Options

Do the BBC find darts embarrassing ?

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's on every year, just wondering why the BBC televise this ?

Comments

• Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has televised darts since the mid 1980s.

It's cheap and fills lots of the afternoon and late night TV schedules.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    satman17 wrote: »
    If they found it embarrassing why would they show it?
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Three in a bed?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Digressing...

The rather "thin volume" which contains the details of the BBC's live sports coverage and the first post, reminds me of when as a kid, I watched Peter Dimmock introduce "Sportsview" as it was in those days, announcing; "Tonight we have for you, horse racing and table tennis," as if he were giving us something special.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Digressing...

The rather "thin volume" which contains the details of the BBC's live sports coverage and the first post, reminds me of when as a kid, I watched Peter Dimmock introduce "Sportsview" as it was in those days, announcing; "Tonight we have for you, horse racing and table tennis," as if he were giving us something special.

To be honest, table tennis is more exciting than horse racing
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    To be honest, table tennis is more exciting than horse racing
    Sky have been showing thw world ping pong championships. I'm surprised the BBC didn't bid for it :p
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,775
    Forum Member
    satman17 wrote: »
    Because people who like Darts pay their TVL too, I suppose.

(Where's that 'rollingeyes' smiley when you need it?! :()
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If they found it embarrassing why would they show it?

Yes the OP's question doesn't make any sense. If they found it embarrassing then they wouldn't show it every year would they? :confused:
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually its been on BBC since 1978 when Leighton Rees became the first World Champion.

Love the quote "its on every year" :D

If there is a problem with Darts its that there are two World Championships-the PDC (broadcast on SKY) ending on New Years Day and the BDO version (on BBC) a week or so later. There was a split in the 1990's when a group of top players set up the PDC. Its daft really, the PDC on SKY is watched by miniscule audiences and the BDO still headlines to the mass audience on BBC2 but suffers because the standard is overall much poorer. They really SHOULD let bygones be bygones and unite.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Televised darts gets respectable sized audiences. Apparently the PDC championship on Sky Sports is their biggest non-football event.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Actually its been on BBC since 1978 when Leighton Rees became the first World Champion.

Love the quote "its on every year" :D

If there is a problem with Darts its that there are two World Championships-the PDC (broadcast on SKY) ending on New Years Day and the BDO version (on BBC) a week or so later. There was a split in the 1990's when a group of top players set up the PDC. Its daft really, the PDC on SKY is watched by miniscule audiences and the BDO still headlines to the mass audience on BBC2 but suffers because the standard is overall much poorer. They really SHOULD let bygones be bygones and unite.

It's a pity that the PDC broke away. BBC2 was the natural home of darts and I've never fully bought into the Sky version, despite them having all the good players and better prize money.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,497
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's a pity that the PDC broke away. BBC2 was the natural home of darts and I've never fully bought into the Sky version, despite them having all the good players and better prize money.

And that's their problem. Many people can't or won't buy in to Sky. The players of the 80s were major household names when it was shown on the BBC. Now, the only major player most people have heard of is Phil Taylor. Mostly because he's won nearly every world championship since the split.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Are the darts shows shown live (as in happening NOW, and not in the Jool Hootenanny style, recorded live!)?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to a PDC darts competition. It's a fantastic night out, even if you have no idea who any of the players are. And yes, it's a live thing on Sky.
    I know that because when we left the place and went to the pub over the road, the programme was still on because of Phil Taylor flattening his opponent in no time flat while the telly schedule still had time to run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the darts shows shown live (as in happening NOW, and not in the Jool Hootenanny style, recorded live!)?

Well, the night time stuff is recorded earlier but the afternoon show which goes out for over three hours is live
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    who actually watches this shit?

Its just a few rotund overweight sweaty men throwing pointy sticks at a board with a crowd going bat shit crazy, I think even bowls is more exciting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's their problem. Many people can't or won't buy in to Sky. The players of the 80s were major household names when it was shown on the BBC. Now, the only major player most people have heard of is Phil Taylor. Mostly because he's won nearly every world championship since the split.

The atmosphere at the PDC world championship has become very different too. I was surprised last week just how boisterous it is....the crowd engaged in football type chanting and singing even when the players are throwing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    who actually watches this shit?

Its just a few rotund overweight sweaty men throwing pointy sticks at a board with a crowd going bat shit crazy, I think even bowls is more exciting!

No, it's a very interesting and technical sport. It's absolutely perfect for television as the action and scoring is really fast moving compared to most other sports.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The atmosphere at the PDC world championship has become very different too. I was surprised last week just how boisterous it is....the crowd engaged in football type chanting and singing even when the players are throwing.

Sky and the PDC just use the whole thing as an excuse to make money from chanting pissheads who need something to do between football games. They have been successful with it but, for me, it's too far removed from what a Darts atmosphere should be. The Lakeside will always be the true home of Darts, even if the best of the best don't play there.

By the way, the BBC are far from 'embarrassed' by the Darts. It gets solid ratings and they've even got more coverage this year (most notably, showing the whole evening session on the red button). They recently signed up for several more years of covering the Lakeside. And why not? It's always a great show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, it's a very interesting and technical sport. It's absolutely perfect for television as the action and scoring is really fast moving compared to most other sports.

How? I prefer F1 where tactics are there to see, teams put together their cars, they have strategies and they work them out so they can beat everyone. Darts is just throw dart on board... gain points. Each to own but I fail to see how technical it actually is?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. There is always this feeling that its not complete, however high the averages are on the PDC version.

Get together and sort Darts out -that's what I say :)
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How? I prefer F1 where tactics are there to see, teams put together their cars, they have strategies and they work them out so they can beat everyone. Darts is just throw dart on board... gain points. Each to own but I fail to see how technical it actually is?

Huh, Formula 1 is full of "secret technology" that mechanics love and people who are watching don't give a stuff about. What goes in to winning at Formula 1 is 99% unseen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huh, Formula 1 is full of "secret technology" that mechanics love and people who are watching don't give a stuff about. What goes in to winning at Formula 1 is 99% unseen.

Which is still alot more technical than darts :D unless the darts nowdays have a double diffuser on them?
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is still alot more technical than darts :D unless the darts nowdays have a double diffuser on them?

Well that's the point isn't it - it's a game. If you need a Masters in engineering to fully understand it then it kind of misses the point.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    The atmosphere at PDC events is epic compared to BDO where its like you're playing in a morgue.
    And the chanting and singing is part of the event, its not pissheads and misbehaviour.
    The quality on BDO is poor and has been for years and thats because of the arse that is Olly Croft.
    The PDC has evolved for the greater good of the game and anyone that can't see that is frankly, blind.