Options

Android 5.0 update

GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
Forum Member
Is anyone else eagerly checking their notifications to see if it's here yet? According to Android Geeks who regularly appear on my Google Now page the software update will be released today for Nexus devices. Does anyone have any other news?

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given so many Google apps (and third party) ones are already using the new design, I'm not quite as excited or bothered as I have been about OS updates in the past to be honest.

That said, I'll be hoping my Nexus 5, 7 (2012 and 2013) and then Moto G's and E get updated ASAP nevertheless.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Google rolls out the OTA over several days/weeks, the chances you will get the notification on the first day are quite slim anyway.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Given so many Google apps (and third party) ones are already using the new design, I'm not quite as excited or bothered as I have been about OS updates in the past to be honest.
    There's a lot more to Lollipop than just the new design, so if that's all you're expecting then I think you're in for a treat when it arrives.

With regard to the original question, there doesn't seem to be any evidence to suggest any OTAs have started rolling out yet to any device (other than maybe the N6s and N9s currently in circulation, which kind of already had it anyway). Lots and lots of articles, including some I think originating from Google, cited today as the day for Lollipop's official launch, so I'm surprised to have not heard a peep yet. (We were also supposed to be getting an Android Wear update today... still waiting...!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there will be lots of changes (I've already seen them and was tempted to do my N5 ages ago) but I'm just not as excited as I have been with earlier updates.

That doesn't mean I'm not still a bit excited!
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like first stages are in progress. http://www.androidpolice.com/

Could still be some time before the roll out gets under way properly. Remember, Google send out the OTA to only 1% at first and then so on.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just had a look on you tube to see what this new Android version is like, not sure if I like it or not. Too much white I think.

The problem is that even if yo don't update, it is not easy to get rid of the update nag.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocked!

My Galaxy S4 Mini (on EE) has just started downloading a 564MB update after a manual software update check. This despite the resolute refusal of EE to approve the Kit Kat update until now.

Have no idea what version this is going to now, but will report back when it has installed :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure it isn't going to be 5!!
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Pretty sure it isn't going to be 5!!

Correct - it was the (long delayed) 4.4.2 update from Jellybean :(
  • Options
    n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Android is getting progressively worse imo, you have root to make it usable, it's getting more and more restrictive.

No usb / mass mounting.
    No support for custom usb device drivers such as DVB-T.
    Broken bluetooth stack, you have root to use a wireless ps3 controller.
    No default file manager, search - how is Android even an OS without this I don't know.
    No DirectX support yet the exact same gpu's can run windows rt on other devices.
    No gpu profiles for resolution etc, again you need root and use GLTools and to run games that are gpu texture type bs exclusive / Adreno, Tegra, PowerVR specific.

Broken slimport / casting support, you have change the dpi with second screen because it doesn't alter the video feed to 16:9 for tvs.

720p 30fps casting also lags like a bitch compared to DLNA and Allcast 1080p 60fps h264 mp4 video file streaming which has no stutter at all, a real shame because the nexus 7, 4, 5 all have a vp8 hardware encoder to further reduce bitrates for wifi bandwidth, the nexus 5 also has vp9 which not alot of tvs support because Samsung etc chose to support h265 instead for Netflix 4K.

No flash support, why can't they add in their own flash to html5 converter engine
    https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/
    as a part of Android to convert in the background silently?
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    n_a1 wrote: »
    Android is getting progressively worse imo

Yes. I think I've put the key part in bold there.

What you're asking for is so esoteric that even hardcore Android users won't be interested.

DirectX!???? :D
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Android is getting progressively worse imo, you have root to make it usable, it's getting more and more restrictive.

No usb / mass mounting.
    No support for custom usb device drivers such as DVB-T.
    Broken bluetooth stack, you have root to use a wireless ps3 controller.
    No default file manager, search - how is Android even an OS without this I don't know.
    No DirectX support yet the exact same gpu's can run windows rt on other devices.
    No gpu profiles for resolution etc, again you need root and use GLTools and to run games that are gpu texture type bs exclusive / Adreno, Tegra, PowerVR specific.

Broken slimport / casting support, you have change the dpi with second screen because it doesn't alter the video feed to 16:9 for tvs.

720p 30fps casting also lags like a bitch compared to DLNA and Allcast 1080p 60fps h264 mp4 video file streaming which has no stutter at all, a real shame because the nexus 7, 4, 5 all have a vp8 hardware encoder to further reduce bitrates for wifi bandwidth, the nexus 5 also has vp9 which not alot of tvs support because Samsung etc chose to support h265 instead for Netflix 4K.

No flash support, why can't they add in their own flash to html5 converter engine
    https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/
    as a part of Android to convert in the background silently?

Some of those are valid points, but some of them seem weird things to be annoyed by.

DirectX? It is a Microsoft technology and only natively runs on MS OS's (Windows and XBox).

File Manager? There are tonnes of them out there so I don't see why it matters that Android doesn't come with one built in (although in reality a few OEM's do include a file manager on their devices). But granted you do need to root to make these actually useful.

DVB-T, really? Never had anyone even suggest they would want to use a digital TV tuner on an Android device, but doing a quick google it looks like it is something you can do so :confused:
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    nothing on my nexus 4 yet. A new update might kill it off entirely :)
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked!

My Galaxy S4 Mini (on EE) has just started downloading a 564MB update after a manual software update check. This despite the resolute refusal of EE to approve the Kit Kat update until now.

Have no idea what version this is going to now, but will report back when it has installed :-)

Has it bricked your phone? or its a 4.3 update and your crying lol
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I updated my S4 to 4.4.2 last night and its buggy as hell and has restarted a few times and the screen stops working might have to go back to custom rom.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unrooted stock Android 4.4.4 on my N4, and entirely usable (for me).

Maybe your requirements and expectations (as listed) are pretty unusual?
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    The real killer for me on android is the lack of flash, it means I cannot watch Virgin Anywhere :(
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    The real killer for me on android is the lack of flash, it means I cannot watch Virgin Anywhere :(

are you saying that the virgin anywhere app uses flash?
    if it does then the developers must be living in the 90s.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

is there an echo in here....
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I have only watched videos of so-called Beta versions on YouTube and I think, from what I've seen, I'll avoid it like the plague.
    The UI looks hideous to me with the wishy-washy colours and the even worse dialler. So many settings' pages are pale with indistinct lettering on them.
    No, I don't think I'll bother as, after all, once done, one cannot reverse it, presumably.
    The most stupid but minor irritation is why get rid of that perfectly sensible Home button and replace it with a circle? Absolute madness.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't you sideload it anymore? I haven't done it on any of my current devices (S5, tab pro 10.1 and Nexus 7 2013) as I haven't needed to but I did it on my note 3 a few months ago and it worked perfectly fine.

I've not had anything on my Nexus 7 2013 yet.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Virgin TV Anywhere app should work fine:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.tvanywhere&hl=en_GB

Are you trying to access it by using the website instead? If so, that won't work, you need the app.

The lack of Flash should only be a very minor problem now, as most services have either a mobile website or app which eliminates the need for Flash/Silverlight and other dying technologies.
  • Options
    n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Why couldn't they add DirectX support legally though when DirectX to OpenGL wrappers already exist for desktop os's, things like Swiftshader which software emulates DirectX7-9 and pixel shader 1-3.0

Also why doesn't the Youtube app have background / pip playback.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Wavejock: we've found a friend for you.