Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Other quotes from the article: "You're right that we should use social media to promote Formula One." and you can't exactly say that FOM is ignoring social media, I mean look at their stuff on their Twitter account nowadays, plus the app. I think it's insulting to assume that the younger generation can only watch stuff online, that they don't know how to turn on the TV when the Grand Prix starts. Besides, you can watch F1 live on PCs, Tablets etc. through their broadcasters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If you watch F1 and consider yourself 'young', you cannot watch it anymore. Go on. Go away. The lot of you: http://www.campaignasia.com/Article/392088,exclusive-f1-boss-bernie-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx

;)
    Oh come on, he hardly said that. He implies he personally doesn't specifically know how to market to the younger generation. He doesn't understand why they are unable to watch F1 on the TV (or via something like BBC iplayer or Live on the BBC Sport app, if we're including computers etc.) like everyone else. I mean can you think of the reason why they can't simply fire up the bbc.co.uk/f1 website, or sky go on their Phones or phones, or even just to turn the TV on..?
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and if your an advocate of twitter and all it represents I suggest you buy shares soon..
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/14/news/companies/twitter-junk-rating/

Oh wait.. Get mum to buy it for ya....Or maybe Grandad.
    Jp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just love that article.
    Bernie has summed up exactly where I feel F1 and the world is today.
    Not quite his 70 year old target audience, in my early 50s but do agree with him about the younger audience.

His flippancy just makes me laugh, he is so good with it. Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying F1 as it is and all the 'politics' and so are the press as you say, the best promotion good/critical you could wish for.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh ok.. some of you get it.
    Jp
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Caterham will be racing at Abu Dhabi.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    All old people were young once. Even Bernie. Sure you don't get immediate financial gains from young people following F1, but as they grow up, get jobs, earn money, you can monetise them further down the line. F1 will have a slow death if Bernie stays in charge for too much longer.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Totally Disagree...
    I think he's right.

But then I'll bet the respondents here have no experience of Women, Careers, Money,History,Politics,Business and all those things he is referring to. So alas, your opinions are moot.

When y'all reach 45 years old you'll get it.
    Or as I predict, possibly not.

Jp

Yeah I think I'll pass on Bernie's views on stuff like politics and women.
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the lapped cars under SC. Why not like Nascar back in the day have the lead cars line up in one line and the lapped cars in another line? Double file restarts!
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All old people were young once. Even Bernie. Sure you don't get immediate financial gains from young people following F1, but as they grow up, get jobs, earn money, you can monetise them further down the line. F1 will have a slow death if Bernie stays in charge for too much longer.

Think they call it 'Long Tail'.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    The trouble with Bernie's plan is all the grandad's departed long ago, spinning tales of how it was much better in their day and they didn't need any of this DRS artificial rubbish....

They're off having 6 HR snoozes when WEC races are on....

I remember the day I got my first job, received some disposable income and thought "You know what, I'm going to give this F1 thing a try...."
    Post race I immediately ran down the shop to buy some Johnny Walker, Benetton jumper and a packet of Buzzin and Hornets....how else would anyone become a fan?
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All old people were young once. Even Bernie. Sure you don't get immediate financial gains from young people following F1, but as they grow up, get jobs, earn money, you can monetise them further down the line.

Exactly this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Turning attentions elsewhere, it's great to see BT Sport showing BOTH races (Saturday morning BT SPORT 2 5:45am Qualifying race, Sunday Morning 5:45am Main race) of the
    F3 Grand Prix of Macau.
    We've never really analysed this, coverage wise, but it's always a shame to see this breathtaking track so badly covered over the course of the weekend.
    (Would've been doubly frustrating if the WTCC title was still up for grabs, but alas that's not the case in the Citroen championship)

So far I've seen only 2 onboard cameras (and only 1 active at any one time, but that might be due to the cars being out on track at separate times) and if you don't crash and the tight "police" corner (or at the start, obviously) then you're not getting your moment caught on TV :p

One day it'd be nice if this track was covered by a broadcaster that knew better camera placement and how to direct a race properly :D
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

And young people are more likely to overlook some of the "faults" in the "product," which they tolerate as they get older due to the habit of watching from a young age. Older eyes looking at F1 for the first time might notice the faults and turn away there and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a sudden inspired solution to Caterham's woes...

