What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Julia Crouch - The Long Fall
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    A Foreign Country by Charles Cumming.

Won it in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Started this morning and loving it so far!
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Mitchell - Bone Clocks.
    Forum Member
    Louise Millar - The Hidden Girl
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sins of the Father - Jeffrey Archer - the second book in the Clifton Chronicles series - loved book 1 so I have high expectations for book 2:)
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History of the Rain by Niall Williams, audiobook narrated by Jennifer McGrath.
    A young Irish girl is confined to bed due to a serious illness. She meanders her way through her family history by way of her father's extensive collection of books, and with references to salmon fishing.

I hated this for the first half hour or so but it's growing on me now. Enjoyable writing so long as you don't mind going with the flow. Omniscient narrators annoy me though, I guess she's about 15 and I really doubt that she'd know all the ins and outs of her parents' lives, let alone those of previous generations.

I'm reading The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths. It's the first in a series of books featuring Ruth Galloway. She lives alone in a remote part of Norfolk and lectures on archaeology at a local university. When human remains are discovered on a beach near her home she is asked to assist in determining how long ago the victim died. She subsequently becomes drawn in to the investigation of the disappearance of two young girls ten years apart.

I noticed this series being mentioned on here and decided to give the first book a go. I'm enjoying it so far, Ruth is a good character, quirky but believable, and works well with the grumpy Detective Harry Nelson.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relentless by Dean Koontz
    Forum Member
    Avenger of Rome by Douglas Jackson.

Book 3 in the Gaius Valerius Verrens series.

First 2 are fantastic so very much looking forward to this one.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Elephant Moon by John Sweeney - it's about Burma in WW2.

Not brilliant but a good read nonetheless - I like to learn a bit of history through a novel rather than a text book.

I had to backtrack to look it up - I never know or remember titles anymore now that I read through a Kindle.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Karen Joy Fowler's 'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves'. Beautifully written full of humour and err.. monkey buisness

I know I;ve read that but for the life of me I can't remember what it's about. Is it WW1?
  • AidanpAidanp Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Idiot Abroad ( Karl Pilkington ). Loved it, he's an absolute philistine !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Anthony Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds. Trollope novels take a while to get going but this was extremely trying. It was as if At couldn't decide where his plot was going. The entire first volume could have been edited to a quarter of the text. Once it got going it was fine Trollope fare. The Palliser series nt a patch on the Barsetshire chronicles though. In the latter the recurring characters are interwoven in to the narrative. In the Palliser books the characters are shoe-horned in to satisfy the reader of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Law's Strangest Cases. Good quick read about some of the most curious legal cases over the centuries
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Angela Marsons's Silent Scream. First in the DI Kim Stone series. Promising start. Well rounded characterizations. More subtle plotting in the future and this series could be a success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Pigs Might Fly the biography of Pink Floyd by Mark Blake. Well researched guide to one of the biggest rock bands of all time. Gives a good insight into the Floyd/Roger Waters split and tries to explore the disintegration of Syd Barrett.
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Pigs Might Fly the biography of Pink Floyd by Mark Blake. Well researched guide to one of the biggest rock bands of all time. Gives a good insight into the Floyd/Roger Waters split and tries to explore the disintegration of Syd Barrett.

4 books in 13 minutes? Wow 😁
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christine by Stephen King...looks very very good :D
    Forum Member
    Paul Finch - The Killing Club
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Fault In Our Stars - John Green
    Mixed feelings about this. The dialogue between Hazel and Augustus made me feel I was reading an adult novel instead of YA one. Do teenagers really talk like that? Despite that, the growing friendship that developed was immensely moving, plus the loving protectiveness of their respective parents.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Science Delusion ~ Rupert Sheldrake
    Forum Member
    Penny Hancock - A Trick of the Mind
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penpal - Dathan Auerbach - I think I bought this because it was on offer on Amazon but I don't usually read horror so I'm kind of regretting it. Oh well, it's quite short and I'll just see how it goes.