Alison' "I looked good in that"

Comments

• Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason some people are shocked when a fat person has self confidence is because they have so little themselves. It just doesnt compute that someone with obvious body imperfection could actually like themself. Its sad really.
  • MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is reassuring to see that this thread contains a few voices of reason to counter the faux 'concern' for Alison and about the impact she, as a morbidly obese fun loving black woman, will have on the pie eating yoof of today

Thank you all
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MayD wrote: »
    It is reassuring to see that this thread contains a few voices of reason to counter the faux 'concern' for Alison and about the impact she, as a morbidly obese fun loving black woman, will have on the pie eating yoof of today

Thank you all

So differences of opinion as to who is a role model and who isnt is now suddenly faux concern ?
    I dont see Alison as a role model for me or anyone , nothing to do with her size or weight at all .I just dont see Alison and being anything special to deserve a role as a role model
    I see too many brave kids and parents of very sick kids who beat the odds to get on with life with severe illness and or disabilities . And siblings who care for them and other people who give their all raising funds for charity etc . So that maybe colours my perception as to who I would like my kids to aspire to be like .

I am at a bit of a loss if I am honest as to what Alison has done that would tempt me to hold her up as a role model to my kids . ? :confused:
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it pretty clearly is something else. Faux concern that body shames someone for existing and not being apologetic about the fact, claiming she's a bad role model for kids, telling her how dare she feel she looked good in a dress when she looks like that, etc isn't ~concern.

It's her body, her health. No one else's. She doesn't have to apologise for existing out with the acceptable parameters that people have construed, or carry a public health warning about 'don't be me, kids' because people are uncomfortable seeing a fat woman smiling, laughing and dancing on TV.

The only role model she has to be is that to her own child and as we saw, she's a good one.

I'm not even an Alison fan either - I just find threads like this pretty disgusting.

very well put and i totally agree

I think the general masses need something to 'have a go at' some of the things printed in the press said on tv or online would cause an outcry if it was directed at the gay or black population but seems anything goes when it comes to people who are overweight
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No celeb ever does anything to deserve being a role model, which is what many of us have been saying when people have said Alison shouldn't be happy, or should've spent her speech apologising for her size, or telling people how they need to get healthy so as not to be like her.

The role model jibe was just the excuse people were using to have a go at her. 'Won't someone think of the children!'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    So differences of opinion as to who is a role model and who isnt is now suddenly faux concern ?
    I dont see Alison as a role model for me or anyone , nothing to do with her size or weight at all .I just dont see Alison and being anything special to deserve a role as a role model
    I see too many brave kids and parents of very sick kids who beat the odds to get on with life with severe illness and or disabilities . And siblings who care for them and other people who give their all raising funds for charity etc . So that maybe colours my perception as to who I would like my kids to aspire to be like .

I am at a bit of a loss if I am honest as to what Alison has done that would tempt me to hold her up as a role model to my kids . ? :confused:

I'm personally much less concerned with lauding Alison and her MO than I am about taking issue with the people finding fault for finding fault's sake. If that makes sense.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hilary2329 wrote: »
    For a young woman she is a really bad roll model IMO.

As in roley poley? :D
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No celeb ever does anything to deserve being a role model, which is what many of us have been saying when people have said Alison shouldn't be happy, or should've spent her speech apologising for her size, or telling people how they need to get healthy so as not to be like her.

The role model jibe was just the excuse people were using to have a go at her. 'Won't someone think of the children!'

You clearly don't understand what a role model is but as Len would say, never mind it can't be helped.

I personally wish Alison well and I hope she gets in shape and loses all those pounds that are damaging her health. :)
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it pretty clearly is something else. Faux concern that body shames someone for existing and not being apologetic about the fact, claiming she's a bad role model for kids, telling her how dare she feel she looked good in a dress when she looks like that, etc isn't ~concern.

It's her body, her health. No one else's. She doesn't have to apologise for existing out with the acceptable parameters that people have construed, or carry a public health warning about 'don't be me, kids' because people are uncomfortable seeing a fat woman smiling, laughing and dancing on TV.

The only role model she has to be is that to her own child and as we saw, she's a good one.

I'm not even an Alison fan either - I just find threads like this pretty disgusting.

You're still doing it! You're interpreting what you think other people believe BIB. As for you finding this thread disgusting, I'd question your motives for posting on it and making assumptions about what people believe just so you can have a go. Pot kettle.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand what a role model is but as Len would say, never mind it can't be helped.

