The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Your obssession with Samuel's obssession is equally as unhealthy. What Samuel likes is his business, I bet you wouldn't slag off trainspotters who only observe trains from a favoured operator over another.

:D:D:D:D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan_H wrote: »
    Yes, but you can't just deny it's existence which seems to be the case with you. I'm not saying that the overall reach is not decreasing, but you have to give the full picture. What you provide is not accurate.

And Tumble was not a way to get people working for the BBC that wouldn't normally. That is utter rubbish. How is working on a show that is cancelled after 1 series going to help in anyway? They wanted a hit, it failed. Let it go.

Has Tumble officially been cancelled yet?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Done. :) They don't give you much space, do they?!

Tell be about it! Thanks - I'll send a PM to your shortly. :)
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Yeah i know. Tumble aired in the summer though when total tv audiences are much lower. Tumble aired in an earlier slot too. It had a higher share than Splash's second series. Plus, as we've already established, it was kind of a tester filler series for the summer. The main objective of tumble was to introduce many members of crew who had predominantly worked in the commerical sector previously, to the BBC family. It was about building strong relationships and ties with production members who will one day think of the next big idea and come to the bbc first instead of other channels.

Tumble has gone from the next big light entertainment hit to a tester filler series for the summer. Remarkable.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC brought in a new team to make Secret Service which was designed to allow this team to become loyal to the BBC. Following its axe they came up with That Puppet Game Show, which was then also axed. The same team who are loyal ONLY to the BBC and are responsible for coming up with the 'NEXT BIG THING'.......................then came up with Tumble. The BBC were envied by rival broadcasters. Heralded as the 'NEXT BIG THING' it was hoped it would return to BBC1 for years to come. The rest is history.

This same team are about to exit the BBC.
  • Ryan_HRyan_H Posts: 70
    Forum Member

No. But we all know it is a matter of time.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Your obssession with Samuel's obssession is equally as unhealthy. What Samuel likes is his business, I bet you wouldn't slag off trainspotters who only observe trains from a favoured operator over another.

Hilarious.
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the phrase is rested indefinitely! ;-)
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Tumble was just a practice LE show for BBC1. I have it on good authority that the BBC are planning a new show simply called 'Fumble'. It consists of celebrities rifling through the BBC archives to find clues to a question. It will debut on BBC1 next year in the heart of primetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure people out there do. They're probably on their own forums now saying 'I bet you wouldn't slag off television obsessives who criticise one television channel over everything else'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Tumble was just a practice LE show for BBC1. I have it on good authority that the BBC are planning a new show simply called 'Fumble'. It consists of celebrities rifling through the BBC archives to find clues to a question. It will debut on BBC1 next year in the heart of primetime.

In all seriousness, I wonder whether BBC One will fully embrace the ITV route of basically giving up on finding a new light entertainment hit and just bringing back old series instead. We already have Miranda Hart's (or somebody else) Generation Game in the offing - the floodgates could be opening there too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm sure people out there do. They're probably on their own forums now saying 'I bet you wouldn't slag off television obsessives who criticise one television channel over everything else'.

Have we gone back into the outline for Oh Sourcey as discussed last night? Do these obsessives wear black leather and chains - except the BBC ones who wear mocassins?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have we gone back into the outline for Oh Sourcey as discussed last night? Do these obsessives wear black leather and chains - except the BBC ones who wear mocassins?

And are chained up by their arms in a spread-eagled position except for the BBC ones who sit in a comfortable armchair?

Yes, I think we are returning to Oh Sourcey at a rate of knots. And I'm sure there would be a lot of knots in the show too.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    JUST GIVE UP ALREADY! You drone on all the time, do you ever get bored with slagging off a television channel? I asked this the other day and I'll ask again, why do you hate ITV so much? It's so unhealthy.

This constant nonsense of ITV rating crisis is irritating .

This channel basing has got to stop. Imagine if there was no competition between BBC and ITV, BBC and the other channels would cut corners and make bland shows. We are lucky to have two major networks who during the winter months invest in quality drama and long may BBC and ITV get decent viewing figures.

If ITV folded like someone on this thread wants there would definitely be less quality drama on BBC.

Take Our Zoo yet to be broadcast it had been commissioned due to our love of nostalgic programmes due to ITV taking the risk of investing in Downtown Abbey. I wonder whether we would have seen Call the Midwife?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, I wonder whether BBC One will fully embrace the ITV route of basically giving up on finding a new light entertainment hit and just bringing back old series instead. We already have Miranda Hart's (or somebody else) Generation Game in the offing - the floodgates could be opening there too.

