Options

Strictly or Dancing on Ice - Which one do you prefer & why?

Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Strictly has finished for this season with the last series of Dancing On Ice underway. But which show do you prefer & why?

Which show do you prefer? 153 votes

Strtictly Come Dancing
79%
cjdoyle[Deleted User][Deleted User]CornchipsABCZYXVeriReal FanTinkerbellapopmusicmanCaroUK[Deleted User]cazzbarLazySusanCABINETolivejlubabigaltChristian Cagebobbla[Deleted User] 121 votes
Dancing On Ice
20%
welsh_studpinkfish*Sparkle*WickedPlansJustMomCombatHamsterhrh7Droodd0lphinsuperstar111WobblyManKatenutzs[Deleted User]sutieScotiaRoseSuperAPJDilly Daydreampothuthic[Deleted User][Deleted User] 32 votes

Comments

• Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Don't make me chooose!

Right, I have reasons why I like both but can't decide a favourite.

SCD:
    - Better Celeb/Pro relationships
    - Better judges
    - I enjoy the spin off show

DOI:
    - I like the fact they use real music tracks and not a band
    - More fun/lively/less serious
    - I enjoy the 'risk' element of the ice

:D
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    SCD (but with the reservation that it's marred by be not liking any of the last three winners) as I prefer the choreo and the better coverage of the pros and the partnerships.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    For me, DOI is just SCD methadone. SCD has a much better atmosphere, the set is smaller so it's more involving to watch, there's more of a cameraderie backstage between the couples, the pros don't have to play second fiddle to T&D and there's more of an opportunity for them to stand out and launch their own career. We see a wider (and better) range of choreography because more individuals are involved and can bring their best ideas. Because the choreography is done by the pros, when the pro line-up changes, the choreographic style changes too so the show doesn't get stale. Using different dance styles each week gives more structure to the routines and the audience goes in with an expectation of what the dance should look like. The judging on both shows is not great, but on SCD you get the impression that criticism isn't as personal and that there's a good vibe backstage. The celebs don't need to put themselves at as much risk of injury or accident than on DOI.

It's just... everything about SCD is better. There's the makings of a great show in DOI, but ITV always go for a certain production style that seems to remove all atmosphere. It all just seems a bit soulless and nasty - I feel like DOI chews them up and spits them out whereas even the worst celebs on SCD seem to get a kick out of taking part.
  • Options
    Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    Don't make me chooose!

SCD:
    - Better judges

DOI:

I agree with all your points ESPECIALLY the music! SCD music can be really bad sometimes.;-)
  • Options
    DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing On Ice
    Dancing on Ice because I enjoy watching both the professionals and the celebrities, whereas I have no interest in watching the Strictly professionals.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    Don't make me chooose!

SCD:
    - Better judges

DOI:

I agree with all your points ESPECIALLY the music! SCD music can be really bad sometimes.;-)

I actually prefer the real music on SCD!
    But the pro SCD reasons that Felicity are the dominating factor for me. I watch and enjoy DOI but never get as involved. Think I would prefer it if Torvil & Dean were not involved.
    Sacrilege I know!
  • Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Jethryk wrote: »
    But the pro SCD reasons that Felicity are the dominating factor for me. I watch and enjoy DOI but never get as involved. Think I would prefer it if Torvil & Dean were not involved.
    Sacrilege I know!

Yeah actually, I think I do prefer Strictly. The atmosphere in itself is just more inviting and makes you feel more involved.

That's my mind made up then :D
  • Options
    ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing On Ice
    It used to be DOI but then I got fed up of the constant ads and filler. So SCD was my favourite but I have this year found it soooo boring I only got through half the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Got to be SCD. I love the glitter and glamour of it all and you do get far more involved with the spin-off show. And I have a very soft spot for Craig!!!

But it could also be a time of year thing. Strictly is all about the glitz running up to Christmas where as at this time of year I like to get out and about a bit more so have to tape DOI and watch it later on.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    SCD it has an atmosphere where DOI is kinda cold and the presenters have no real humour along with the everlasting add breaks.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    SCD because it just doesn't feel as trashy, no adverts, not as bitchy (just look at Jorgie/Samia/Philip stuff), live music on SCD… there'd be more but cba.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    SCD because it isn't shit.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Sacrilege I know!

Same. I agree. I went to see the live DOI show the year Susanne was on it and the atmosphere was good but as good as SCD. Again the live music and singing makes a lot of difference. The adverts are a big turn off.

Also both SCD and DOI provide a relief from the day job.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Strictly by miles for so many reasons, one big one being it's on BBC so you don't get one performance squeezed between the adverts and another is the racket on DOI. I'd forgotten how bad it was. DOI is tacky like so many ITV shows.

