Tube Drivers Payrise

Comments

• kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio-jo wrote: »
    But they don't control the train - most lines are automated. The driver is there simply because safety laws demand it in case the 'autopilot' needs to be over-ridden or the train has to make an emergency halt.

This pay rise has nothing to with living in a free market economy - the RMT and Bob Crow are scum who enjoy holding my city to ransom several times a year out of pure GREED.
    Yes it does. That's why footballers also get fantastic amounts of money - far more than you'll ever get if you were a nurse or care worker.
    Envy is as unpleasant as greed. Personally I think the RMT and Bob Crow are brilliant - unions exist to look after its workers.
  • qetu1357qetu1357 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason that tube drivers will get £50k is that it isn't a true free market.

The union control the market.

Suggest TFL should do a Wapping. Train up drivers to do the job on what the wage should be - £25k to £30k - and then force the current tube drivers to strike.

What these people on £50k don't care about is that the fares are high to pay their wages. So some poor sod on minimum wage is paying their greedy wage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was something earlier in the thread about "Holding the country to ransom again".

Was there a strike recently and I missed it? :confused:
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    £18k should be more like it.

This is not a liveable wage for London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    There was something earlier in the thread about "Holding the country to ransom again".

Was there a strike recently and I missed it? :confused:
    No. The envious sheeple are following the Tory line as usual..."I'm being paid crap so everyone else should too". Pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    The only reason that tube drivers will get £50k is that it isn't a true free market.

The union control the market.

THANK YOU!

RMT give unions a bad name. They are essentially blackmailing TfL into paying their members frankly obscene amounts of money.

And I am not envious; I earn more than a tube driver and I don't have to spend 8 hours below ground in order to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THANK YOU!

RMT give unions a bad name. They are essentially blackmailing TfL into paying their members frankly obscene amounts of money.

And I am not envious; I earn more than a tube driver and I don't have to spend 8 hours below ground in order to do so.

So its okay for you to earn a good wage? What do you do for a living that is so deserving of a decent salary?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone
    I'm new to the forum and I'm a bus/coach and train driver. If there's any questions you want to ask about those jobs I'm more than happy to answer.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    ^^^ I had an odd experience on the tube recently. I sat with my son in the front carriage just by the drivers door. After a few stops there was some sudden loud banging on the drivers door, almost as if someone was kicking it in, it was rather shocking as it certainly wasn't expected. When we got to the next station the driver opened the door and apologised to me, he simply said "sorry it gets really stressful you know." At the time I thought well if it's that bad perhaps you shouldn't be doing the job. When we got to the next station he apologised again (I think he thought I was going to complain) then he asked my son if he wanted to see the drivers cabin (or whatever you call it). I was rather hesitant but my son of course quickly took up the offer. I kept the door open to see what was happening - the driver wasn't even sitting at his seat! Looking back it was just so incredibly bizarre...
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar Drivers got 45k a couple of years ago for a four day week . So It is "Market rate".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they don't control the train - most lines are automated. The driver is there simply because safety laws demand it in case the 'autopilot' needs to be over-ridden or the train has to make an emergency halt.

This pay rise has nothing to with living in a free market economy - the RMT and Bob Crow are scum who enjoy holding my city to ransom several times a year out of pure GREED.

No they are not. Only the central line and waterloo and city line have ATO.
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What 'bad name'? You don't seem to grasp that unions are there to represent their members' interests, not someone who doesn't have a clue what the tube driver's job involves.

This deal includes no-strike clauses and inflation-linked pay for the next five years. That makes it a good one for TfL, tube drivers and Londoners in Olympic year, I reckon.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it include the newspaper they read while speeding along.
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    No they are not. Only the central line and waterloo and city line have ATO.

Central, jubilee and Victoria lines have ATO. The Central line one often fails. The driverless DLR has passenger service agents on 35k.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    I kept the door open to see what was happening - the driver wasn't even sitting at his seat! Looking back it was just so incredibly bizarre...

That's very odd considering drivers must keep the "dead man's switch" pedal depressed at all times while the train is in motion, and it's located under the driver's seat...
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    Personally I think the RMT and Bob Crow are brilliant - unions exist to look after its workers.

Looking after is one thing. Completely taking the piss is another. Weren't these the same people who wanted 3 times normal pay to work on a bank holiday, plus a day off in lieu? Someone worked out that would be worth about £800 on that one day!

Helps explain why a single fare in Zone 1 is now £4...
  • Lennie59Lennie59 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them if they can get it.

It's not cheap to live in and around London.
    Forum Member
    That's very odd considering drivers must keep the "dead man's switch" pedal depressed at all times while the train is in motion, and it's located under the driver's seat...

Maybe the train was stationary. Tube trains don't have a dead mans pedal. It's built into the traction/brake controller handle.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish my job consisted of pressing 'stop' and 'start' for 50k! But they wouldn't have got it if TPTB truly couldn't afford it.
  • OnlyWayIsEpicsOnlyWayIsEpics Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lennie59 wrote: »
    Good luck to them if they can get it.

It's not cheap to live in and around London.

Can you not see how that undermines your argument (given the job they are doing?).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveb0789 wrote: »
    Central, jubilee and Victoria lines have ATO. The Central line one often fails. The driverless DLR has passenger service agents on 35k.

Your right. Regardless when there are 11 London Underground lines ATO on three of them is not a majority of the lines like the poster I was replying to said.
  • Lennie59Lennie59 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Can you not see how that undermines your argument (given the job they are doing?).

Not at all.

Why shouldn't they get it? It'll be taking home around £3200. The average price of a house in London is around £275000. That's around £1600 a month - half your wages!!! Leaves them £1600 a month to live on. That's nothing for London.
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Your right. Regardless when there are 11 London Underground lines ATO on three of them is not a majority of the lines like the poster I was replying to said.

I totally agree and I also dont think that drivers of ATO driven tube trains should get less. My comment about the driverless DLR was because people think they are driverless when in fact each train must have a member of staff on 35k.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Train drivers are overpaid, no doubt about it. but not massively so.

The problem is teachers, nurses and an awful lot of other people in many many professions are underpaid, while the fat cats at the top take nearly everything for themselves.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Ronald reagan had the right idea with the ATC in 1981 Sack them

there are 2.5 million unemployed I think we could find someone to do the job

its not rocket science lever forward go lever back stop