When will it be socially acceptable to denigrate FAT people?

12346»

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the OP (who is no longer with us at the time of writing) is an ex-obese person his- or herself. As a smoker the worst and most unreasonable criticism seems to come from ex-smokers deflecting their anger and regret in partaking in such a dangerous and socially unacceptable habit on those of us who still smoke.

Shouting at fat people and calling them names isn't going to change their minds about anything than what a **** you are. I'd say it was more for the boor's benefit than the fat person's.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP (who is no longer with us at the time of writing) is an ex-obese person his- or herself. As a smoker the worst and most unreasonable criticism seems to come from ex-smokers deflecting their anger and regret in partaking in such a dangerous and socially unacceptable habit on those of us who still smoke.

Shouting at fat people and calling them names isn't going to change their minds about anything than what a **** you are. I'd say it was more for the boor's benefit than the fat person's.

Yes, totally agree. Most ignoramuses (i) seem to attack others as a way of making themselves feel better (and superior) and possibly in an attempt to distract others from having a go at them.

I always remember at primary school, one boy, let's say he was somewhat chubby, who made a point of making nasty remarks about a girl who was slightly chubbier than him. (Even at that age, 9 - 10, people have this self protective instinct that says, 'if they're attacking someobody else, they're leaving me alone')

Sad really, whatever happened to live and let live? :(
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Yes, totally agree. Most ignoramuses (i) seem to attack others as a way of making themselves feel better (and superior) and possibly in an attempt to distract others from having a go at them.

I always remember at primary school, one boy, let's say he was somewhat chubby, who made a point of making nasty remarks about a girl who was slightly chubbier than him. (Even at that age, 9 - 10, people have this self protective instinct that says, 'if they're attacking someobody else, they're leaving me alone')

Sad really, whatever happened to live and let live? :(

No longer exists for some, it would appear that some people are just not happy unless they are feeling superior to someone else, for any reason
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loopzilla wrote: »
    Yes, I totally stand by what I say. 90% of overweight people I see have indications of medical problems, the other 10% have psychological issues to some degree.

So are these medical problems relatively new? Why did they not cause mass obesity in past generations?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    So are these medical problems relatively new? Why did they not cause mass obesity in past generations?

The medical issues aren't new, but the percentage of the population with these diseases is growing and it's not because of better diagnosis either (I'll explain that next). Modern life wrecks the human physiology. In the old days, if you were genetically disposed to certain illnesses you may have lived a longer life without symptoms because the food was generally organic and fresh. Now our food is pumped full of hormones and chemicals. We are surrounded by more an more base stations which is no good for us (look up the symptoms of microwave sickness, and then look up where your nearest base stations are). Additives in make-up, perfumes, shampoos, etc can wreak havoc on an immune system which not in balance. Considering the fact that I have to take vitamins transdermally because it's the most effective way of getting them to the bloodstream, just imagine where all those vile chemicals in toiletries are going! Straight to the bloodstream if the molecules are small enough (parabens!)

A lot of people can sail through life quite happily without being affected because of their physiology, but a good chunk of the population is unknowingly harming their bodies in ways that are extremely difficult to control. Seriously, I've tried to go all natural and paraben free, gluten free, organic and it's a pain in the 'arris even though my life does actually depend on it!

That is one reason why the condition is growing. Another reason is the diagnosis and treatment.

Diagnosis in the old days was symptom-based. So you would rock up to the docs with a frilly tongue and weight gain, he'd treat you. I'd go with cold hands and low blood pressure, he'd treat me too! Nowadays, they would look at our numbers. You would present your frilly tongue and weight gain, but your numbers would be healthy....you'd get sent away and told to sort yourself out. I'd turn up with my cold hands and low blood pressure, and my numbers would be in the "poorly" range so I'd get my tablets....thank you very much. Everyone's numbers are as individual as fingerprints, but the GMC doesn't account for this.

Treatment was much more effective too. For endocrine problems a lot of the medication was made from the glands of animals so you were given all the hormones you needed, maybe not in the right ratio, but at least you got them. These days, you get given ONE hormone as a replacement and are expected to create the rest yourself even though new research is finding out that it's physically impossible to do so because you need one hormone to help the other hormone create the third active hormone. So basically the replacement is just sitting in the body doing nothing.

