Options

DAB vs internet radio

cgkcgk Posts: 528
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just moved house and was looking at a number DAB radio for the kitchen - however I have a fairly decent dock and have been using Tunein to listen to the radio instead (I mainly listen to BBC stations, some absolute 90s and Planet Rock).

It's got me thinking - is there any actual advantage to buying a DAB radio or should I just carry on using Tuneitin? (I have unlimited broadband so that is not an issue).

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main difference is in user-friendliness. I have a DAB radio and a wi-fi radio side-by-side in the kitchen. The wi-fi radio gets by far the most use but if I want to hear the news, or in fact any live radio from the BBC, LBC, Xfm, TalkSport etc, I'll use the DAB radio because it's quicker and more straightforward to use.

Wi-fi radio: switch on, wait for radio to find network, wait for radio to connect to network, wait for last-listened stream to load, scroll through station list, click on desired station, wait for it to load and start playing.

DAB radio: switch on, wait for radio to start, tune to desired station, wait a sec and that's it.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have unlimited internet then use it at home.
    If you use the Absolute (or radioplayer) app and sign up you get less ads.
    For those with limited or no internet DAB and FM maybe better?
    The main problem with internet at home is some sporting events do not have rights.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The main difference is in user-friendliness. I have a DAB radio and a wi-fi radio side-by-side in the kitchen. The wi-fi radio gets by far the most use but if I want to hear the news, or in fact any live radio from the BBC, LBC, Xfm, TalkSport etc, I'll use the DAB radio because it's quicker and more straightforward to use.

Wi-fi radio: switch on, wait for radio to find network, wait for radio to connect to network, wait for last-listened stream to load, scroll through station list, click on desired station, wait for it to load and start playing.

DAB radio: switch on, wait for radio to start, tune to desired station, wait a sec and that's it.

Not so with my Pure Evoke Flow for internet radio. Switch it on, searches for a maximum of 5 seconds and station is there.
    Using the remote is a bit touch and go sometimes though.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so with my Pure Evoke Flow for internet radio. Switch it on, searches for a maximum of 5 seconds and station is there.
    Using the remote is a bit touch and go sometimes though.

Quick and unscientific test of the time from switch-on to station playing:

Pure Evoke DAB: 5 seconds
    Revo Pico IR wi-fi: 33 seconds

Maybe other wi-fi radios have a faster start-up.
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    I have all the BBC stations saved as Favourites on the Squeezebox Touch. It is just a matter of waking up the Touch, selecting the station from the list and it's playing. Total time, about 4 seconds, 2 seconds if it was the last station listened to.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    One problem is drop outs on internet radio. There is an ongoing problem with Classic FM which makes it unusable and today there has been the odd drop out on Planet Rock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAB vs Internet is a false choice as they are different platforms serving different purposes. That said, my recent experiences with different devices and different connections seems to indicate that the internet is in gradual meltdown - presumably because of over use and cyber insecurity. I want to listen to a program on I Player later today and wonder whether it will work or connect when I want it to, whereas the DAB tuner will come to life in a couple of seconds if I listen live. Perhaps we are putting too much strain on the w.w.w tying all our activities to it.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    internet can have down time where as DAB would keep going if getting a signal.
    I would get a radio with both.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DAB vs Internet is a false choice as they are different platforms serving different purposes. That said, my recent experiences with different devices and different connections seems to indicate that the internet is in gradual meltdown - presumably because of over use and cyber insecurity. I want to listen to a program on I Player later today and wonder whether it will work or connect when I want it to, whereas the DAB tuner will come to life in a couple of seconds if I listen live. Perhaps we are putting too much strain on the w.w.w tying all our activities to it.

Which ISP is that? Most of them have got rid of the usage limits which were common a few years ago, as there's plenty of capacity now. That said it's still possible for an individual exchange to be oversubscribed at a local level.
  • Options
    ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched back to dab from internet radio. I just don't need all the streams available out there, just seems like the same old crap multiplied by thousands. Foreign radio just isn't interesting and the novelty soon wore off. Also as somebody said it was useless for listening to alot of football as the streams stopped during matches due to legal issues. If you have good dab reception then what is on those muxes is probably all you will ever need.
  • Options
    tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are of a certain age like me and are no longer catered for on broadcast radio, then you will have no choice but to listen as best you can on the internet. I say as best you can because as has already been mentioned it has a myriad of reliability problems.
    For instance, mobile is for the most part a frustrating no no. Go out of town and the signal will drop out for long periods no matter what phone network you use. In fact even using it at home on a wireless network is not without dropouts from time to time. On the plus side the choice is fantastic. I would love to be able to listen to "Flower power radio" on dab. What a brilliant station!
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet music stations are normally in STEREO! DAB alone would be OK for speech and sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet music stations are normally in STEREO! DAB alone would be OK for speech and sports.
    A lot of the main BBC and main commercial (Classic, Heart, Capital, Smooth, XFM, Bauer place) stations are stereo 128k which is OK for music.
    Even some like Planetrock,Teamrock athough mono are still ok for music at 80k.
    But there are some stations where music audio could be better.

The internet has the capacity for some good AAC streams, but the difference with a good DAB reception might only be heard with very good speakers or headphones.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Even some like Planetrock,Teamrock athough mono are still ok for music at 80k.
    If you think Planet Rock and TeamRock are "ok for music" at 80k, then you probably haven't heard Kerrang!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    If you think Planet Rock and TeamRock are "ok for music" at 80k, then you probably haven't heard Kerrang!
    I don't agree that Planetrock and Abs 80s should have gone mono to fit in Teamrock.

