X Factor UK - Season 10 Official Judges Houses Spoilers

Comments

• Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I still think they should have manufactured a Liberty X-style mixed group. We already have Little Mix, One Direction and Union J so I don't see the gap in the market for another boyband or girlband.

No I don't think it will work. There may be a gap for an female R+B girl band but it will be tough.
    EDIT: I agree with Barry Clarke in what he said.
    We are long overdue a female R+B band since the days of DC, SWV, TLC, En Vogue - all having huge success globally.
    Some groups like Cherish, Xscape, 702 to name a few had success in USA but never materialised elsewhere.
    Eternal and Misteeq have been successful in UK and had the odd hit in the USA
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    No I don't think it will work. There may be a gap for an female R+B girl band but it will be tough.
    EDIT: I agree with Barry Clarke in what he said

I don't see why it couldn't work. People said boybands were dead five years ago.

I think people have got in their heads that mixed groups do cheesy pop like Steps and S Club 7. There's no reason why they have go down that route. Imagine merging the best members of The Saturdays and The Wanted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why it couldn't work. People said boybands were dead five years ago.

I think people have got in their heads that mixed groups do cheesy pop like Steps and S Club 7. There's no reason why they have go down that route. Imagine merging the best members of The Saturdays and The Wanted.

It needs a lot more for mixed groups to work - not many mixed groups have worked well in the last 20 years. Liberty-X only had moderate success with the odd No.1 in the UK but that is basically it with them - I think one of the ex-member married Kevin Pietersen, the England cricketer. In the 70s and 80s, we had mixed groups like Shalamar, Atlantic Starr, Osmonds and others that had done well but it has been a while now.
    Good grief, Steps and S Club 7 - they are trashy, cheesy and horrendous.
    In terms of boybands, you will go phases where people will get a bit bored of boybands but you cannot erase screaming teenage girls out forever, especially when they see 4 or 5 hunky guys in one group :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs a lot more for mixed groups to work - not many mixed groups have worked well in the last 20 years. Liberty-X only had moderate success with the odd No.1 in the UK but that is basically it with them - I think one of the ex-member married Kevin Pietersen, the England cricketer. In the 70s and 80s, we had mixed groups like Shalamar, Atlantic Starr, Osmonds and others that had done well but it has been a while now.
    Good grief, Steps and S Club 7 - they are trashy, cheesy and horrendous.
    In terms of boybands, you will go phases where people will get a bit bored of boybands but you cannot erase screaming teenage girls out forever, especially when they see 4 or 5 hunky guys in one group :p

But why wouldn't a teenage girl who likes girlbands and boybands like a band that includes both varieties? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why wouldn't a teenage girl who likes girlbands and boybands like a band that includes both varieties? :D

Well they can do but seriously do you really think a mixed group will work? We have to be a bit realistic here although I would say "never say never" :)
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure they will be a vast improvement on little Mix who i cannot stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure they will be a vast improvement on little Mix who i cannot stand.
    :D:D:D
    That I agree with, jeref
  • TobyCYTobyCY Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Mixed groups can work on x factor, but the most tries fail. I can only remember 3 succesful mixed groups globaly and 3 mixed duos who were succesful. The danish alien beat club made it to the final but were beaten by the over 25 linda. Adlicious (I think the best group ever on the x factor stage worldwide) made it to the final in the netherlands but were beaten by Rochelle. And in Australia Third wish made it to the Top 4. All other mixed groups were eliminated very early. Mixed duos we had the latin duo Siam who won in Chile. The married Mrs Greenbird in Germany they won also and are like a more freakier version of Alex and Sierra from x factor 3 from the US. And same difference. So only these 6 mixed groups were succesful in all X factor seasons. I can understand why the producers don't take the risk to manufact a mixed group that often. But lets see how far Third degree will make it in Australia I can see them make it really really far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TobyCY wrote: »
    Mixed groups can work on x factor, but the most tries fail. I can only remember 3 succesful mixed groups globaly and 3 mixed duos who were succesful. The danish alien beat club made it to the final but were beaten by the over 25 linda. Adlicious (I think the best group ever on the x factor stage worldwide) made it to the final in the netherlands but were beaten by Rochelle. And in Australia Third wish made it to the Top 4. All other mixed groups were eliminated very early. Mixed duos we had the latin duo Siam who won in Chile. The married Mrs Greenbird in Germany they won also and are like a more freakier version of Alex and Sierra from x factor 3 from the US. And same difference. So only these 6 mixed groups were succesful in all X factor seasons. I can understand why the producers don't take the risk to manufact a mixed group that often. But lets see how far Third degree will make it in Australia I can see them make it really really far.

