Options

Moyles to join Sirius?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
Forum Member
✭✭
There’s speculation in the News of the World today that Chris Moyles has recently had meetings with New York-based satellite radio company Sirius and is considering moving over to them when his Radio 1 contract is up next year.

This could possibly lead a to very interesting state of affairs. Would he move to the relative anonymity of New York? (and time shift?) or would he continue to broadcast live from London? Would it be the first major example of on-line subscription radio in the UK? Would it ever justify satellite radio in the UK? Lots of possibilities, or at the very least a strong negotiating position for Moyles come contract renewal time.

If he *was* to get a major increase financially on his Radio 1 contract, it would at least be one in the eye for folks who currently say he get paid far too much at Radio 1. By way of comparison, Howard Stern at Sirius is rumoured to have earned over $300m USD in pay and share options. However, also of consideration is that Stern is rumoured to only reach 1-2m listeners. Could a good enough case be made for Moyles at Sirius?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a Digital Spy write up here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a288975/chris-moyles-in-talks-with-sirius-radio.html

..and also this on Howard Stern which mentions his own contract is up for renewal soon and that his pay and options to date might be as much as $500m http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a288671/howard-stern-sirius-xm-deal-imminent.html

I suppose that Moyles could be seen by many as young, new talent compared to Stern :D
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    If Moyles was so "massively in demand" in the States he would already be there. I think this is a bit of nonsense and speculation, possibly by his agent. It's certainly true that some US radio stations like English voices, but talk of "hundreds of millions" of dollars is way off the mark.

For starters, Moyles is NOT a global superstar. He's a popular personality in the UK with a big following on radio and a mixed track record in TV. If he were to go to Sirius, I expect he wouldn't be given a primetime show to start with. Six months contract at the most I'd say to launch a new show - possibly along the lines of Ryan Seacrest's show he did here - but with British celebs doing interviews.

But even that's being opitmistic.

As for the "BBC source" quoted in the article, it's hardly suprising that someone within the BBC would say that, is it?

Oh, and Moyles is no Howard Stern. Not by a long chalk.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are being Sirius? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Moyles was so "massively in demand" in the States he would already be there. I think this is a bit of nonsense and speculation, possibly by his agent. It's certainly true that some US radio stations like English voices, but talk of "hundreds of millions" of dollars is way off the mark.

For starters, Moyles is NOT a global superstar. He's a popular personality in the UK with a big following on radio and a mixed track record in TV. If he were to go to Sirius, I expect he wouldn't be given a primetime show to start with. Six months contract at the most I'd say to launch a new show - possibly along the lines of Ryan Seacrest's show he did here - but with British celebs doing interviews.

But even that's being opitmistic.

Chris no doubt has a certain following on Sirus, with Radio 1 already being on the platforrm. But he'd be far from being 'The saviour of Sirius Radio' for the US market, even with 'quirky' British humour. He's also got a fairly strong regional accent to contend with.

What it would likely hinge on is how Sirius could also tap in to the on-line subscription market in the UK. I'd say a fair amount of Chris' audience already listen to radio online. But would they pay £1 / £2 a month? Hmmm...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess is that its nonsense.

I have never come accross any evidence to suggest Moyles is in such demand in the States to justify this. Even in this country, I doubt many of even the most loyal of listeners to Moyles R1 show (myself included) would miss him so much they'd sign up to a subscription service.

His show is just a bit of light hearted banter and entertainment in the morning. Without the reach the show gets on R1 to attract the big names and get the high level of listener interaction, it wouldn't be the same.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Twitter

@danwootton Tomorrow in XS in the News of the World: Chris Moyles' shock move. Plus, Emma Watson, Beyonce, McFly and Joe McElderry.

@CHRISDJMOYLES @danwootton Really...? What 'shock move' is that Dan?

@danwootton @CHRISDJMOYLES Oh y'know, just some more (positive) speculation about your next move! All good stuff.

CHRISDJMOYLES @danwootton oh right, sounds interesting... Can't wait to find out what I'm doing next!
  • Options
    RoxioRoxio Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Chris Moyles is already on Sirius daily on the radio 1 breakfast show, [Time shifted.] Seems to have quite a following out here.
  • Options
    tricky22tricky22 Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They would not understand him in the USA, accent is a issue.

Think his agent is trying to talk a deal that does not excist.
  • Options
    Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxio wrote: »
    Chris Moyles is already on Sirius daily on the radio 1 breakfast show, [Time shifted.] Seems to have quite a following out here.

A very small one. The reason Stern is worth so much money is because he was a massive radio star before going to Sirus.

I could believe that Sirus would be interested in Moyles doing a show for them but I don't believe it would be for big money.
  • Options
    voltorevoltore Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I think there is a strong chance that a Moyles US show on XM/Sirius could work. I have XM and often listen to Chris as I drive into work.

One thing that I think may work for Chris is he fact he would be unleashed, no issues with language, no issues with politically neutral, balanced and whatever. He could in fact be himself which may work.

I doubt the accent is an issue, and he would be part of whatever channel they used him on. FYI, I don't get Howard Stern on XM unless I paid for the extra "Best of Sirius" package and that aint happening! I get Opie and Anthony and that is pure gobs&^%e

I doubt it would be the "big" break as they need to deal with TV for that, and many Brits have come and gone back......
  • Options
    Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could believe that Sirus would be interested in Moyles doing a show for them but I don't believe it would be for big money.

Depends what you mean by 'big money'.

Granted, it's unlikely to be the scale of the Stern deal... but it could easily be better than the sub $1,000,000 deal he's on at the moment.

As I understand it, the Sirius business model has turned a corner and now brings in a healthy number of subscribers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were reluctant to lose Moyles from their offering.