I gave up watching DOI because it just wasn't worth the bother watching, but I like the All Stars idea because at least we'll see some decent performances. Oh and I want to see Ray skate again! :D
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    echad wrote: »
    For me, DOI is just SCD methadone. SCD has a much better atmosphere, the set is smaller so it's more involving to watch, there's more of a cameraderie backstage between the couples, the pros don't have to play second fiddle to T&D and there's more of an opportunity for them to stand out and launch their own career. We see a wider (and better) range of choreography because more individuals are involved and can bring their best ideas. Because the choreography is done by the pros, when the pro line-up changes, the choreographic style changes too so the show doesn't get stale. Using different dance styles each week gives more structure to the routines and the audience goes in with an expectation of what the dance should look like. The judging on both shows is not great, but on SCD you get the impression that criticism isn't as personal and that there's a good vibe backstage. The celebs don't need to put themselves at as much risk of injury or accident than on DOI.

It's just... everything about SCD is better. There's the makings of a great show in DOI, but ITV always go for a certain production style that seems to remove all atmosphere. It all just seems a bit soulless and nasty - I feel like DOI chews them up and spits them out whereas even the worst celebs on SCD seem to get a kick out of taking part.

Great post, echad! Mind you, I always say that when I agree with something and wish I'd written it myself...

I used to love DOI but fell out of love with it a few seasons back. Where Strictly gave us (as an example) Kara and Artem having a proper romance, DOI gave us a fauxmance between Sam Attwater and Brianne Delcourt with a photo of them in bed in their skates. It was as fake as the fauxmance between Pamela Anderson and Matt Evers (chortle, chortle). Just about sums up the difference between the two shows in terms of class.
  • Options
    shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think years back I would have preferred DOI but now it would definitely be SCD.

But why do we have to choose?? Nooooooooo :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    peeve wrote: »
    Great post, echad! Mind you, I always say that when I agree with something and wish I'd written it myself...

I used to love DOI but fell out of love with it a few seasons back. Where Strictly gave us (as an example) Kara and Artem having a proper romance, DOI gave us a fauxmance between Sam Attwater and Brianne Delcourt with a photo of them in bed in their skates. It was as fake as the fauxmance between Pamela Anderson and Matt Evers (chortle, chortle). Just about sums up the difference between the two shows in terms of class.

Ah, you reminded me of another thing I don't like about DOI! The way they rip off storylines from SCD - like with K&A as you say, but also other times. For instance, they gave Beth the exact same story as Louis (performance breakthrough doing a charleston to a song by the same singer). I think the thing with Sam and Brianne almost cost him the win, whereas with Kara and Artem their chemistry was critical for their victory. DOI would never be able to make a romance interesting for the viewer anyway, because you don't get those moments in training where it's just the couple working on the routine - there's always someone else there. I know it's controversial, but I really think the show would do better without T&D in it. :blush:
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    Dancing On Ice
    Dancing on Ice. I have never seen Strictly! :D
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Strictly, DOI has had its moment and for the last two seasons it has bored me stiff, although the All Stars series should resurrect some interest. There is only so much you can do on ice and its appeal has run out. It should have ended after the 2012 series. All the adverts don't help, but there is nothing ITV programmes can do about that.

Maybe rest DOI it for a few years and then bring it back, but I'm not sure it is worth it. Don't think the XFactor in its present format should continue either. The Voice with the right format could work. Strictly can last for years.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Absolutely no contest. Strictly every time. Such a classy production from start to finish.
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Strictly every time. I am surprised as this is the DOI forum that Strictly is winning so convincingly.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It really depends who's in them.

Loved strictly when Louis Smith was in it but this year (Last year now) was a bit Meh!
    Always liked Dancing on ice, but couldn't stand Chris Fountain at all.

So the people maketh the show in my eyes.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly prefer the DOI forum - a few postings and posters I find less than pleasant but much less cynicism and vitriol in general than on the SCD one.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    Strictly - I love the glitter, I love the glam, I love the pros and the relationships they have with each other and their partners, I love that we get to see behind the scenes a little during It Takes Two, I love that we get to listen to live music on each show, the judges know what they are talking about and all have a background in dance, the atmosphere is "lighter" and more energised, I just love everything about Strictly
  • Options
    LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strtictly Come Dancing
    olivej wrote: »
    Strictly - I love the glitter, I love the glam, I love the pros and the relationships they have with each other and their partners, I love that we get to see behind the scenes a little during It Takes Two, I love that we get to listen to live music on each show, the judges know what they are talking about and all have a background in dance, the atmosphere is "lighter" and more energised, I just love everything about Strictly

SCD for me all the way. Agree with everything Olive has said.