Next question!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it already was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The medical issues aren't new, but the percentage of the population with these diseases is growing and it's not because of better diagnosis either (I'll explain that next). Modern life wrecks the human physiology. In the old days, if you were genetically disposed to certain illnesses you may have lived a longer life without symptoms because the food was generally organic and fresh. Now our food is pumped full of hormones and chemicals. We are surrounded by more an more base stations which is no good for us (look up the symptoms of microwave sickness, and then look up where your nearest base stations are). Additives in make-up, perfumes, shampoos, etc can wreak havoc on an immune system which not in balance. Considering the fact that I have to take vitamins transdermally because it's the most effective way of getting them to the bloodstream, just imagine where all those vile chemicals in toiletries are going! Straight to the bloodstream if the molecules are small enough (parabens!)

A lot of people can sail through life quite happily without being affected because of their physiology, but a good chunk of the population is unknowingly harming their bodies in ways that are extremely difficult to control. Seriously, I've tried to go all natural and paraben free, gluten free, organic and it's a pain in the 'arris even though my life does actually depend on it!

That is one reason why the condition is growing. Another reason is the diagnosis and treatment.

Diagnosis in the old days was symptom-based. So you would rock up to the docs with a frilly tongue and weight gain, he'd treat you. I'd go with cold hands and low blood pressure, he'd treat me too! Nowadays, they would look at our numbers. You would present your frilly tongue and weight gain, but your numbers would be healthy....you'd get sent away and told to sort yourself out. I'd turn up with my cold hands and low blood pressure, and my numbers would be in the "poorly" range so I'd get my tablets....thank you very much. Everyone's numbers are as individual as fingerprints, but the GMC doesn't account for this.

Treatment was much more effective too. For endocrine problems a lot of the medication was made from the glands of animals so you were given all the hormones you needed, maybe not in the right ratio, but at least you got them. These days, you get given ONE hormone as a replacement and are expected to create the rest yourself even though new research is finding out that it's physically impossible to do so because you need one hormone to help the other hormone create the third active hormone. So basically the replacement is just sitting in the body doing nothing.

Next question!;)

You're over-complicating things. Sure, the factors you have mentioned may contribute, and there are those that barely eat and exercise and still gain weight. But the fact is that our lifestyles are much more sedantry than they were 50 years ago, and our diets full of processed, fatty foods. It's really not that difficult to understand why so many people are fat.
    Forum Member
    You're over-complicating things. Sure, the factors you have mentioned may contribute, and there are those that barely eat and exercise and still gain weight. But the fact is that our lifestyles are much more sedantry than they were 50 years ago, and our diets full of processed, fatty foods. It's really not that difficult to understand why so many people are fat.

Yes, you can think that if it makes you feel better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you can think that if it makes you feel better.

Yes, me and most of the medical profession.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have any problem providing they dont take two seats up on the bus

Do they pay the fare twice, then... should do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The masses did not have access to much food.

Obesity has always been seen among those who do.

The normal human pattern when unlimited food is available seems to be that a high percentage of people will become obese. When Thomas Cook visited the Pacific Islands, for example, where food was plentiful, he was astonished to find that almost everyone was fat. Slimness in the face of unlimited food seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
    Forum Member
    Yes, me and most of the medical profession.

If I took the medical profession at their word, I'd be dead by now. Luckily, I can read, and I can take many opposing theories and statistics to eventually get to the truth. That has saved me. Because I've asked the right questions from my own research, we're now getting nearer to the cause of what's happening to me.

I'm not saying that doctors are useless, quite the opposite, just over-subscribed and inundated with rules and regulations set by the GMC who are hand in glove with the large pharma companies who are shoving their inadequate chalk pills down people's throats.

I have an excellent relationship with all of my doctors, we do discuss the upward trends in certain ailments in the local area and nationally. So, I would never say "me and most of the medical profession are in agreement" like you just did (even though you probably haven't spoken to most of the medical profession), but I would say "me and three of the medical profession have discussed certain things and that has helped form my opinion".

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. Those people who are normal will carry on treating everyone equally, and those people who are eejuts will carry on mouthing off about fat people.

And for that reason, Dragon's Den style, I'm out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The masses did not have access to much food.

Obesity has always been seen among those who do.

The normal human pattern when unlimited food is available seems to be that a high percentage of people will become obese. When Thomas Cook visited the Pacific Islands, for example, where food was plentiful, he was astonished to find that almost everyone was fat. Slimness in the face of unlimited food seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Good post. It's a very common misconception that obesity is a modern phenomenon and that people are naturally thin.

