"Burn in" on a plasma screen

Bit late in the day for a bit of advise but I will give it a go.
I have a new 60 inch LG plasma 2 weeks old.
Have the family coming over for xmas dinner tommorow and decided to kill the TV during dinner and bought a virtual fireplace dvd to put on , just to fill the void....
Everyone is screeming Noooooo as it will burn in ....Is this a myth , or perhaps a problem with old sets?
Should I worry?
David

Comments

• rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidc1 wrote: »
    Bit late in the day for a bit of advise but I will give it a go.
    I have a new 60 inch LG plasma 2 weeks old.
    Have the family coming over for xmas dinner tommorow and decided to kill the TV during dinner and bought a virtual fireplace dvd to put on , just to fill the void....
    Everyone is screeming Noooooo as it will burn in ....Is this a myth , or perhaps a problem with old sets?
    Should I worry?
    David

Burn in is real but I wouldn't have thought a fire place would cause it. It's usually dogs and bugs that do it.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burn in is normally associated with static images on the picture, in other ways one section of the panel is constantly active showing the same thing and the image is "burnt" into it.
    The general consensus is that a modern plasma is far less susceptible to screen burn but you should still take baby steps in the early days to the let the panel bed in.

A DVD fireplace is mostly a variable image in terms of the flames so that would be fine, the only concern would be the static surround and again the settings on the TV (high contrast) could increase the odds of burn in.
  • KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your LG should have a ISM mode ? White Wash/Orbiter/Inversion, I have mine set to Orbiter, just make sure your contrast & brightness are at 50% only because your Plasma screen is new, you should not get any screen burn, maybe a little retention but nothing more especially if it is only running for an hour or 2. JMHO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheer's
    I could not work out where dog's and bug's came in.
    I have turned it down to max energy save and will only run the fireplace for 90 mins max then on to the Queens speech I expect.
    Thanks David
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks Kojac and Jarack....
    Have a good day tomorow
    David
  • KojackKojack Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers you to m8
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum's Samsung plasma has a two hour static image warning in the manual.

You should check the image shown, if the whole screen is a moving fire you should be okay but if there is a static black bit at the bottom stuck there you should be careful - burn in isn't covered by the warranty mine says.