Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was announced for BBC One, so it's either a mistake on TV Times' part or it's been moved. I suppose BBC Two would be a better fit for it, it would have only ended up after the news on BBC One anyway.

Is on BBC1, was a clerical error on my part, all other shows correct

Meanwhile what is Marvellous which is on BBC2.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Is on BBC1, was a clerical error on my part, all other shows correct

Meanwhile what is Marvellous which is on BBC2.

Marvellous is a drama starring Toby Jones, completely passed me by when it was commissioned but actually looks quite interesting.
    The film tells the beautiful, funny, true story of Neil Baldwin, a man who confounds our expectations: he has been a circus clown; a lay preacher; kit man at Stoke City (Lou Macari has often described him as his best-ever signing, and they became firm friends), once famously leading the City attack against Aston Villa in a testimonial match; he is on first name terms with leading sportsmen and senior clergy; and most recently, he was awarded an Honorary Degree by Keele University for the contributions he has made to campus life there across the last 50 years. In a world in which we seem intent on labelling each other, Neil has consistently defied any definition at all.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/marvellous
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now I remember! Looks like it could be interesting.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year passes, Autumn appears and the same stuff is repeated year after year. Glenn, don't get me wrong your a pleasant poster but you seem to be stuck on repeat. Each year you make the point about IAC dropping if it doesn't get the right celebs, but it still pulls in 8m nightly for ITV, XF declining this year with ITV in trouble and the wheels coming off. And that drama can sell DVD's but XF can't.

The X Factor doesn't need to sell DVD's or be repeated. It sells enough advertising space for two ITV's dramas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think 'Tumble' will do on Saturday? Drop further, remain at the same level (given the same competition of 1 hr of YBF) or rise?

I think it will stay at around 2.8m-3m, and rise slightly when DW returns!?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think 'Tumble' will do on Saturday? Drop further, remain at the same level (given the same competition of 1 hr of YBF) or rise?

I think Tumble will sadly "tumble". There hasn't been enough buzz created from it. Samuels proclamation that it will be the biggest entertainment launch in years seems to have smacked him in the nose a little. I want it to be successful, but with a warmer, drier weekend forecast this week I suspect watching Tumble won't be high on many folks list of priorities.

Rumour is rife that Madonna is to headline a live X Factor show this year. Cowell is keen to use his influence and sign up big names. He has his mind set on U2, Adele and Madonna for starters. With Madonna releasing a new album this Autumn, she could well be up for it considering her last release disappeared into the abyss without anyone noticing.

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnalicious/

(Keep scrolling down past her birthday celebration nonsense!)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year passes, Autumn appears and the same stuff is repeated year after year. Glenn, don't get me wrong your a pleasant poster but you seem to be stuck on repeat. Each year you make the point about IAC dropping if it doesn't get the right celebs, but it still pulls in 8m nightly for ITV, XF declining this year with ITV in trouble and the wheels coming off. And that drama can sell DVD's but XF can't.

The X Factor doesn't need to sell DVD's or be repeated. It sells enough advertising space for two ITV's dramas.

You're one of the more civil people on here and I think IAC confounds everyone by its continued success. I think the reason it's succeeded where most of its contemporaries have long gone is by being limited to 17 days, unlike BB bad language and obnoxious behaviour aren't tolerated and having two very popular hosts. Had ITV decided to have it on twice a year or extend it to six weeks, it could have died about five years ago.
    Also November probably is ITV's most successful month with DA, IAC and TXF, with the soaps holding up the schedule before 9.00. DA definitely is a jewel for ITV as it gets the sort of demos they often lack. Also it's quite a good show.
    Autumn 2015 should be very big for ITV. Along with the three big hits, they have the RU world cup. While the Champions League has gone, this should prove even more lucrative, having a very large male ABC1 following and should England get into the final, 15 million viewers are likely.
    On another note, Carlisle Utd, the nearest club to me, were on Sky last night, any idea of the ratings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think Tumble will sadly "tumble". There hasn't been enough buzz created from it. Samuels proclamation that it will be the biggest entertainment launch in years seems to have smacked him in the nose a little. I want it to be successful, but with a warmer, drier weekend forecast this week I suspect watching Tumble won't be high on many folks list of priorities.

Rumour is rife that Madonna is to headline a live X Factor show this year. Cowell is keen to use his influence and sign up big names. He has his mind set on U2, Adele and Madonna for starters. With Madonna releasing a new album this Autumn, she could well be up for it considering her last release disappeared into the abyss without anyone noticing.

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnalicious/

(Keep scrolling down past her birthday celebration nonsense!)

The shocking truth is Tumble beat everything in primetime on ITV over the weekend. Which just shows the depths at which ITV can plummet when they don't try and the audience give up watching the channel for a time.

Tumble looks set to be one series, although if Samuel is so fond of it perhaps the BBC should recommission it and put it in the middle of primtetime against XF seeing as its 'the biggest new entertainment show this year'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    You're one of the more civil people on here and I think IAC confounds everyone by its continued success. I think the reason it's succeeded where most of its contemporaries have long gone is by being limited to 17 days, unlike BB bad language and obnoxious behaviour aren't tolerated and having two very popular hosts. Had ITV decided to have it on twice a year or extend it to six weeks, it could have died about five years ago.
    Also November probably is ITV's most successful month with DA, IAC and TXF, with the soaps holding up the schedule before 9.00. DA definitely is a jewel for ITV as it gets the sort of demos they often lack. Also it's quite a good show.
    Autumn 2015 should be very big for ITV. Along with the three big hits, they have the RU world cup. While the Champions League has gone, this should prove even more lucrative, having a very large male ABC1 following and should England get into the final, 15 million viewers are likely.
    On another note, Carlisle Utd, the nearest club to me, were on Sky last night, any idea of the ratings?

