Options

Hudl - Value? IPad Mini - Overpriced?

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
Seems a strange choice but I browse a lot on my phone and have decided to get a small tablet.

The Hudle looks good value with expandable memory and a quad core processor.

The iPad Mini is twice the price and works with all things Apple (wife, daughter etc!) It also seems a bit lighter in weight.

There is the old saying, buy cheap buy twice but I'm tempted by the Hudl.

Can the price difference (I'm prepared to pay it) be justified if i buy the Apple :confused:?

Comments

• Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iam also in the market for a tablet. I was going to go for the kindle fire HDX until reviews about the locked in OS put me off. Now I am looking at the mini 2. What's putting me off though is the reports about the screen not being as good as the Air or other top end tablets.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hudl is excellent and a bargain at £119. Great quality screen, good sound and built like a tank (heavier than you'd expect given its size but not unmanageably so). No point paying a fortune to Apple unnecessarily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hudl is just too small like the Nexus 7.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Iam also in the market for a tablet. I was going to go for the kindle fire HDX until reviews about the locked in OS put me off. Now I am looking at the mini 2. What's putting me off though is the reports about the screen not being as good as the Air or other top end tablets.

If you look at the negatives, you will never buy anything!

The Kindle Fire is no more 'locked in' than the iPad. The screen on the mini retina isn't quite as colour perfect as the Air, which in turn isn't as good as the iPad 4.

Decide what's important to you; price, size, weight, quality etc and make a decision based in those positive points, not negatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the Air has a worse screen than IPad 4?
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

7 inch screen of the Hudl vs the 7.9 of the iPad Mini? Yeah... huge difference, there...
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    7 inch screen of the Hudl vs the 7.9 of the iPad Mini? Yeah... huge difference, there...

Actually it can - and the iPad Mini has a different screen format.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Hudl is great value but I've rarely seen one working in store - they always seem to be powered on but in a crashed/frozen state. iPads on the other hand tend to keep going, provided they have power (Asda, I'm looking at you!)...
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    There is the old saying, buy cheap buy twice but I'm tempted by the Hudl.

I've just brought a Hudl, and while it's not a disaster, I wish I'd saved up for a bit longer and brought the Nexus 7.

Screen is ok, but a bit dull, and it isn't as responsive as it could be.

The Hudl isn't the end of the world, but if I was you I'd spend the extra on the nexus
  • Options
    kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I bought a Hudle 2 weeks ago because it is lighter than my I Pad for travelling, now, I am the worst technophobe but I managed to get my Ipad working with no problems but the Hudle?? I had to swallow my pride and nip to Tesco today and ask if they could get me started! I have to say that the staff were great although they told me they had never had training for the Hudle, they managed to actually get me going.....until I got home.
    I cannot seem to get onto the internet for some reason and now i'm waiting for a geeky friend to come round and put me right.

Having said all that, if you can get started with it, the weight and the look of it is great. I just need more, like the internet. lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats 30% extra screen space...
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats 30% extra screen space but 40% lower resolution...

Quote appended.

:eek:
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had/used quite a few tablets,Hudl,Nexus,Asus etc but I read a few reviews and went for this,this time,
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/advent-vega-tegra-note-7-tablet-16-gb-21812495-pdt.html

This tablet is bloody good,very fast,stylus inc,and has a magnetic back,really surprised it seems to be overlooked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 54 wrote: »
    Ive had/used quite a few tablets,Hudl,Nexus,Asus etc but I read a few reviews and went for this,this time,
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/advent-vega-tegra-note-7-tablet-16-gb-21812495-pdt.html

This tablet is bloody good,very fast,stylus inc,and has a magnetic back,really surprised it seems to be overlooked.

It's been discussed a few times on here
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the Air has a worse screen than IPad 4?

The colour reproduction is slightly worse on the Air compared to the iPad 4.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    The iPad Mini is twice the price and works with all things Apple (wife, daughter etc!) It also seems a bit lighter in weight.

Your wife and daughter are Apple products? :p I am considering a small(er) tablet myself, but 7'' is too small for me. I have a 6'' phone and it would not be that much of a difference. 8'' more likely.
  • Options
    Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been discussed a few times on here

And its gone up 10 quid since I posted last night!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 54 wrote: »
    And its gone up 10 quid since I posted last night!!

Blimey, so it has!! I missed out on it when it was £99... we'd best stop talking about it, forget it even exists...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I must be really lucky. I've got a hudl and it just works. I have the screen brightness set to about 30% most of the time and just turn it up if I need to in bright light. No problems connecting to wifi & gps seems fine once it's updated the almanac.

Ken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    I think the Hudl is great value but I've rarely seen one working in store - they always seem to be powered on but in a crashed/frozen state...
    That's because the demo software installed on those is buggy - the retail units are (generally) fine.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hudl is an awesome piece of kit, regardless of it's price. I reviewed it here, and since that review its been filled with apps, movies and music and it is still perfectly responsive in every way. As I said, better than my old Nexus 7, and a real powerhouse regardless of the price.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But a lot better than the browsing on a phone which is what the OP was saying.

Look, I've got an IPad and my other half has a Kindle Fire HD. Worlds apart pricewise but for what she's uses a tablet for, it's spot on. I'm sure the Hudl falls into the same category.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hudl for holidays(+GPS for maps) £120.
    iPad Mini for holidays(+GPS for maps) £350 (+ £40 to connect it to a TV to play videos etc)

Yet using those the same arguments, the iPad Mini is too big.
  • Options
    red_boots2red_boots2 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I purchased a Hudl just before Christmas when it was in the Clubcard boost so it cost £60. I travel a lot for work so I wanted something to watch films/tv and general internet browsing/e-mailing. Decided to buy one as it was so cheap if it got broken it wasn't much of a big deal.

I've been massively impressed with it. It's fast, battery life is excellent and it charges very quickly. The screen, picture and sound quality are all great to the extent it's pretty much replaced my digital radio at home

For me the main downside to it is that it isn't compatible with Sky Go, but that's the case with the bulk of Android Tablets bar the 'bigger brands'

I think the comments about the screen size being too small is a fair one, I find this sometimes when browsing, but I'd rather a smallish tablet which fits in my coat pocket and doesn't take up much space in my hand luggage. I have big hands and fat fingers so bought a 99p stylus from E-bay and it works perfectly

My previous tablet was a 1st Gen iPad which I still use, but not as much. The larger screen is nice, but I prefer Android and I like the fact the Hudl takes an SD card

Hope that helps