Wouldn't it be great if Sky bid on Caterham's kickstarter thingy and made sure to get Martin a seat so he can be their in-race reporter...
    Martin could probably still manage a race distance and it's not like his age would hold that car back at all, and THAT would be something where you could say Sky were bringing something unique to the coverage (well, in Europe at least ;) )

Just imagine how cool it'd be to see Martin do the gridwalk then get strapped into a car :D

Of course, that'd never happen but hey, I'd pay for THAT!
    And when else are they going to get an opportunity like this?
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod Martin Brundle, didn't Mansell never officially retire? ;)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If you watch F1 and consider yourself 'young', you cannot watch it anymore. Go on. Go away. The lot of you: http://www.campaignasia.com/Article/392088,exclusive-f1-boss-bernie-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx

;)

Main thing I take away from that is that Bernie seems to have a bad case of cognitive dissonance going on.

On the one hand, he spends the first part of the interview acknowledging, basically, that different people like different things.

He then spends the rest of the interview suggesting that F1 should try to be all things to all people.

:confused:

So, perhaps ballet should hire taller dancers and indulge in segments of break-dancing, hip-hop and boogie during performances?

Maybe Football should have multi-ball sessions, variable goal sizes and matches should be played on pitches up mountains, in forests, in deserts etc?

Or maybe doing that would just f**k it up for the people who already ARE fans of that thing and the people who're fans of that other stuff would just continue to be fans of other stuff rather than watching something which contained a bit of what they enjoy?

Trouble with Bernie is, as they say, that you can tell when he's lying because his lips are moving.
    It's doubtful that he'll ever give an entirely frank, honest, interview.
    Instead, everything that he says is always an opportunity to either hint at something that's of interest to a potential investor, offer support to an ally or level a threat at an adversary or a detractor.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Trouble with Bernie is, as they say, that you can tell when he's lying because his lips are moving.
    It's doubtful that he'll ever give an entirely frank, honest, interview.
    Instead, everything that he says is always an opportunity to either hint at something that's of interest to a potential investor, offer support to an ally or level a threat at an adversary or a detractor.

I could've believed that 10 years ago, probably 5. Now he gives the impression of just a doddery old man talking a constant stream of inconsistent shit.

Maybe that's all part of the strategy, but more likely it is just time for him to step down and let someone else have a go.
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a sudden inspired solution to Caterham's woes...

Wouldn't it be great if Sky bid on Caterham's kickstarter thingy and made sure to get Martin a seat so he can be their in-race reporter...
    Martin could probably still manage a race distance and it's not like his age would hold that car back at all, and THAT would be something where you could say Sky were bringing something unique to the coverage (well, in Europe at least ;) )

Just imagine how cool it'd be to see Martin do the gridwalk then get strapped into a car :D

Of course, that'd never happen but hey, I'd pay for THAT!
    And when else are they going to get an opportunity like this?

Does Brundle still have a super licence though. They do have of personnel that do still qualify, eg Senna and Davison plus there may be ex-drivers working for the Italian and German branch of Sky - or they could always put Button in the car and wire him up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My only worry is that if you let someone "youthful" like Red Bull take over the promotion of the sport that they'd take it too far in the other direction, as most modern media companies have this patronising view that you need to keep the ADHD-affected teens from being bored by shovelling over-snazzy graphics & craaaaazyy tricks onto them.

It's like this ridiculous idea that teens won't watch something on a tv, or live through iplayer or something, it has to have it's own dedicated app or something like that. You don't see that with football. I mean does the fact that F1 didn't post mid-race on Twitter until this year really really stop people from watching the championship?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just watching the WEC on Motors TV
    PQ quality is not that bad, have they had an improvement in quality?
  • Options
    Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Just watching the WEC on Motors TV
    PQ quality is not that bad, have they had an improvement in quality?

I have heard a lot of moaning about the poor picture quality on Motors over the years, but a lot of the stuff I have seen has been better quality than the motorsport on ITV4 :blush:
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture quality not brilliant but also not unwatchable -- sadly though the series is not TV friendly just..well boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Picture quality not brilliant but also not unwatchable -- sadly though the series is not TV friendly just..well boring.
    Manufacturer dominance in the championship has ruined it IMO. Always gonna be an Audi, Toyota or a Porsche. LMP1 is too small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to James Allen, F1' s official website is going to be revamped for 2014, in a way that will “engage the younger audience, using all the social media tools Ecclestone refers to [in the Campaign Asia interview] and will have a level of personalisation and fan engagement which is way beyond what is there today”

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/11/does-bernie-ecclestone-mean-what-he-says-about-f1-not-needing-social-media-and-young-audiences/

As James says: "It Doesn’t help if the message from the CEO runs counter to the work actually going on behind the scenes!"

Personally I think any interview from Bernie should be prefaced with something like: "The views expressed in this article are the personal views of Mr. Ecclestone only and do not represent the views of Formula One Management as a whole" lol.
This discussion has been closed.