There is still murmurings about "This Is Your Life" returning. Perhaps Saturdays would look like this soon:

5.40pm A Question of Sport
    6.10 Pointless Celebrities
    6.55 The Generation Game
    7.55 The National Lottery: In It To Win It
    8.45 This Is Your Life
    9.20 Casualty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »

This channel basing has got to stop. Imagine if there was no competition between BBC and ITV, BBC and the other channels would cut corners and make bland shows. We are lucky to have two major networks who during the winter months invest in quality drama and long may BBC and ITV get decent viewing figures.

If ITV folded like someone on this thread wants there would definitely be less quality drama on BBC.

Take Our Zoo yet to be broadcast it had been commissioned due to our love of nostalgic programmes due to ITV taking the risk of investing in Downtown Abbey. I wonder whether we would have seen Call the Midwife?

The problem is if ITV keep taking the laissez-faire approach of the summer the result is going to be the same. ITV is basically competitive in the autumn, has a presence in the spring, makes an impact in a couple of slots over the winter and disappears for the summer. It needs to improve it's standards across the board and act more like a broadcaster and less like a business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still murmurings about "This Is Your Life" returning. Perhaps Saturdays would look like this soon:

6.55 The Generation Game
    8.45 This Is Your Life
    9.20 Casualty

Doctor Who had a Dalek named Rusty yesterday - maybe he'll help bring 3, 2, 1 back?
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

This is exactly it. Like fair enough if someone's likes to criticise ITV then so be it. But why the hatred? And why the obsessive posts about it? This is what I don't understand.

We should be so grateful that we have so much choice in this country. The television landscape would be so dull if we only had 1 channel, well there wouldn't even be a television landscape to be honest.

But ITV deserve the low ratings as they have effectively shut up shop over summer which is ridiculous. Mind you, we've had low ratings all round from all channels barring the World Cup. I long for the days of huge audiences again, that's why I love ratings. Is the death of television as we know it imminent with Netflix and other services? I don't know. But in 10 years time we'll definitely see even lower ratings across the board. Crikey I've turned this into an essay. Sorry!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who had a Dalek named Rusty yesterday - maybe he'll help bring 3, 2, 1 back?

Would Rusty be wearing black leather and chains too? Perhaps he could be called Rusty Sin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would Rusty be wearing black leather and chains too? Perhaps he could be called Rusty Sin?

Who exfoliates any of the sources who do not give the required answer? It could give it an additional dimension.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Game Show Story finished at 7.53pm (a whole 7 minutes before TXF starts).
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

6.55 The Generation Game
    8.45 This Is Your Life
    9.20 Casualty

Good schedule. I think This is Your Life definetly has plenty of scope to return. Being nostalgic, Do you remember Murder in Mind and The Murder Game both shown on BBC One Saturday nights? I loved those shows! I think the Murder Game was a flop though, as I remember it debuted earlier in the evening around 8'o clock but then BBC One kept pushing its time slot back later and later with some episodes towards the end of the series airing as late as 10.45pm! I loved it as a reality TV show format though and would like to see it return one day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    The Game Show Story finished at 7.53pm (a whole 7 minutes before TXF starts).

And The X Factor is coming on three minutes early. I wonder if they might do the same next week considering the clash?
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and TXF started at 7.57pm (it's like Christmas Day with stopwatches).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good schedule. I think This is Your Life definetly has plenty of scope to return. Being nostalgic, Do you remember Murder in Mind and The Murder Game both shown on BBC One Saturday nights? I loved those shows! I think the Murder Game was a flop though, as I remember it debuted earlier in the evening around 8'o clock but then BBC One kept pushing its time slot back later and later with some episodes towards the end of the series airing as late as 10.45pm! I loved it as a reality TV show format though and would like to see it return one day.

The Murder Game was superb. Scared the pants off me! Yes, Murder in Mind was terrific too. Standalone stories about murder! I particularly remember the John Thompson one where either he or his neighbour was electrocuted in the swimming pool!
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

To be fair, Downton Abbey was more than likely commissioned due to success of countless BBC 'Cosy' Sunday night period dramas that preceded it over many years.

Yes ITV took the risk investing in Downton Abbey, as any new drama is a risk. But lets not pretend that it bucked or created a period drama trend when it sits in a Tv landscape that was already long established.

:)
This discussion has been closed.