2»

Comments

• cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Ok wwil have a try. Plus can I use slui.exe 4 to force activation window
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the existing key is being flagged as not genuine so revealing the product key won't acheive anything surely?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the existing key is being flagged as not genuine so revealing the product key won't acheive anything surely?
    oops .. must have misread 1st post .. need to acquire a currently unused valid product key then?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It doesn't mean the original key is not genuine. Windows can become 'deactivated' for lots of reasons. Cmorris mentioned the time and date on the PC was wrong, which is a classic one.

Has the OP said what version of Windows this is?
    Can you bypass the dialog asking for a key to try and reactivate online?
    Forum Member
    Windows 7 Home Premium. Ok.

Will this speccy show me the product key of windows (The customer bought the machine 3 years ago from PC World - it was a Dell laptop - and he had no activation issues since a month ago when it came up Windows is not genuine)

Should I use the speccy software o find the product key and hen force the activation window using slui.exe 4 and will this work?
    Forum Member
    I have run and found a serial number under Installation Date is that it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    I have run and found a serial number under Installation Date is that it?

Does it look like a 25 digit alphanumeric key. :rolleyes:
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It doesn't mean the original key is not genuine. Windows can become 'deactivated' for lots of reasons. Cmorris mentioned the time and date on the PC was wrong, which is a classic one.

Has the OP said what version of Windows this is?
    Can you bypass the dialog asking for a key to try and reactivate online?

Fair enough, to be honest it's often like pulling teeth or getting blood from a stone with these posts :D
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If an OEM version of Windows is asking for activation then there's something wrong! It shouldn't need activation and running the recovery disc should re-activate it without needing to ask for the product key to be entered.

IIRC there was an update or issue that caused the Windows not genuine message to appear on OEM installations but I can't for the life of me remember what it was! It's been 2 1/2 years since I stopped working for PCW tech support so can't even check the knowledgebase!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have a tool to check activation / WGA problems. Have you tried this OP?
    Google it for whatever OS you have? http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/
    Forum Member
    I haven't got the laptop with me but I am sure the activation will work. Its is Windows 7 Home Premium.

If I get the product key from the speccy and try the slui.exe command but if this doesn't work, do a full wipe and load and enter the code.

This should work. If the software suggested on here so one of these is bound to work
  • Albert_ChandlerAlbert_Chandler Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    if it is a dell pc which was brought with windows 7 pre installed and you have a windows 7 reinstall disk from dell then you DO NOT need a windows key. widows will not ask you for one. you may however need a dell driver disk to install the drivers after installing windows.
    Forum Member
    Ok I will get the product key just in case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dell product CD I have is for reinstallation of the operating system onto that PC. I can see no other partition on the Disk. for recovery.
    Most Dell PCs have a recovery partition, so are you sure it hasn't been messed with?

Have you backed up all the users data?
    Forum Member
    I can log into windows and retrieve the data and no it only has 1 HDD and no partition
    Forum Member
    Fixed it cheers guys for all help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fixed it cheers guys for all help!
    You know it is polite to tell us how you fixed it.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You know it is polite to tell us how you fixed it.

reminds me that the DS Computing needs to have a cmorris beer fund to cover us all for fixing his problems
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    reminds me that the DS Computing needs to have a cmorris beer fund to cover us all for fixing his problems

Well it was partly you and me. I found some commands on the net and used those to repair the spcslv
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was partly you and me. I found some commands on the net and used those to repair the spcslv
    What's spcslv :confused:
    Forum Member
    Speccy basically finds details of your computer such as processor, RAM OS etc, it works much the same as CPUZ but it is a bit fancier
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who claims to be an IT Technician/Tutor in their profile, you seem to need a lot of help a lot of the time, OP. Maybe you're in the wrong job?
    Forum Member
    Not all the time. I do undertake jobs on my own without any help