NetGear link as V's just took me to their sales blurb.

Things I haven't tried that you mentioned earlier - changing SSID, disabling encryption; what would be the security issues with the latter, especially if it took several days to decide that the connection is solid? Since I now have the firmware update, would there still be any point in trying it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ps Signal is -38dbm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ps Signal is -38dbm

Yeah that's much better!

By all means try the other things. It can't hurt while you get the new mini PCI card.

Open encryption means your internet is open to (mis)use by others in range. If the neighbours are clueless, they won't even realise.

If you have passwords on the user accounts of any machines sharing to the network then just use password enabled sharing. Or if they just use the net, put the network type to Public on them.

That fw is pretty good. I think the known bugs are for entering MAC addresses you have to enter the first part as 00 regardless, then edit it to what it should be when it's in there. I had problems with that until I found out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see that this thread has had 1200 views, and so, a simple summary of my progress (hopefully!) to date:

It has been stable for 24 hours (so, much too soon to have any certainty, but a contrast to previous days) and if one thing was done that may have made all the difference, it was to get a firmware upgrade from NetGear, the router manufacturer, contrary to the Windows Updater showing that none was required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, got confused with Intel driver update and NetGear firmware update, but it is the router firmware that may have done the job.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know you may have sorted the problem but I had simjilar problems and setting devices to static ips instead of DHCP solved most of them.

I have an old router and for some reason the DCHP fails regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I know you may have sorted the problem but I had simjilar problems and setting devices to static ips instead of DHCP solved most of them.

I have an old router and for some reason the DCHP fails regularly.

Thanks for that; I'll keep it in mind if I have further trouble, but it's not the default for my setup and some support suggestions say the opposite.

I had further trouble loading some pages, so perhaps the firmware was not the final answer.

By chance I came upon a thread about range extenders causing conflicts. I run one for the upstairs rooms but had not thought of its being an issue :blush: because I had understood that it was always in sync with router settings. When I checked, the encryption settings were different, so I switched everything off for five minutes, then restarted and pushed the extender's factory reset switch.

Two days on and all is good; again, it will be several days before I feel confident.

BTW, I could not find a way to look at the range extender's full setup. Instructions were to go to mywifiext.com but it seems not to exist. Even registering the device with Netgear, I did not find a link to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A brief update, for any new viewers of this thread; though perhaps not much help!

Problems continued, I never figured out a definite cause.

Over account issues, we were forced to change our phone number; Virgin took the opportunity to refuse to renew their service to us, as we had been 'national' (non-cable) customers.

Our new router is from BT; we still use the NetGear range extender (although the router signal is so much better that we barely need it); it has all worked perfectly for months.