2TB Box upgrade

Bob_JenkinsBob_Jenkins Posts: 64
Forum Member
So our box is playing up and I'm thinking of getting a refurbished HD box or going with the 2TB upgrade option here:

http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/box-upgrade/?stop_mobi=yes

Would I be right in thinking it will cost:

£49 for the box,
£10pm extra for the family bundle upgrade as we are currently on the basic package,
£60 setup fee!!

That setup fee seems pretty excessive to me.

Comments

• itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware that Sky is apparently set to release a new box this year.

Those are Sky prices I would stay on the basic package if I were you, otherwise before you know it you will be paying £70 a month.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ended up paying £65 for a box and an extra £5 to upgrade to what was then Entertainment Extra+. I opted to self install but then had a problem which a local ariel firm sorted but they only charged me £25
  • racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Be aware that Sky is apparently set to release a new box this year.
    Have you got any information about the new box?
  • Bob_JenkinsBob_Jenkins Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into this new box.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    Have you got any information about the new box?

None at all.:D

I am going by the reports on DS, and other media sites.

It was also in a Sky press pack apparently by mistake but it did not say anything about it apart from it was being developed.

Its apparently coming out this year.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None at all.:D

I am going by the reports on DS, and other media sites.

It was also in a Sky press pack apparently by mistake but it did not say anything about it apart from it was being developed.

Its apparently coming out this year.

The only new Sky box that looks imminent is a new Now TV box. The rumours about a new 4k Sky box have been denied in the Sky quarterly report last week.

See this thread for more discussion on this - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2037532
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only new Sky box that looks imminent is a new Now TV box. The rumours about a new 4k Sky box have been denied in the Sky quarterly report last week.

See this thread for more discussion on this - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2037532

Sky denying is a lie, they will release a 4k box, but not yet.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Of course they will eventually, what they're denying is the report that it will be rushed out in the next few months.
    A good thing too, rushing out a box apparently just to steal a march on BT, who are supposedly bringing out a 4K capable box at the end of the year, would be madness when no standards have yet been set for the over the air broadcasting of 4K.
    Yes it would work with Internet delivery, as Netflix does now, but would almost certainly have been immediately obsolescent as far as future domestic 4K satellite broadcasts are concerned.
    :)
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I get that £60 set-up charge on my account.

What's it for - I'm perfectly capable of changing over the cables and calling to have the card paired?
  • cidermanciderman Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I've just upgraded to a 2TB box - it was posted out to me and I installed it. As you say it only requires the cables to be changed over. Therefore no £60 charge. And you don't have to phone up to pair your card anymore.Easy!
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Sky denying is a lie, they will release a 4k box, but not yet.

I was reading a presentation from the EBU last week about future developments in 4K broadcasting following the approval of UHD-1 Phase 1. So far it appears no European broadcasters are prepared to commit to 4K until Phase 2 has been approved which should be sometime between 2016 and 2018.

I would guess BSkyB is one of those broadcasters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Currently doing battle with sky over getting new 2TB box, they are insisting that I pay £60 installation fee for swapping a few cables!!!! Despite arguing that I can do this myself they are not budging.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I just bought a 2TB STB upgrade from Sky, via their website, and oddly they say that a £60 install fee will be levied - but once you click on okay you finally get the opportunity to go self-install and knock it back off the bill. Rather odd way of doing it as I imagine it puts a few potential purchasers off before they even start.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    Some great replies here. I am quite tempted to go for it now.. 😀
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much are people buying them for?

We are quoted £149 +£60, after signing in.

£49 sounds to good to be true :D
    Forum Member
    How much are people buying them for?

We are quoted £149 +£60, after signing in.

£49 sounds to good to be true :D

Lucky you - they're quoting £249 + £60 to me! :o
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky you - they're quoting £249 + £60 to me! :o

Seems random then :(

Current package may have something to do with it?
    I guess they won't let us have the box at £49 (to good to be true)?
    For us no package to upgrade as already have sports/movies?
    Forum Member
    Well I won't be going ahead. You're right about no £60 charge, however sky want to charge me the full price of the box @£249.

A shame, but there are more important things to spend £249 on. :D
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    To me it was £149 plus £15 for something else, I forget what. It does depend on if they've given you any sort of discount on a previous box I believe.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    To me it was £149 plus £15 for something else, I forget what. It does depend on if they've given you any sort of discount on a previous box I believe.

Regards

Mark

That might explain my high price. I got one of the 1TB when they were first introduced and I think I got a discount on that.
    Forum Member
    Maybe, I rang them up and the guy stated the £49 deal was for multi room customers. Willing to bet if I spoke with another adviser the condition would be different. 😀

No reduction or offers from the day we started with sky 5 years ago.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, I rang them up and the guy stated the £49 deal was for multi room customers. Willing to bet if I spoke with another adviser the condition would be different. 😀

No reduction or offers from the day we started with sky 5 years ago.

Surely, when you joined Sky 5 years ago, you initial box would have been discounted? Their terms do state only 1 discounted HD box per household.
    Forum Member
    Haha, I knew someone would mention that. As does everyone when they first sign up to Sky.
  • GibsyGibsy Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    A couple of years ago I tried upgrading to the 2TB box but despite being with Sky pretty much from day one, was quoted £249.
    I decided to email Jeremy Darroch stating I was somewhat disappointed being a loyal customer etc etc. The morning after I received a call from "his office" and all I had to pay was £15.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I knew someone would mention that. As does everyone when they first sign up to Sky.

Anyone who joined and got a discounted HD box is not instantly entitled to another discounted HD box.

Anyone who joined and got a discounted Sky+ (non HD) box IS entitled to a discounted HD box, as they have not have one.

It is quite simple really.

When Sky bring out a new box, you will be entitled to a discounted one, just like new customers.

Not that hard to understand really.