You can see it with pets too. Wild animals who don't have access to unlimited food don't have much body fat, pampered pets nearly all get overweight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read a rather depressing statistic. If you lose 20% of your body weight, the calories you burn decline by roughly 40%. No wonder dieters put it back on so fast when they take their eye off the ball.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I just read a rather depressing statistic. If you lose 20% of your body weight, the calories you burn decline by roughly 40%. No wonder dieters put it back on so fast when they take their eye off the ball.

I'm not sure I understand that. Could you explain please?

(I'm in panic mode):D
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    If I took the medical profession at their word, I'd be dead by now. Luckily, I can read, and I can take many opposing theories and statistics to eventually get to the truth. That has saved me. Because I've asked the right questions from my own research, we're now getting nearer to the cause of what's happening to me.

I'm not saying that doctors are useless, quite the opposite, just over-subscribed and inundated with rules and regulations set by the GMC who are hand in glove with the large pharma companies who are shoving their inadequate chalk pills down people's throats.

I have an excellent relationship with all of my doctors, we do discuss the upward trends in certain ailments in the local area and nationally. So, I would never say "me and most of the medical profession are in agreement" like you just did (even though you probably haven't spoken to most of the medical profession), but I would say "me and three of the medical profession have discussed certain things and that has helped form my opinion".

Anyway, this whole discussion is moot. Those people who are normal will carry on treating everyone equally, and those people who are eejuts will carry on mouthing off about fat people.

And for that reason, Dragon's Den style, I'm out!

BIB ^^^The thing that I'm most certain of in this whole thread.

What happens in some peoples lives that makes them so nasty? I guess in a way we should feel a bit sorry for them. There lives must be pretty poor if they take some sort of perverse pleasure in denigrating others.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand that. Could you explain please?

(I'm in panic mode):D

There was some technical stuff about hormone levels etc. But basically our bodies are programmed not to lose weight, because we evolved when food scarcety was much more likely than abundance. So if you start losing weight, your body has various defences to slow the process down. (The most obvious one is that people who are losing weight become less unconsciously active; ie they sit stiller, burning fewer calories, without realizing they are doing it; but there are other factors as well). So roughly speaking, by the time you have lost 20% of your body weight you will be burning 40% fewer calories for the amount of activity you are doing.

Hence the almost universal phenomenon of someone 'coming off a diet', but 'eating sensibly' and finding that they pile all the weight back on, even though they are still eating less than they did before.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    There was some technical stuff about hormone levels etc. But basically our bodies are programmed not to lose weight, because we evolved when food scarcety was much more likely than abundance. So if you start losing weight, your body has various defences to slow the process down. (The most obvious one is that people who are losing weight become less unconsciously active; ie they sit stiller, burning fewer calories, without realizing they are doing it; but there are other factors as well). So roughly speaking, by the time you have lost 20% of your body weight you will be burning 40% fewer calories for the amount of activity you are doing.

Hence the almost universal phenomenon of someone 'coming off a diet', but 'eating sensibly' and finding that they pile all the weight back on, even though they are still eating less than they did before.
    Also, evolution hasn't caught up with the quality of life thing either. When we lived in caves winter time would be when food was at it's lowest level. The body would pile on all the fat it could so you could survive the leaner times, and also be a bit warmer (think whales and their blubber). These days if we need food we pop to the shops, and if we're cold we turn the heating on (assuming you can afford it).

The reason evolution hasn't yet caught up is because of how evolution works. The ability to hoard fat was an advantage in bygone times, but as times have progressed it hasn't actually led to any detrimental effects (survival of the fittest) so the gene pool has allowed the "fatties" to continue to reproduce.

Add to that, in the past 70 years or so the amount of sugar added to foods for whatever reason has increased dramatically, you're ending up with food stuffs that have more calories than they would usually. Certain additives (and medications) can interrupt the hormone signal to the brain that says you've eaten enough. The hormone also has roughly a ten minute delay too for the body to realise you've eaten. You could have some food, eat it, and then think you need more because you're not full, but only manage a bit of it because by then the brain has caught up to what's going on. The hormone makes you feel ill if you continue eating or, in some cases, think about food. Have a decent meal and then go food shopping if you have issues with impulse buying snacks - it does usually mean you won't be tempted.

There's a battle between evolution vs advances in quality of life going on, and I doubt it will end any time soon.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where has the word denigrate come from recently? I saw an episode of an American show where they were telling a thick couple to stop denigrating. Like they would know what the word means.