The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like Bonnie was right about it being bad luck them talking before the wedding :p
  • wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    DS interview with Carlyss now up

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s19/holby-city/scoop/a561764/holby-city-carlyss-peer-on-shock-bonnie-wallis-exit-future-plans.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter#~oAdscmyIwDdqhz

and she's also now on Twitter. And I can't help thinking the timing of her joining the Twitter-verse might have something to do with the fact that she knew she'd be leaving the show tonight, and wouldn't need to worry about the abuse she might get for being the spanner in the Jac-Jonny works!!!
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    NickJordan wrote: »
    Oh god I am still laughing.

I'm not pleased with where this is going to take us plot wise, that Bonnie will now be elevated to sainthood in Jonny's mind (and others I suspect) and that Carlyss Peer has gone as I liked her acting work and think Bonnie could have been a good character if involved in a different plot. But...the almost Tom and Jerry way she got hit by the truck did make me laugh I must admit.

It's an example of juice and spice I think though as the episode really wasn't very good or interesting and having a shock twist in the last 5 minutes isn't really all it takes.

Why did none of Bonnie's family seem to care that she'd been splatted? She had brothers there didn't she (Joel was one of them and Mo mentioned them being an Usher down as he hadn't arrived) - not one of them went to help her? Everybody except Jonny looked singuarly unconcerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I just said the same on Twitter, she's fantastic

Agreed!

I think she's fantastic, I know some people feel the story with Guy and the story of her mothers death is dragging on but I honestly think this is the most realistic display of grief I've seen in a soap for a long time. It is usually brushed under the carpet with the odd mention after a week or so. This storyline shows the struggle perfectly, there isn't anything quite like loosing you Mother.

Excellent episode, although I'm still struggling to see the point of Colette! Oh and I actually gasped out loud when Bonnie bit the dust!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Presumably if Jac had said that she loves him then he wouldn't have even turned up to the wedding... So I find it hard to feel sympathy for Jonny given how he seemed to just be settling for Bonnie because Jac wouldn't say what he wanted to hear.

I thought he explained it quite well, Jac couldn't say it or saying it caused her a to have a 'funny turn' (my words).
    Jac's an emotional mess and a right PITA, that's why Bonnie is/was his future.

It wouldn't have mattered if she had said it, he's have said a similar thing to what he did say, about He and Bonnie not been afraid to say it, why has it taken her right to the last minute to say it.
    I think he said something to her last week about showing some emotion.
    That's my reading of it, Jac's timeslot had gone and he'd realised what a PITA she'd be to deal with for years.
    Lots of blokes like a 'nutty' woman, but the novelty wears off after a while and you're glad to get rid and have a quiet life.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LooCY91 wrote: »
    Agreed!

I think she's fantastic, I know some people feel the story with Guy and the story of her mothers death is dragging on but I honestly think this is the most realistic display of grief I've seen in a soap for a long time. It is usually brushed under the carpet with the odd mention after a week or so. This storyline shows the struggle perfectly, there isn't anything quite like loosing you Mother.

Excellent episode, although I'm still struggling to see the point of Colette! Oh and I actually gasped out loud when Bonnie bit the dust!

For a split second I thought Guy was gonna run Bonnie over for some reason. But yes again I agree the storyline just repeats every week but poor Zosia, and I liked Colette this week.
  • SlaterSlater Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt see that coming :eek:

Neither did Bonnie:p
    Forum Member
    Nosaer wrote: »
    Jonny is just horrible. Why was he forcing jac to say I love you? She has said it before and he still left her. I absolutely hate this guy and wish he too would come to a sticky end.

I know. He's delaying getting to his wedding even more - practically forcing her to say she loves him without any support or encouragement from him and for what? Was he going to call off the wedding? Didn't seem like it - seemed he was determined to go ahead with that (unlike 2 weeks ago when he was def having doubts). So I can only think it was to humiliate her once again - nice guy. If he finds it so easy to say that he loves people, why dudn't he say it to her last March when she did profess her love to him without paralysis.

And Jac wass right about him leaving. Either that means he'll be letting Emma down by being something of an absentee father or he was intimating about custody - which I assume is what she meant when she said "I'll fight you".
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange looking back now, just over an hour ago; but at the time I didn't actually realise that Bonnie had been knocked over. I just thought why is her wedding dress lying there? Then, with the reaction from Jonny, I then realised that she had been knocked down.
    Forum Member
    And, given what happens next week, do have to ask why people on Holby (particularly health professionals who really should know better) don't take more than a few days compassionate leave??????
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he explained it quite well, Jac couldn't say it or saying it caused her a to have a 'funny turn' (my words).

It wouldn't have mattered if she had said it, he's have said a similar thing to what he did say, about He and Bonnie not been afraid to say it, why has it taken her right to the last minute to say it.
    That's my reading of it, Jac's timeslot had gone and he'd realised what a PITA she'd be to deal with for years.
    Lots of blokes like a 'nutty' woman, but the novelty wears off after a while and you're glad to get rid and have a quiet life.