By your own definition (which reads as bad pop-psychology that might as well have come straight from dictionary.com to me but w'ever) she's not a role model :
    A role model is defined as a person regarded by others, especially younger people, as a good example to follow

Just because she's on the telly, it doesn't mean she's automatically regarded as any sort of example to follow. Who's sat there telling their kids "be like Alison Hammond kids and one day you can ask Demi Lovato inane questions on daytime tv!"? I can just about stretch to the utility of that definition of role model being used for footballers or pop singers or any specific definable role with teachable emulatable aspects that legions of people might want to aspire to (although even then it's almost always just used as an excuse for prurience and moral high-handedness) but Alison Hammond? Nope. Reaching. What's the role?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're still doing it! You're interpreting what you think other people believe BIB. As for you finding this thread disgusting, I'd question your motives for posting on it and making assumptions about what people believe just so you can have a go. Pot kettle.

Can we discuss the colour of the kettle? :D
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

NO celeb has ever done anything to deserve being a role model

I would argue Stephen Hawkins is a celeb and deserves to be a role model, I also have concerns over his health and they are not faux. I happen to think the world would be a poorer place when he does finally succumb to his disease.

Or Malala even before she was shot, had celebrity status, I would be proud if I had daughters if they chose her as a role model.

There are people who have achieved celebrity status through doing things worthy of being a role model as above.

But equally some celebs, such as Michael Fox who through adversity have proved themselves worthy of being a role model. He has shown courage and tenacity in the face of a cruel disease.,

I have concentrated on health issues here, but other celebs such as George Clooney with others and the " not on my watch " campaign with their own wealth pay. for a permanent spy satellite above Darfur to help prevent and deter genocide.

People who are celebs I would argue have an obligation to NOT do things that will adversely influence people who do regard them as role models, for example for all those young girls who adored and only wanted to be Miley Cirus, that's not gone so well for the last few years. Yes she is young and I cannot imagine the pressure celebrity at such a young age brings, but I can see quite a few parent daughter conversations about appropriate behaviour have had to be had around the world.

So yes Allison could be a role model for some as she has shown the confidence to dance and go out there when obese and excercise not a bad role model in many ways, but concerns over her health are not faux. Obesity is a complex issue and she IS morbidly obese.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, when Stephen Hawking and Malala are cited in a thread involving a celeb from SCD that is about bashing someone for their weight, I think that's time for me to concede defeat. I think it's pretty clear that most of the people you cited aren't just celebrities - they became famous for changing the world, not sitting down having an interview with someone twice a week. I'll take the blame and say that I stupidly assumed most people would realise that when I said celev, I meant people like actors, singers, tv personalities. Not award winning scientists, peace makers, activists and/or presidents/royalty.

Anyway, I'm done - no one will change opinions on this anyway. Enjoy. Be ~concerned about poor Alison or the nation's children who have to see her, whatever. Just try and be nice about it.
  • matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bacon and HP sauce? :D
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    By your own definition (which reads as bad pop-psychology that might as well have come straight from dictionary.com to me but w'ever) she's not a role model :

Just because she's on the telly, it doesn't mean she's automatically regarded as any sort of example to follow. Who's sat there telling their kids "be like Alison Hammond kids and one day you can ask Demi Lovato inane questions on daytime tv!"? I can just about stretch to the utility of that definition of role model being used for footballers or pop singers or any specific definable role with teachable emulatable aspects that legions of people might want to aspire to (although even then it's almost always just used as an excuse for prurience and moral high-handedness) but Alison Hammond? Nope. Reaching. What's the role?

I assume from your interest, that you have some knowledge of the behavioural sciences. You will know, I am sure, that there are many theories put forward regarding role models, including what makes someone a role model, how role models affect behaviour and how TV affects attitudes and behaviour etc. I don't believe anyone disputes that TV and the media in general, can exert a considerable influence on behaviour.

You will also know that role models come in all guises. A small child will see their parents as a role model with Freud's theories about identifying with the same sex parent still being influential. That, despite the fact that Freud has been criticised extensively for his methodology. Children may see a teacher as a role model, or an older pupil at school. Role models can be very subjective, but yes I agree, highly paid footballers and successful pop stars are generally agreed upon as being role models, not always positive unfortunately.

The fact that some on here started a discussion about Alison being a poor role model, does in fact make her a role model, at least for some people. How many people see her as a role model we can only guess at but the fact remains that theorists are agreed that television, particularly reality television, does affect attitudes and behaviour.

As you will know role models just happen for people. There's no selection process and no choice for the person. Anyone can be a role model for anyone else, but people who appear in reality shows on prime time TV are definitely in the running.

So yes Alison is a role model for some. Unfortunately she is morbidly obese, let us not forget that!

I wish her well and I sincerely hope that she manages to shed some pounds in the very near future.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Oh leave Alison alone!

She's perfectly aware of her size and what a lot of people think about it and she just lets them get on with their lives while she gets on with hers!

We have seen her try to lose weight on things like the Celebrity Fit Club but found it nigh on impossible to do so - so she clearly accepts her size as something she is prepared to live with! Through her participation in SCD, she has finally found a form of exercise she enjoys, and now she's out has signed up for classes at her local dance school to continue the fitness/ weight loss regime she has started since joining the show.

