Options

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Comments

• Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick go of it on my Xbox One. Was impressed it's very fluid to play and looks great.

Combat looks a bit Batman style in that you tap Y to block an incoming attack, does it actually feel like batman at all, that would be a plus for me if its similar.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a little put off getting it for the Xbox One after reading WB hold back the XB1 review copies and there's only one out there now that I'm aware of, that kind of worried me and I cancelled my order, but thought what the hell and ordered it again lol.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Combat looks a bit Batman style in that you tap Y to block an incoming attack, does it actually feel like batman at all, that would be a plus for me if its similar.

It does feel like Arkham's combat :)

(but with exploding heads!)
  • Options
    davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Pre-ordered this earlier, despite my earlier worries about it's similarities with the Ass Creed/Far Cry mechanics. I'll worry about the overkill next month when aforementioned games are released.

Really looking forward to it, I'm a big fan of the movies and enjoyed the ps2 games based on them. Even enjoyed the turn based RPG style of third age. This looks on a whole other level though.

Creed mixed with Batman set in Middle Earth..what's not to like.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so much fun!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so much fun!!! :D

What the exploration like, do you have to play for ages before you can go every where?

Also is it like AC, climb a tower to see the area and then all the side quests / collectibles are visible and playable?
  • Options
    gadget_ukgadget_uk Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I like both the Elder Scrolls games, Oblivion and Skyrim and I have also played Assassins Creed 1 and 2.

Is this game similar? Do you think it would be worth buying, while I wait for Elder Scrolls Online to come out for Xbox One/PS4?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    What the exploration like, do you have to play for ages before you can go every where?

Also is it like AC, climb a tower to see the area and then all the side quests / collectibles are visible and playable?

IIRC, one of the reviews I read did say it had something similar to AC's viewpoints.
    gadget_uk wrote: »
    I like both the Elder Scrolls games, Oblivion and Skyrim and I have also played Assassins Creed 1 and 2.

Is this game similar? Do you think it would be worth buying, while I wait for Elder Scrolls Online to come out for Xbox One/PS4?

Thanks in advance.

It's more like Assassin's Creed than Oblivion or Skyrim, with Batman Arkham style combat.

Have you read any reviews?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/26/6254177/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review-lord-of-the-rings-ps4-xbox-one

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-26-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review/1900-6415884/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

I'm going to go for it, little disappointed there is no preload option on the X1, I thought all games were going to offer preloads ! Not to concerned mind, my internet is speedy enough to get me playing in a few hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go for it, little disappointed there is no preload option on the X1, I thought all games were going to offer preloads ! Not to concerned mind, my internet is speedy enough to get me playing in a few hours.

There *is* a preload option for it! :)

I think Major Nelson mentioned it around the same time that Forza Horizon 2 went up for pre-load, as they have the same release date so would have gone up for pre-load at the same time.

I pre-ordered and pre-loaded the digital download on Sunday. [waited until the reviews and until I'd played it at EGX]

http://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Middle-earth-Shadow-of-Mordor-Pre-order-Edition/135fe7db-d07b-4e42-a119-530dc9c360d3

You can do it via Xbox.com, SmartGlass, or the Xbox One itself.

I think they are still only doing digital pre-ordering & pre-loading for certain big releases, though, rather than *everything*.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah the battle system feels exactly like the Batman games.

I got it on Xbox One.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm really tempTed by this but the missus will kill me if I buy another game so soon. Fifa last week, Driveclub this week. KILLED.

Oh, what to do ......
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'm really tempTed by this but the missus will kill me if I buy another game so soon. Fifa last week, Driveclub this week. KILLED.

Oh, what to do ......

Buy digitally and pretend you've always had it... that's what I tend to do :blush::blush: The boyfriend already isn't happy with what I've bought this week (D3 for XBO, D3 reaper of souls collector's edition on PC (£20!!) for the WoW pets! and Smash Bros!), and with Beyond Earth at the end of the month and being tempted by Mordor, Evil Within and Alien... well... I'm going to be a deadman :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I can get it for €50 or less then I'll get it. That will probably mean getting it from the US store. Hmmm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

Oh, what to do ......
    brb wrote: »
    Buy digitally and pretend you've always had it... that's what I tend to do :blush::blush: The boyfriend already isn't happy with what I've bought this week (D3 for XBO, D3 reaper of souls collector's edition on PC (£20!!) for the WoW pets! and Smash Bros!), and with Beyond Earth at the end of the month and being tempted by Mordor, Evil Within and Alien... well... I'm going to be a deadman :(

What brb said and you have a Vita as well so its even easier to hide, ''I just been to go the toilet for several hours, if that PS4 makes any noise just ignore it'' :D
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sod him.....be more dog:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol guys.

I think I'll get it and pass it off as a ps+ freebie. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I played The Evil Within at EGX on Saturday, and found it old and boring. Just another survival horror in a haunted mansion, from what I played...

The only upcoming survival horror I have any interest in is Alien: Isolation.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I'm a few hours into this game now and i think it's incredible.

The fighting system is simple yet rewarding, and gets harder as the game progresses. Later in the game you will come across Orcs that use ranged attacks, can only be attacked from the rear and others that need to be stunned before blade meets flesh, fighting a mixture of these can be tough as nails. Iv'e often fought these huge mobs with a massive grin on my face as some of the 'finishers' are rather gruesome and you often cut of heads and limbs with a flurry of your sword.

I can't comment on the story so far as iv'e spent most of my entire time in the game hunting down Orc captains and chiefs and although the game isn't multiplayer you will often get missions to gain vengeance for someone on your friends list. A friend of mine also has the game so iv'e been slaying all the orcs that have killed him when they have popped up on my map.

This is a GOTY contender for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool :)

Which platform?
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Xbox one.

If anyone does get this on the x1 and is on my friends list try killing an Orc called 'Rug the Foul' for me. Damn Orc has killed me 4 times,and the last time he did it he snuck up on me while i was fighting another captain.

I can't seem to get near the little bugger.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Xbox one.

If anyone does get this on the x1 and is on my friends list try killing an Orc called 'Rug the Foul' for me. Damn Orc has killed me 4 times,and the last time he did it he snuck up on me while i was fighting another captain.

I can't seem to get near the little bugger.

It is on the way but it was going to take a back seat (pun) to Horizon 2 this weekend. But when I get on it (best Khan voice) "I will avenge you"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I see of this game the more it reminds me of the witcher 3 with the batman combat.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is on the way but it was going to take a back seat (pun) to Horizon 2 this weekend. But when I get on it (best Khan voice) "I will avenge you"

I shall leave you... As you left her... Marooned on a dead planet........ Buried alive...... Buried alive.......
  • Options
    ddigitalukddigitaluk Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    For those on the fence if to buy it on PC and worried about performance or if it will run, I made a little video showing what it runs like on my i3 and 750 Ti

http://youtu.be/ugRu9eHvKF4