Is it always illegal to park on the pavement?

2»

Comments

• broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    And the statement in the post above is reproduced from the Highway Code and thus represents THE LAW.

I think somebody ought to inform London Borough Council that even though they have provided access for people to be able to park their cars sensibly on the streets of West London so that they are neither blocking the roads or the pavements, according to the Highway Code the residents who do park in the designated parking areas will still be breaking the law.

Or maybe somebody ought to inform the Highways Agency that they are out of date (which is probably more likely).

I wonder whether the traffic warden or policeman who spots this indiscrepancy would fall on the side of the council who (presumably) pay his wages, or on the side of the highway code (who don't!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    the next door neighbours sometimes park thier car on the pavement the other side of the road causing people to have to walk into the road
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    And the statement in the post above is reproduced from the Highway Code and thus represents THE LAW.
    Next, you will be saying that just because someone says it's OK to speed that contradicts the HC, so the person who says it's OK must be right.

The HC is a code of practice.

Some parts quote traffic law and some are advisory.

The HC in itself is not "the law"
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TD1007 wrote: »
    What if your driveway is on the pavement :p

As long as you have a dropped kerb your ok.:)

It really depends where you are. I once got a ticket for parking on the pavement in London at a rear entrance to a loading bay. Because you had to queue to get in and the road was narrow I had no choice. I appealed and lost, now I realise you always get a fob off letter first.

In High Wycombe a few years ago I had to deliver a TV to a narrow street and had to do the same. Got the ticket cancelled (after the initial fob off letter) because I had no choice. They also pointed out that it is dangerous to pedestrians to park on the pavement......which I pointed out that a similar street in HW has lines PAINTED on the pavement indicating it was ok to do so. Hypocrites!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grrrr this is one of my major bug-bears, I hate people who park half on the pavement epsecially when some inconsiderate person doesn't keep their hedge trimmed and that takes up the other half, I see no reason why i or my children or anyone else should be forced to walk in the road to get past.

as for them losing a wing mirror or getting their paintwork scratched by a buggy try to get past, serves em bloomin right I say!
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    stumblebum wrote: »
    The HC is a code of practice.

Some parts quote traffic law and some are advisory.

The HC in itself is not "the law"

and those denoted by MUST NOT in red text ARE the law, as in this case.

The rest, admittedly, is good practice.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    BrideXIII wrote: »
    Grrrr this is one of my major bug-bears, I hate people who park half on the pavement epsecially when some inconsiderate person doesn't keep their hedge trimmed and that takes up the other half, I see no reason why i or my children or anyone else should be forced to walk in the road to get past.

as for them losing a wing mirror or getting their paintwork scratched by a buggy try to get past, serves em bloomin right I say!

Agree entirely!

Whilst I have no problem with cars parking partly on the pavement if it's wide enough they have no right to obstruct the pavement such that it's hard for pedestrians (with or without double buggies!) to get past.

They do it at their peril and if they get a scratch ot ten on the side of their car due to me or my granddaughter (with buggy!) having to squeeze past, tough for them. :D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My friend got a ticket for parking with two wheels on the pavement. He only did it so that the narrow road would be passable. No yellow lines or anything. Everyone did it yet he got a ticket.

Next time he parked on that road he parked with all four wheels on the road (perfectly legal) and blocked the road. After half an hour the police turned up and told him to park it up on the pavement because he was causing an obstruction.:confused::confused:

Total madness!
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Agree entirely!

Whilst I have no problem with cars parking partly on the pavement if it's wide enough they have no right to obstruct the pavement such that it's hard for pedestrians (with or without double buggies!) to get past.

They do it at their peril and if they get a scratch ot ten on the side of their car due to me or my granddaughter (with buggy!) having to squeeze past, tough for them. :D

I don't have a problem with it either if it's wide enough, but most the time around here the pavements aren't that wide.

Last night coming home was even worse than usual. It was bin day so people had also left their bins on the path as well.
    Car on the pavement+wheelie bin=totally blocked pavement.

Meaning I either had to move every bin or walk on the road with my kids :rolleyes: :mad:
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But to claim that you shouldn't have a car if you don't have enough room on your land to park said car, so that it does not remain on a road overnight, is just naive and ignorant in the extreme.

Ah - The japanese, always thought of as a naive and ignorant race

" you can’t even buy a car in Tokyo unless you can prove that you have a place to park it"

- LINK