Thanks for your reply. I think I might have been a little rude. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DA was filming at Alnwick castle recently for the Christmas Special (the same place HP was filmed at) with snow. So it look like a proper Xmas episode of Downton this year which should enure its more festive for the time of year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With ITV apparently bringing back 'Sunday night at the Palladium', could they be lining up Bruce Forsyth to present it?

Personally I think Michael McIntyre would be a perfect host.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With ITV apparently bringing back 'Sunday night at the Palladium', could they be lining up Bruce Forsyth to present it?

Personally I think Michael McIntyre would be a perfect host.

Bruce is already committed to some BBC1 specials. I doubt very much if he'd want to commit to another show that is likely to go up against a show he is still attached to! Don't forget he will be still presenting the Christmas Special of Strictly. Not sure about Michael McIntyre. He's too manic for such a prestigious slot surely? Wouldn't mind betting they'll have guest hosts each week.
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given the audience actually rose consistently during the time it was airing I think it might be pretty stable. The problem might be that they're doing aerial hoops and floor again and that could see some viewers switching off (Strictly switches it up by doing 2 different dances in the 2nd week before the 1st elimination).

I found the actual routines entertaining but the problem was with only one host it didn't flow as well. Introducing the acts, talking to the judges, and then chatting to the contestants after are what we expect from this type of show and a single host can't do all 3 things without there being some big gaps...
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Well if you were refering to the 2 big channels churning out the same stuff year after year you would be correct. I mean you could write ITV1 and to a certain extent BBC1 schedules for next autumn now.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Would you please edit your post to say Robin? Just to avoid confusion.

Still very sad :(

Now this was bad timing
    Robin Williams' Family Guy episode showing failed suicide attempt was on BBC Three minutes before death was announced

http://news360.com/article/252472851/#
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A ratings thread without ratings....well done everyone for ''filling.'' I can confirm two people in our house watched the Six O'clock News.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Someone on here mentioned A Year in Provence from 1993 if I remember correctly while talking about previous schedules?

Managed to get access to ratings in the stage archive and good god it was a flop and a half! To go from almost 15m to barely making 5m is shocking. Has any other programme before or since dropped so much? Why did it flop? I've read scathing things about it. Sorry if this is way off topic but I thought it was interesting.
    Episode 1 (28 February 1993)	14.67m
    Episode 2 (07 March 1993)	11.97m
    Episode 3 (14 March 1993)	9.17m
    Episode 4 (21 March 1993)	7.46m
    Episode 5 (28 March 1993)	7.38m
    Episode 6 (04 April 1993)	~6.75m
    Episode 7 (11 April 1993)	~6.85m
    Episode 8 (18 April 1993)	~6.36m
    Episode 9 (25 April 1993)	~6.53m
    Episode 10 (02 May 1993)	~5.97m
    Episode 11 (09 May 1993)	~5.91m
    Episode 12 (16 May 1993)	~6.40m

Episodes 6-12 didn't make the BBC 1 top 30.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    A ratings thread without ratings....well done everyone for ''filling.'' I can confirm two people in our house watched the Six O'clock News.

Oh go on then. I can provide last nights ratings:

BBC1:
    The One Show (3 people in Surrey and their dog)
    Fake Britain (Matt Alright watched it with his wife. Oh and his neighbour)
    EastEnders (13m)
    Miranda (Anyone who wasn't watching Corrie watched this)
    Death in Paradise (11 people in a nursing home in Scunthorpe watched this and didn't remember it was a repeat).

ITV:

Emmerdale (4m probably. Maybe more).
    Coronation Street (7m perhaps!)
    Whatever ITV were showing at 8pm: (My sister's two budgies and a frozen steak pie)
    Coronation Street (6m possibly)
    Long Lost Family (More than those watching the other side)
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now this was bad timing
    Robin Williams' Family Guy episode showing failed suicide attempt was on BBC Three minutes before death was announced

http://news360.com/article/252472851/#

Wow that's weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I think I might have been a little rude. Sorry.

No problem, some people on here have agendas that have driven long term posters away. However, I wish this forum had existed in the seventies when ratings were massive.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

BBC1:
    EastEnders (13m)
    Death in Paradise (11 people in a nursing home in Scunthorpe watched this and didn't remember it was a repeat).

ITV:

Whatever ITV were showing at 8pm: (My sister's two budgies and a frozen steak pie)

I can categorically state that you have massively underestimated the ratings for Fake Britain - my mum watched it and she has 3 budgies !! :D
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change of programme
    BBC1, Thursday 14th August, 10.35pm: Robin Williams' Oscar-winning role in Good Will Hunting
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell still no ratings. Have they normally taken this long to come out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC1:
    EastEnders (13m)

ITV:

ho ho, there's always room for a bit of humour. On Sky Sports 3, Carlisle vs Derby, a few men in the Border Rambler on Botchergate who couldn't afford a ticket. Actually for all I don't do football much, this is the local team and they did play bravely against a much bigger side.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ho ho, there's always room for a bit of humour. On Sky Sports 3, Carlisle vs Derby, a few men in the Border Rambler on Botchergate who couldn't afford a ticket. Actually for all I don't do football much, this is the local team and they did play bravely against a much bigger side.

Ratings and a comprehensive match report. Even better. :)
This discussion has been closed.