Options

How do I get my 74-y-o mum on the internet?

Comments

• Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get an iPad, no question.

My nan in her 70s i got her an iPad 2 last Christmas she is never off it. She does all her shopping on Amazon now, to say she has taken to it is an understatement.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously your nan could do with an upgrade to a £100 Amazon HDX.
    Saves her doing the stupid workrounds for IOS apps, the Amazon app especially.

So she currently likes the web.
    :)
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is 80 and has a PC and an iPad2. She uses the PC to do a tesco order and the iPad the rest of the time. It's so much easier for her to understand a tablet. You just tap what you want. No need to know about left and right clicks or files and folders or update pop ups that you get with a normal computer. The tablet has been brilliant for her. She surfs, she reads stuff, she emails. Loves it.

The only intervention I need is to explain new things as and when she wants them such as how to insert text in the middle of a sentence or copy/paste. Just explain things as you need them so you don't overload the information they need at the time.

One other suggestion, for any tablet, is look at some sort of stand or holder for it. People of that age will often have arthritic hands and can't hold a tablet for a prologued period. She uses it in that and can stand it on her lap and use it that way. It's also great for video chatting to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of those workrounds, I think Amazon has just had to remove the purchase option from the latest Play store app too.

The existing app is fine if you still have it, but new customers will need to download the new app from the web to their Android device, not the Play store
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Obviously your nan could do with an upgrade to a £100 Amazon HDX.
    Saves her doing the stupid workrounds for IOS apps, the Amazon app especially.

So she currently likes the web.
    :)
    Talking of those workrounds, I think Amazon has just had to remove the purchase option from the latest Play store app too.

The existing app is fine if you still have it, but new customers will need to download the new app from the web to their Android device, not the Play store

At the risk of taking the thread further off topic. What exactly do you mean about the Amazon app? I'm buying stuff from Amazon regularly using the official iOS app? What workaround are you referring to? Or do you mean the Amazon App Store? The regular Amazon App on my Nexus 7 seems to work fine too. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it is the online music and book stuff that they are not allowed to do a non Apple tax transaction within in the app.
    I think Amazon had slipped in their own app store into the Play version, which quickly got pulled.

edit - there's some stuff on the curious shopping thing, though a Play pull headline was what caught my attention.
    http://tuaw.com/2014/05/02/the-curious-case-of-amazon-com-ios-apps/
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it is the online music and book stuff that they are not allowed to do a non Apple tax transaction within in the app.
    I think Amazon had slipped in their own app store into the Play version, which quickly got pulled.

edit - there's some stuff on the curious shopping thing, though a Play pull headline was what caught my attention.
    http://tuaw.com/2014/05/02/the-curious-case-of-amazon-com-ios-apps/

Ahh with you now. You mean the Kindle app etc. Not the actual main Amazon shopping app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music, ebooks film downloads etc.

Though I must admit, I was forgetting some of the pros and cons of different devices, such things seldom getting mentioned.
  • Options
    St@mmieSt@mmie Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am probably going to get shot down in flames now but I've been facing a similar quandry for my 81 year old dad who bless him has decided he should try and learn about this (in his words) internet thingy.
    What I have decided to get him is a Windows 8.1 hybrid,
    as much as I hate to praise M$ and as much as I hate Windows 8 as a desktop OS I think the Metro interface is a brilliantly intuitive touch interface for a complete novice who has no other experiences to prejudice them for or against anything else.
    That coupled with a reasonable on 8.1 desktop interface when/if he becomes more advanced (he's a very clever chap and if this piques his interest he will get more advanced) along with the fact that there's no need to worry about rooting or jailbreaking as you have full control of the system and what you can install on it has me leaning pretty heavily to the Microsoft camp for my old dad.
    I have Android devices and through work have had a POS ipad mini foistered on me and between the three OS's I am always coming back to Windows 8.1 for him
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    How do I get my 74-y-o mum on the internet?

This? http://www.simplicitycomputers.co.uk
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St@mmie wrote: »
    I think the Metro interface is a brilliantly intuitive touch interface for a complete novice who has no other experiences to prejudice them for or against anything else.

As much as I appreciate my Surface Pro 3, I couldn't agree that the UI is intuitive. Swiping in from the edges is not anything you would try without being shown.

The ipad in particular can be picked up and used by almost anyone without training.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'd say a gesture is far more complex than a side swipe, that being one of the simplest gestures.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intuitive or not I find it very easy to learn and use. Not everything has to be intuitive. mouse probably wasn't when it was introduced either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    My 76 year old Mum happily uses a pc which I have put Linux Mint on. The desktop only has three icons on it marked Internet, Email, and Off ! (My doing).

All toolbars are stripped back to the minimum and the fonts made large.

She reads the Daily Mail, plays MSN games, and reads Facebook with few problems.

I set her up a Three USB 3G modem which she payg £10 per month.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the money, I would recommend an iPad to anyone with little technical/computer knowledge. They tend to be simple to use and don't allow the user to stray.

As long as you are available to do updates etc, it should be fine.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Intuitive or not I find it very easy to learn and use. Not everything has to be intuitive. mouse probably wasn't when it was introduced either.