Her sheer joy at being in the show, her delight in her partnership with Aljaz, and her bubbly personality have I am sure won her many fans - and i for one think the show will be less enjoyable without her!

(PS I agree with her that she looked good in her Charleston outfit!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason why Alison's weight is such an affront to so many people, whether expressed through rude comments about her appearance or "concern" for her health, is because, unlike Lisa Riley, she has never expressed any desire to use the show as a means of losing weight, didn't have any weight loss narrative and didn't visibly lose any weight or mention it as a benefit of doing the show.

I don't see any problem with this. She might be happy with the size she is and if she hasn't experienced any health problems because of her weight then who cares what size she is? If she does want to lose weight then good luck to her and I hope that being on the show and embracing an activity that's both fun and healthy helps her to achieve that goal. Either way, it's none of our business. Her body and her health is a personsal and not a public or political issue whether she's on the telly or not and she does not have any responsibility for the health of others.

I do think, however, that it was a positive thing for her to encourage people of all sizes to try dancing. Many overweight/obese people don't want to be seen exercising in public because they feel ashamed or self concious and fear the ridicule of others. Seeing Alison putting herself out there, being confident and not caring what others think of her (which is just as well, when you look at this forum) might encourage others to do the same.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    She is a fatty. If she doesn't eat less, she will stay a fatty. That's up to her. I don't feel concern for her, or sorry for her, or that she is a role model. I'm not angry at her. I don't like her more or less because she is a fatty. It's just the way it is. She should be left alone to live her life.
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    She is a fatty. If she doesn't eat less, she will stay a fatty. That's up to her. I don't feel concern for her, or sorry for her, or that she is a role model. I'm not angry at her. I don't like her more or less because she is a fatty. It's just the way it is. She should be left alone to live her life.

Three lines that say it all after 4 pages of sometimes intrusive debate about a human being. Probably just me but I find it easier to read people taking the mick than earnest well intentioned commentary about morbid obesity.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I had kids. I'd rather they looked up to a woman happy in her own skin with self esteem and confidence who happened to be over weight than some stick insect constantly bleating about her body issues whilst getting her kit off for various magazines and using her looks to forge a career.
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, when Stephen Hawking and Malala are cited in a thread involving a celeb from SCD that is about bashing someone for their weight, I think that's time for me to concede defeat. I think it's pretty clear that most of the people you cited aren't just celebrities - they became famous for changing the world, not sitting down having an interview with someone twice a week. I'll take the blame and say that I stupidly assumed most people would realise that when I said celev, I meant people like actors, singers, tv personalities. Not award winning scientists, peace makers, activists and/or presidents/royalty.

Anyway, I'm done - no one will change opinions on this anyway. Enjoy. Be ~concerned about poor Alison or the nation's children who have to see her, whatever. Just try and be nice about it.

I don't know what your point is any more

You sad no celeb I gave you celebs , including actors first then role models secondary

I am not aware I have not been nice and yes I remain concerned about Allisons health due to her weight issues.

You have me well and truly confused
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am at a bit of a loss if I am honest as to what Alison has done that would tempt me to hold her up as a role model to my kids .
    ? :confused:

Ducky, this is my favourite thread in this post and for what it's worth I couldn't agree more. ;-) Well said YOU! Round of applause.xx
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ducky, this is my favourite thread in this post and for what it's worth I couldn't agree more. ;-) Well said YOU! Round of applause.xx

Just my way of seeing things , role models for me are real people who really make a difference x
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my way of seeing things , role models for me are real people who really make a difference x

Indeed.;-)xx
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    girlcrisis wrote: »
    I think the reason why Alison's weight is such an affront to so many people, whether expressed through rude comments about her appearance or "concern" for her health, is because, unlike Lisa Riley, she has never expressed any desire to use the show as a means of losing weight, didn't have any weight loss narrative and didn't visibly lose any weight or mention it as a benefit of doing the show.

I don't see any problem with this. She might be happy with the size she is and if she hasn't experienced any health problems because of her weight then who cares what size she is? If she does want to lose weight then good luck to her and I hope that being on the show and embracing an activity that's both fun and healthy helps her to achieve that goal. Either way, it's none of our business. Her body and her health is a personsal and not a public or political issue whether she's on the telly or not and she does not have any responsibility for the health of others.

I do think, however, that it was a positive thing for her to encourage people of all sizes to try dancing. Many overweight/obese people don't want to be seen exercising in public because they feel ashamed or self concious and fear the ridicule of others. Seeing Alison putting herself out there, being confident and not caring what others think of her (which is just as well, when you look at this forum) might encourage others to do the same.

Doesn't it not at least suggest that she couldn't have been training all that hard?

Re "it's none of our business", we have a perfect right to comment on a contestant in a tv show, including comments on their body and health. So if it is "none of our business", that's irrelevant. We can comment anyway.