Absolute 90s is replaced by Magic on D1 / Absolute Radio goes Mono

Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
Forum Member
✭✭
Nice touch - last song before midnight was 'Not Over Yet' by Grace.

Somewhat spoilt however by Arqivas tardy switch off which has only just happened 1 & 1/2 tracks later at 0004.

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New D1 Config - Bold are changes.....

Talksport 64kbps Mono
    TeamRock 80kbps Mono
    LBC 64kbps Mono
    Magic 80kbps Mono (+80)
    Absolute Radio 80kbps Mono (-32)
    Classic FM 128kbps Joint Stereo
    Planet Rock 80kbps Mono
    Capital Xtra 112kbps Joint Stereo
    BFBS Radio 80kbps Mono
    Absolute Radio 80s 80kbps Mono (+16)
    UCB UK Christian 64kbps Mono
    Kiss 80kbps Mono
    Smooth Extra 80kbps Mono
    Premier Christian 64kbps Mono

<Absolute 90s 64kbps Mono - Deleted> (-64)

So Absolute Radio has gone Mono >:(>:(
  • ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now only 2 stereo stations on Digital One then. Also, with Global wanting to launch Heart Extra and seeming taking Premier Christian Radio slot which is only 64kbps, Capital Xtra going mono in the future seems inevitable.

Absolute 80s at 80kbps is a massive improvement though.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    Now only 2 stereo stations on Digital One then. Also, with Global wanting to launch Heart Extra and seeming taking Premier Christian Radio slot which is only 64kbps, Capital Xtra going mono in the future seems inevitable.

Absolute 80s at 80kbps is a massive improvement though.

I only listened to the Absolute stations on DAB in the car but the 80's didn't sound too bad at 64kbps, glad it;s been raised but not at the expense of the main station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I only listened to the Absolute stations on DAB in the car but the 80's didn't sound too bad at 64kbps, glad it;s been raised but not at the expense of the main station.

My experience is the opposite. I hate 64kbps and don't listen to Absolute so Absolute 80s getting an increase means I'll listen to it a lot more in the car now.

If only Kisstory wasn't 64kbps but that's for another thread!
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Global may divide their specttrum so that all stations except Classic FM on Digital One are at 80 kbps when they get extra spectrum from Premier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I think Global may divide their specttrum so that all stations except Classic FM on Digital One are at 80 kbps when they get extra spectrum from Premier.

There was that poster last week claiming a gambling company was getting space on D1 in March. The fact he/she was banned after 1 day might suggest that was nonsense mind.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    The audio on Smooth Extra is suddenly particularly poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly as follows:

<Delete Premier> (-64)
    Reduce Capital Xtra to Mono 80kbps (-32)
    Start Heart Extra at Mono 80kbps (+80)
    Increase LBC to Mono 80kbps (+16)
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Kisstory at 64k on digital radio as I generally listen on a mono radio; although in the ideal world you would get Ofcom insisting all new stations to be in DAB+ which would provide perfectly good sound quality at 64k.

Will never happen though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Increase LBC to Mono 80kbps (+16)

Can't see any point in increasing the bitrate of a speech station to the detriment of a music station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see any point in increasing the bitrate of a speech station to the detriment of a music station.

It's, in theory, a disgraceful thing to do however I'm sure Global would do it just so they have the bandwidth for themselves rather than allowing a third party to get it. You never know how useful that 16kbps could be in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't know what they would do with the spare 16kbps if they didn't - there are no mono stations left at 96kbps. There will not be enough capacity left for any of the stations except Classic FM to stay Stereo.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speech doesn't sound great at 64, and would sound clearer at 80. 80 kbps should be the minimum allowed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC LBC used to be 80kbps on London 1 before the move to D1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what they would do with the spare 16kbps if they didn't - there are no mono stations left at 96kbps. There will not be enough capacity left for any of the stations except Classic FM to stay Stereo.

According to Wohnort there is just one station broadcasting at 96kbps and that's Polish Radio London on London 3. http://www.wohnort.org/dab/uknat.html#London3

Generally though there aren't any 'major' stations broadcasting at 96kbps and besides - which station should get the extra 16kbps? One thing Bauer have done tonight is harmonise their services to all run at the same bitrate and I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Global to do the same and if that means LBC goes to 80kbps because they can't really use the 16kbps for anything else then I can see some logic in that.

It's just sad that in 2015 I'm saying that a ruck of mono music radio stations is logical.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speech doesn't sound great at 64, and would sound clearer at 80. 80 kbps should be the minimum allowed.
    LBC was at 48kbps on the old MXRs, and that was fine for speech IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »

...and LBC News is 48kbps on London 2 right now.

I have always thought that LBC on Digital 1 sounds considerably worse than TalkSport, despite being at the same bitrate and sample rate. No idea why that would be though
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member

True, the Pete Price phone-in sounds really rough at 64kbps Mono on CityTalk DAB, I much preferred the clearer sound when it was 128kbps on Radio City DAB. I could switch to FM I suppose, but 105.9 does seem to use awful processing, when they take the chart show on Sundays the music sounds really flat and trebley compared to other stations that take it, makes taking it even more pointless!
  • GOGGLES109GOGGLES109 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I thought the idea was that when DAB was launched we would be given much clearer digital sound which would sound like listening to your CD's, but I never expected so many stations on D1 to be broadcast in mono. Think I might put my Pure 1500 pocket DAB receiver on e-Bay and go back to analogue.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGGLES109 wrote: »
    I thought the idea was that when DAB was launched we would be given much clearer digital sound which would sound like listening to your CD's, but I never expected so many stations on D1 to be broadcast in mono. Think I might put my Pure 1500 pocket DAB receiver on e-Bay and go back to analogue.

What DAB radio do you have? Does it support DAB+? If not, you would be better getting a DAB+ compatible one - later this year there should be better quality for you.

I do agree it does not do technology justice when you cram far too much into one block and constantly cut corners. If your radio is not DAB+ compatible, I'm sure you will be able to sell it cheap - but remember a DAB+ compatible one is relatively cheap now.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    paulx23 wrote: »

It wasn't, it had a "telephone line" quality, sounds far better now, and was even better at 80 in London
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't be able to check until tonight, but another thread is saying that a London version of Absolute has started on London 1 at 112kbps Stereo, resulting in other stations also reducing further on that Mux. Clearly 2015 has started with a race to the bottom....
  • westonewestone Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    and we still have KISS in stereo on our local MUX in Cornwall.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly 2015 has started with a race to the bottom....
    I'd call it bitrate limbo. Who can go as low as possible to attain the accolade of lowest bitrate they can get away with.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Seeing that nobody really cares about sound any more (witness the majority of people completely satisfied with the 3cm speakers in their wafer thin panel TV's and 64KBPS MP3's) I don't know why more stations don't just get on with it and use 32KBPS mono. Anyone noticing, caring and grumbling online can soon be cut down with comments such as 'we are not all audiophiles with £20,000 speaker cables', 'most of us just want some nice music and chat' or 'haven't you got anything better to do than waste time complaining'.