Options

Table manners - drinking from bowls

2»

Comments

• Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    In polite society one must always tip a bowl away from oneself.

Thankfully we are slowly moving away from guff like this. :rolleyes: Bowl-drinking isn't good but the above rule is just fussiness. I'm so glad that the more nonsensical rules of etiquette are becoming obsolete. The rules that remain are the ones that make sense.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    Thankfully we are slowly moving away from guff like this. :rolleyes: Bowl-drinking isn't good but the above rule is just fussiness. I'm so glad that the more nonsensical rules of etiquette are becoming obsolete. The rules that remain are the ones that make sense.
    I assume bspace was being satirical but I do agree. The main rule is that people are relaxed and comfortable and don't feel disapproved of, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    I assume bspace was being satirical

Maybe he/she was! :o:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was taught, as a child, not to drink from the bowl, and I haven't done it since then. It wouldn't cross my mind now to drink straight from the bowl, regardless if I was in other people's company or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do in Japanese restaurants, because it is custom and you're not to eat everything on your whole plate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I've just drunk the remaining milk from my cereal bowl. Is that bad?

Wouldn't do it for soup but with milk, you'd be there ages trying to drink it spoon by spoon...
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never slurped directly from a bowl and i'm unlikely to unless i'm in a country where etiquette demands it. In this country I would find it incredibly bad manners, especially if a guest did it in my house. Sorry if that sounds snobbish but that's how I feel.

Table manners are important to me. I think it's shameful when I read stories about children starting school and being unable to use a knife and fork simply because they've never used one as they have eaten all their meals on the sofa from pizza boxes and happy meal bags. Incredibly sad IMO.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    This was on Come Dine With Me last week. Someone finished their soup by drinking from the bowl.

Would you find that acceptable or not at someone else's house (or in your home)? (Some did, some didn't). Would you do it? I wouldn't but I have no issue with it but I might be a bit surprised.

I would consider them to be poorly brought up and a chav.