Mixed groups practically fail on XF UK - OK Same Difference came 3rd but their music career didn't last
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D
    That I agree with, jeref
    I also agree. :p

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing a girl and guy mixed group. It could work really well with the right people. Not sure why some people are so against it, it'd be different and fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also agree. :p

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing a girl and guy mixed group. It could work really well with the right people. Not sure why some people are so against it, it'd be different and fun.

It could work but when was the last successful UK mix group to have huge hits globally? You have to think back to maybe over a decade at the very least unless I have missed something,,,don't include Liberty X here as their success wasn't really major. In general, it's not happening for some reason. People can say Steps or S Club 7 but they were more targetted for teens in the 90s. I do remember way back that some mix siblings groups done well like The Carpenters, Debarge, Osmonds, Five Star etc...they were a lot of 80s mixed groups like Thompson Twins, Human League, Loose Ends etc but we don't have that anymore
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make a nice change if they do well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make a nice change if they do well.

It would be good to create one because it is long overdue
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Are Luminites signed to Syco?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »

Not sure but I think they are - we'll have to double check that to make sure :)
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Not sure but I think they are - we'll have to double check that to make sure :)

Well with them trying to launch Luminites I very much doubt they'll be looking for another mixed group...:)
  • Maxine_RochMaxine_Roch Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    There signed to Sony I don't think that necessiarly means there signed to SYCO.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could work but when was the last successful UK mix group to have huge hits globally? You have to think back to maybe over a decade at the very least unless I have missed something,,,don't include Liberty X here as their success wasn't really major. In general, it's not happening for some reason. People can say Steps or S Club 7 but they were more targetted for teens in the 90s. I do remember way back that some mix siblings groups done well like The Carpenters, Debarge, Osmonds, Five Star etc...they were a lot of 80s mixed groups like Thompson Twins, Human League, Loose Ends etc but we don't have that anymore
    I know it hasn't happened in a long while... Which is why there could be a place in the market for them? If they received a lot of hype then they could do well I think. Little Mix would never have worked out if the judges didn't shove them in everybody's faces saying how they were the next big thing and a girlband have never won before, it's about time they did etc. I wouldn't rule it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with them trying to launch Luminites I very much doubt they'll be looking for another mixed group...:)

I doubt it as well. Someone suggested this earlier in this thread. Luminites are just starting out so we will see what will happen with them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it hasn't happened in a long while... Which is why there could be a place in the market for them? If they received a lot of hype then they could do well I think. Little Mix would never have worked out if the judges didn't shove them in everybody's faces saying how they were the next big thing and a girlband have never won before, it's about time they did etc. I wouldn't rule it out.

Probably!
    I did forget one mix group who actually did OK in recent times and I think we should have all realized it....NDubz!! :D
    So YES!! there is hope!! :D
  • sstephanie40sstephanie40 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh....short memories, what about the ones that started this all....
    HEARSAY!!!!

They packed out Wembley arena for at least two nights, had a huge UK tour and were a sensation for at least a fortnight!

And they were a mixed group. Myleene has done the best, and Kym too. The others well.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when it comes to judges houses decisions 2/3, in some cases 3/3 of the finalists have already been chosen before they sing a note. VT coverage gives a strong indication who is likely to get through, you have the featured artists and the montaged ones. Look at Cher for example, it didn't matter an iota what she sang like at JH, If her performance really mattered she would have gone home (even though she was sick). She was always gona be selected.for lives.
  • sstephanie40sstephanie40 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100% with the above comment.

During the year the producers have liaised with management companies and trawled talent shows to find the acts to launch via X Factor.

The artists have already been chosen in the main, and those that don't get through just don't have the clout to put bums on seats for the tour or are thought of as being able to sell music and merchandise.

If you went to the open auditions, you have as much chance of getting through to the live shows -- as being struck by lightning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like I said - boybands went out of fashion for several years and the idea of any boyband coming along and actually doing well was laughable.
  • Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know the top 3 groups? Am guessing brick city, one of the boy bands, and either one of the 3 piece girlband or xyra..