I think the interface is intuitive. Swipe from left to swap between tasks. Swipe from right for system menus.

The only device with a better interface was the Playbook - that had the gestures absolutely nailed. Very intuitive. With both Win 8.1 and the Playbook, it takes about 10 seconds to understand them. Not exactly a steep learning curve.

And again, I fail to see why people suggest iPads over Android tablets. They aren't any easier to use.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »

And again, I fail to see why people suggest iPads over Android tablets. They aren't any easier to use.

Yeah right, Android drives me potty trying to change settings on it turned into a right maze of options in recent years, iOS is way simpler to use and navigate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    Yeah right, Android drives me potty trying to change settings on it turned into a right maze of options in recent years, iOS is way simpler to use and navigate.

What settings do you have to change regularly? Connect to wifi. Thats it.

And don't say the settings in iOS are easy. Not often I have to, but when I do the structure is ruddy stupid. Not as bad as Windows Phones settings, but still irritatingly awkward.

So no, iOS isn't easier/simpler to navigate. Its about the same. (and yes, I do have devices here running iOS 8, Android 5, WP8.1, so I'm commenting from experience)
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So no, iOS isn't easier/simpler to navigate. Its about the same. (and yes, I do have devices here running iOS 8, Android 5, WP8.1, so I'm commenting from experience)

But are you in your 70's and never used a computer/tablet or smartphone before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But are you in your 70's and never used a computer/tablet or smartphone before?

Nope. In my 40s and I've been programming since I was about 12. Doesn't change the fact that there is rarely any need to drop into settings on any of these devices. Once they're configured, thats it. The initial setup is ridiculously simple on all of them.

My mum (late 60s, generally not a fan of technology) went straight in on an Android tablet (Archos Titanium) and all I did was install Skype. She configured the wireless, figured out how to reply to emails, take pictures, email pictures .... its easy. She did have a concern about on-screen keyboards, so we spent a little time in a store with her trying text entry on various size devices before deciding on the 10" Archos.

At the other end of the age range, when my youngest was 4, he was happily alternating between my various phones and tablets - Nokia 808, iPhone 4S, BB Playbook, Nexus 7. All with "totally different" interfaces, I didn't even have to tell him how to use them, he just picked them up with no guidance.

The choice between Android, iOS and possibly Windows 8.1 is down to personal preference; unless someone has a specific application requirement, they're all good for the basics - browsing and email. I do still maintain that Apple are making a huge error with the stock iOS keyboard. They claimed to have dropped skeuomorphic design, but the keyboard is the most "in yer face" bit of skeuomorphism in iOS that hasn't been touched - it really could do with improvement (it tends to only be the fans who claim it doesn't have any problems).
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The choice between Android, iOS and possibly Windows 8.1 is down to personal preference
    Yes, you can make a personal choice once you've looked at all three.

There are lots of videos online of people struggling to use Windows 8. I was amoung them, despite 20 years of professional IT background.

I rarely use Android, but when someone hands me their device to 'fix' I can normally find the settings quite quickly, as it has a similar design language to other OSs.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

There are lots of videos online of people struggling to use Windows 8. I was amoung them, despite 20 years of professional IT background.

I rarely use Android, but when someone hands me their device to 'fix' I can normally find the settings quite quickly, as it has a similar design language to other OSs.

Really? Just goes to show, that old habits die hard, maybe? ;-)
    I found it interesting and different, but, at no stage have I been 'struggling'. That said, I guess you were using it to a greater depth than I would.
    I think whichever OS someone uses, it is a personal choice. None of them are particularly bad and all have their plus points. The strange thing about tech is that some people defend to the death whichever one they happen to have invested in. It's just the Human condition........:D
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

There are lots of videos online of people struggling to use Windows 8. I was amoung them, despite 20 years of professional IT background. .

Or perhaps, as call100 suggest, because of 20 years. I've been using emacs for over thirty years and struggle to use other text editors, but that's about having the key sequences embedded in my lizard brain, not proof that emacs is the one true editor (although it is, of course). It took me a long time to adjust to the OSX user interface after using X11 (usually with tvtwm) for a couple of decades too; I doubt anyone's going to seriously argue that's an argument for tvtwm.

ian
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Without doubt an iPad. My Mum has had a PC for over 10 years and never really got used to it. There was always the fear that a wrong click could delete everything or download something that would hack her details. Anti virus scans, spam emails with viruses. She hated using a PC. She is a complete technophobe.

I took a punt and got her an iPad. She loves it. She books her train tickets using an app, she is sending pictures in email attachments.She plays along on TV show apps, Angry Birds and so on.

And she has peace of mind when it comes to viruses and the likes and now feels far safer with online banking than she ever did using a PC.

She still knows nothing about technology whatsoever but uses her iPad all the time.

Considering all your Mum will be doing internet-wise is the basics, browsing, shopping and emails an iPad 2 would be ideal.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedPants wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, though it seems there's no clear consensus!

I think I'm tending towards the ipad route at the moment. A bit more pricey than some of the others but everyone I've spoken to who has one recommends them.

Yeah those that haven't tried android.