Now having a listen there seems to be something wrong with the audio setup on Kerrang on London DAB?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an internet radio when LBC disappeared from the North West.
    Spent a lot of time trying to find obscure music stations and the novelty wore off after a while. Only so many hours in the day.
    Plus LBC is back on DAB in my area. In hindsight I wouldn't have bought one. I use it as my main radio though as it has a rechargeable battery so can be carried about the house.
    So not a complete waste of money and I hardly have any dropouts. Good way of getting radio, but a bit niche.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got an internet radio so I could keep listening to LBC (I'm nowhere near London) without having to have the computer on (one of those pocket Sansui radios). Only now, what with LBC going National at being on the DAB network I've just eBayed a DAB radio that has the exact same outer shell as the internet radio but this one does DAB (obviously) and also lets you record to Mini SD card. I'll now be able to go for early morning walks whilst listening along to Steve Alan, and then record Nick Abbot so I don't keep missing it when I fall asleep too soon.
    Since I haven't got it yet I can't really give you a comparison so this post is kinda useless to ya, my bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now having a listen there seems to be something wrong with the audio setup on Kerrang on London DAB?
    What sounds wrong with it, to your ears?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerrang has a lot of modern rock which could be more compressed at source and then compressed again for radio leaving hardly any dynamic range, just noise, but changing the eq on my portable set with headphones boosting bass it was listenable. Although now digital only it still has almost a million listeners according to Rajar, but listening hours per listener is down from 5 to 4 each week.
    Notice Kerrang is one of several stations moved into Absolut'e Golden Square studios.http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/bauer-to-move-radio-to-none-golden-square/
    Hope they have ensured all the audio links are setup properly to get the best output?
    Kisstory still has not made it to DAB as Bauer said it would, maybe with D2?
    Also hope they eventually get back all DAB music stations to stereo.
    Catherine91's comment on the audio quality of DAB being for speech only does not hold up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kerrang has a lot of modern rock which could be more compressed at source and then compressed again for radio leaving hardly any dynamic range, just noise, but changing the eq on my portable set with headphones boosting bass it was listenable.
    Notice Kerrang is one of several stations moved into Absolut'e Golden Square studios.http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/bauer-to-move-radio-to-none-golden-square/
    Hope they have ensured all the audio links are setup properly to get the best output?
    Conversely, I personally thought Kerrang! (along with The Hits and heat Radio) sounded better (and by that I mean brighter) than Planet Rock and TeamRock. At least Kerrang! hits 15kHz (same as FM) where as the latter two only reach 12-13k (which I find difficult to equate to a mono version of the more standard 128k stereo, as many here seem to do)... which is probably OK for the present-day YouTube / Beats Audio generation.
    just noise
    Some people call that "music"! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Conversely, I personally thought Kerrang! (along with The Hits and heat Radio) sounded better (and by that I mean brighter) than Planet Rock and TeamRock. At least Kerrang! hits 15kHz (same as FM) where as the latter two only reach 12-13k (which I find difficult to equate to a mono version of the more standard 128k stereo, as many here seem to do)... which is probably OK for the present-day YouTube / Beats Audio generation.

Some people call that "music"! ;)
    My limit is less than 15khz now I'm older so Planetrock is OK. Dynamic range is more important to me than frequency
    I edited the reply before your reply that almost a million enjoy the "noise" of Kerrang
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The internet has the capacity for some good AAC streams, but the difference with a good DAB reception might only be heard with very good speakers or headphones.

A few years ago, I used to do a lot of DAB listening, but I'm currently working more hours at the sports centre.

I have a Roberts radio with optical feed to a Sony music system, and a Wharfedale subwoofer. DAB gives some outstanding bass, particularly on the BBC channels. A good one is a local station BBC Shropshire. Looking at the specs of the Roberts radio, it specifies 20 Hz for DAB at the low end, and 50 Hz for FM. This is born out in the reproduction, that there is very active bass on DAB - but quite often a shortage at the high end. FM can be woolley on bass, but refreshingly clear on higher frequencies. So take your pick depending upon the programme being listened to !

The great thing about internet streaming audio, which when it is good is outstanding, is the absence of noise and artifacts at high frequencies.

So yes I agree that the better the equipment being used, the better the enjoyment, and it is worth getting the best equipment that can be afforded.

For newer followers of this forum, this is my "subwoofer story". It was in a sale at a local hifi shop ( now closed ). The first evening that I had it, I had all of the CDs out to try it out - as you can imagine, Dire Straits etc. I went to bed very pleased with "boom boom...". At 3:30 the next morning, I was awakened by a loud rumble, as 300 books fell off the bookself... The moral is - if you want to read, buy a Kindle...
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Quick and unscientific test of the time from switch-on to station playing:

Pure Evoke DAB: 5 seconds
    Revo Pico IR wi-fi: 33 seconds

Maybe other wi-fi radios have a faster start-up.

I have a Roberts internet radio, and if I use the preset buttons it is almost instant.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Have a Pure One Flow Dab, Internet and FM radio reckon its 90% used on internet with unlimited fibre broadband. Use DAB occasionally for my BBC local, Planet Rock and Absolute. I use internet for all other stations incl my local commercial. Drop outs are very rare these days. Sound doesn't bother me as its mono anyway. I doubt many normal radio listeners care about bit rates.
    I do use 100% FM in the car though as a compatible DAB radio is £300 and no way am I spending that I am happy with the existing radio.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cgk wrote: »
    I've just moved house ....
    Have you checked that you can actually get an adequate DAB signal at your new house?

The coverage is still quite patchy in some parts of the country. You might be OK with a portable, but you might need an outdoor aerial, but even then there is no guarantee.