Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Hope he's back on Tuesday. He might have made a difference but understandably we cant risk playing him when he's not fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DAMN! :mad:
  • Options
    BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I was sitting with the tottenham fans, so imagine how I felt.

Had to have a shower when I got home.

Very poor second half; sat off them way to much. Didn't need to do that and invited them on, had no outlet, with Ramsey playing so conservatively and welbeck in a very unfamiliar role. Couldn't understand why we didn't bring Walcott on with 30 to go; when he did all,the scum around me were like, oh no, we're in trouble with his pace now.

Oh well.
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Beanybun wrote: »
    Well, I was sitting with the tottenham fans, so imagine how I felt.

Had to have a shower when I got home.

Very poor second half; sat off them way to much. Didn't need to do that and invited them on, had no outlet, with Ramsey playing so conservatively and welbeck in a very unfamiliar role. Couldn't understand why we didn't bring Walcott on with 30 to go; when he did all,the scum around me were like, oh no, we're in trouble with his pace now.

Oh well.

Should have started with Theo - he always plays well against them. Wenger needs to start subbing Giroud when he's not playing well rather than a midfielder. Welbeck through the middle might have worked better but it's his first game for a while so probably only planned to play him for an hour or so.

This game came a week too early for Alexis. He would have made a big difference. Reckon we can save him for the game against Leicester as the current players we've got should be able to beat them and start him against Palace away so he's ready for the big game against Monaco.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing with Giroud, when he's bad he's really crap. Too many not at it today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Another shambolic loss!

There was no energy within the team, passing was terrible, the attempts at goal? Laughable.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's frustrating the way the fixtures have fallen. All of the matches where the there is no point whatsoever in winning (or even trying that hard) are the ones which are important eg Stoke away, Spurs etc.

We have such a good run of fixtures coming, a win yesterday would have left 3rd place more likely, chances are this time next week we will be in 4th place and comfortable and on run of 2 or 3 wins in a row, which wasn't needed yesterday to end 4th.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    if you're going to play 'soak it up and hit back on the break' type football, you have to keep possession once you get it and play your paciest and most direct players. Every time we got the ball, they got given it straight back. We clearly prefer our pace of football more sedate. Got to work on that.
    I still can't believe we thought it was best to sit back and not take them on. Yes, they have Kane but they're not that good. Rosicky, Theo at half time. Not sure what to do about Ramsey as he's struggling and trying too hard.
    Feels lousy still this morning >:(
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a bit of a downer not least because it feels like a step backwards again. The sort of performance where we don't turn up and the sort we still can't get out of the system. Just when there was a feeling things were finally changing too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not certain we'll win on Tuesday actually, what if Sanchez doesnt play?
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramsey's passing needs to improve. He's a big reason why we can't keep possession.
    He's become an enigma - one brilliant season sandwiched between dross. His passing's been awful all season, and I'm sick and tired of seeing him appeal to the ref every time he gets knocked off the ball.

We have too many 'creative' types, and I think he's the one we could without the most.

It's important to have a partner for Coquelin in that role, and Ramsey's not up to it, Arteta will do once he's fit, but I'd play Flamini ahead of Ramsey right now.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    I'm mightily pissed off we lost to that lot, but not surprised in the slightest. The City result was a false dawn - no point getting excited, as the very next match we revert to type.

Whether we win, lose or draw, a massive overhaul is still needed at the club, including the manager - I won't change my opinion on that whatever happens.
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough fire in our bellies yesterday, and we looked second best all afternoon, even when we were winning.

Ozil was bloody awful apart from the finish, and the alarm bells are beginning to ring again about his attitude and work rate.

Cazorla can be forgiven an off game as despite a very poor start to the season, he's been very good lately.

In the Sunday Times, the player ratings were Ramsey 4/10, Cazorla 4/10, Ozil 3/10.

I disagree with comments about Giroud, I think he's an excellent striker, lots of deft touches and great heading ability. The jury's still out on Welbeck though.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    if you're going to play 'soak it up and hit back on the break' type football, you have to keep possession once you get it and play your paciest and most direct players. Every time we got the ball, they got given it straight back. We clearly prefer our pace of football more sedate. Got to work on that.
    I still can't believe we thought it was best to sit back and not take them on. Yes, they have Kane but they're not that good. Rosicky, Theo at half time. Not sure what to do about Ramsey as he's struggling and trying too hard.
    Feels lousy still this morning >:(

Should have played Rosicky from the beginning IMO, he was excellent against City - run the show.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Any tweets from Piers yet today?
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    I'm mightily pissed off we lost to that lot, but not surprised in the slightest. The City result was a false dawn - no point getting excited, as the very next match we revert to type.

Whether we win, lose or draw, a massive overhaul is still needed at the club, including the manager - I won't change my opinion on that whatever happens.

So glad I missed the shower of a performance!

I heartily agree with the bolded. Yesterday has taught fans, yet again, not to get too excited when we win some big games. As ultimately, we'll soon revert to type as long as things, management included,, remains the same.
  • Options
    Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    It's frustrating the way the fixtures have fallen. All of the matches where the there is no point whatsoever in winning (or even trying that hard) are the ones which are important eg Stoke away, Spurs etc.

We have such a good run of fixtures coming, a win yesterday would have left 3rd place more likely, chances are this time next week we will be in 4th place and comfortable and on run of 2 or 3 wins in a row, which wasn't needed yesterday to end 4th.

That's always the expectation with us, 4th. Even with the games ahead we will make it hard on ourselves, it's seems to be in the Arsenal blood nowadays to slip up and make it even harder to climb up to 4th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiron wrote: »
    So glad I missed the shower of a performance!

I heartily agree with the bolded. Yesterday has taught fans, yet again, not to get too excited when we win some big games. As ultimately, we'll soon revert to type as long as things, management included,, remains the same.

I agree it seems like the City result was a false dawn >:(
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I agree it seems like the City result was a false dawn >:(

Maybe the Spurs result was a false dusk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Maybe the Spurs result was a false dusk.

Who knows, but at least Man U have the balls to fight to the end and get a point even if they played shit :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The City win is looking more like a fluke by the day.
    The team still looks unbalanced. Coquelin can't hold the ship on his own and without strong defensive players, no way are the creative players going to be able to strut their stuff.
    And I want Ozil et al to do that. I don't want just industry over artistry (that's what Pochettino has given Spurs - artists they ain't). There's no reason why you can't have both but you need the right set up.
    Mate reminded me of Zidane's remark when asked who his favourite player was. Makelele.

Leicester are without a manager which doesn't make it easier for them tomorrow. We'll be back to crisis if that's not a comfortable 3 points. Anyone going?
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will win our next six league games then we host Liverpool.
    Let's not get to paranoid over one loss.
    COYG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We only drew with Leicester at their place. Hopefully we can win resoundingly tonight. Confidence is a brittle thing in this Arsenal team. Wenger doesn't "do" Simeone type motivation unfortunately.
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    We will win our next six league games then we host Liverpool.
    Let's not get to paranoid over one loss.
    COYG.

Indeed, although questions remain about ODL's tactics and it's a fact that we blew a great oppertunity to create a gap between us and those at the swamp.

The run of fixtures is kind to us with a good number of winnable games and our rivals for 3/4th place dropping points.

We'll get into a CL place by the end of the season no doubt but we've dropped some points that we shouldn't have and it's clear why.
This discussion has been closed.