In which case him trying to force her to say it was just a nasty way for him to humiliate her... Which still makes me feel little to no sympathy for him given the eventual outcome.
    Forum Member
    For a split second I thought Guy was gonna run Bonnie over for some reason. But yes again I agree the storyline just repeats every week but poor Zosia, and I liked Colette this week.

I actually thought Louise was ok tonight too, did seem to be a bit more animated than normal (or else I'm just getting used to her).
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LooCY91 wrote: »
    Agreed!

I like Colette but she'd be better as just a regular nurse, not as a Director of Nursing, of which we've actually seen very little of that job role actually play out. Tonight I found myself thinking she was largely incompassionate with Zosia. In fact it was nonexistent.
    Forum Member

I agree that is where he was coming from but that's why I think he was being rather cruel in trying to get the 'emotional mess' to open up to him when he was going to reject her no matter what she said.

Also, he does keep forgetting that she did say it over a year ago.

The thing is, if you really love someone, you try and help not humiliate them and encourage rather than chastise them for theirinsecurities. Which suggests to me he really doesn't love her and orobably never did. He certainly doesn't understand her.
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    In which case him trying to force her to say it was just a nasty way for him to humiliate her... Which still makes me feel little to no sympathy for him given the eventual outcome.

Just said exactly the same thing. In a similar situation, when Jac wanted to talk to Joseph hoping he'd leave Faye for her, Joseph prefaced the chat by saying they shouldn't talk about it, talk about why he didn't think it would work between them as he didn't want to hurt her. He didn't want her to go through the hurt and humiliation of declaring her feelings for him to say no.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why Johnny is always indispensable in theatre with Jac. How can a nurse be the right hand man of a top surgeon in theatre?? It makes a mockery of all those years that surgeons have to train. Surely it would have been better for his character to be written as a surgeon.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    I actually thought Louise was ok tonight too, did seem to be a bit more animated than normal (or else I'm just getting used to her).

I liked Colette at first but she became irritating
  • GlanbraintGlanbraint Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for Clover's review!!!!!! :D
  • quark14quark14 Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The tarot card woman saw Bonnie's death not her own :O
    Forum Member
    By the way, re the debate of a couple of days ago as to how the writers want us to perceive storylines and characters, I think this episode and press does finally confirm that we were meant to like Bonnie. We are meant to be upset that her and Jonny's love and her life) has been ended so tragically.
    Forum Member
    quark14 wrote: »
    The tarot card woman saw Bonnie's death not her own :O

Oh yes, well remembered.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The slow motion was very well done tonight. Real heart in mouth moment.

Yes I actually said O my God & clapped my hand to my mouth !! definitely didn't see that coming - a real shock
    Pity it wasn't Jac she should go & work with that other freak in the hospital Lilly (in the ED) what is it with the female Dr's in that hospital most of them are charmless control freaks do like Mo though she's got a good heart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really wish I hadn't looked at DS when I got in, as I saw that Bonnie was leaving before sitting down to watch the episode.

I agree that the woman who plays Zosia is excellent - if only the character were written better. The teenage tantrum stuff by the big fake fibreglass grave was a particularly low point.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    By the way, re the debate of a couple of days ago as to how the writers want us to perceive storylines and characters, I think this episode and press does finally confirm that we were meant to like Bonnie. We are meant to be upset that her and Jonny's love and her life) has been ended so tragically.
    Yes, which just confirms how bad the story arcs are at the moment without well developed characters to give them substance. It was very hard to believe the 'big love' of jonbon which came from nowhere (yes I know we were informed of their previous but I just didn't feel it). I hope someone can pull Holby back together soon, its a shame to see it falling apart like this.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm kinda glad I stuck around to see the end (or is it the end?) of this awful storyline

For me this is the worst possible outcome for it. I can't see how Johnny can blame Jac, my reasons -

1, he went into work on his day off, why?

2, he chose to do the operation. He could have left remember but didn't.

3, he didn't have enough money with him for the taxi!

4, if Jac had said "I love you" he'd have ditched Bonnie. Remember it was only what 2 weeks ago he was almost begging Jac to take him back. He's not so innocent, he made his choice too late!

Bonnie shouldn't have just walked out without looking anyway the dozy cow. She was clearly quite desperate to have him, the longing for him at college, it reeks of it. She knew full well what she was getting herself into, did she really think her big wedding would go by smoothly?

Special mention to Zosia and Serena tonight both were very good, love Serena with Ric gone she's the only thing good in AAU. Glad to see more depth to Zosia.

I defo am now I think going to lay off Holby, I can't deal with Johnny moping around blaming Jac and being a total tool for weeks on end.
This discussion has been closed.