Options

Laptop £400 ish

13»

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I've had a read of the reviews too and agree with Tassium.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I had the same dilemma months ago. Almost asked anyone I know, comparing the specifications one after another and ended up getting an Asus t100, which is very different to what I planned. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to computer hardware but as advised by many an Intel i3 or i5 with 2 or 4GB of RAM will do awesome considering the things you will do. Goodluck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's the use of the graphics card for running the flight sims and the video editing that is the critical factor here rather than the CPU choice, bearing in mind the budget of £400 ish. The video editing also requires the extra RAM so up to 4GB won't be enough.

There are many different models and generations of both the i3 and i5 as well, and 'awesome' only applies to a small number of them coupled with a generous dose of RAM so they achieve their potential.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The virus guy is just weird, maybe he got a return by mistake.

No reviews of a laptop ever fail to have people who think it's the worse machine every made.

You just won't find a perfect collection of reviews. The only time I consider reviews is when multiple reviews mention the same thing, such as the sound being tinny or the fans being noisy.

In other words if people agree on something it's probably an issue, if the vast majority praise it then I would go with that and ignore the naysayers.

Good point. Nothing is going to be perfect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    It's the use of the graphics card for running the flight sims and the video editing that is the critical factor here rather than the CPU choice, bearing in mind the budget of £400 ish. The video editing also requires the extra RAM so up to 4GB won't be enough.

There are many different models and generations of both the i3 and i5 as well, and 'awesome' only applies to a small number of them coupled with a generous dose of RAM so they achieve their potential.

I see. Thank you for that evil c. There's really a lot to consider when buying the most suitable laptop to use. I'm aiming to buy another computer by next year so I'll definitely hang around here for more advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have spotted a similarly speced and priced machine to the Tesco one in Currys. The choice to make though would be between integrated graphics or touchscreen. I have to admit that after playing with the laptops in Currys, a touchscreen does have some value using win8. What I can't tell however is how good the intigrated graphics are in the Currys model.
    Compare:
    Tesco: http://goo.gl/EfILCi
    Currys: http://goo.gl/o9aazr
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    I have spotted a similarly speced and priced machine to the Tesco one in Currys. The choice to make though would be between integrated graphics or touchscreen. I have to admit that after playing with the laptops in Currys, a touchscreen does have some value using win8. What I can't tell however is how good the intigrated graphics are in the Currys model.
    Compare:
    Tesco: http://goo.gl/EfILCi
    Currys: http://goo.gl/o9aazr

According to the following, the integrated chip is pretty good even with 2014 games at lower settings:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-6410-Notebook-Processor.122644.0.html
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the following, the integrated chip is pretty good even with 2014 games at lower settings:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-6410-Notebook-Processor.122644.0.html

It's the R5 again. Will probably be fine was the previous conclusion.

I would consider the touch screen issue carefully, because my experience with touchscreens on laptops is that they are a complete pain.

Windows 8 can be modded to function like Win7
  • Options
    Forum Member

Both the same price and both with the integrated R5 but the Currys HP doesn't have the dedicated AMD R7-M260 2GB graphics card the Tesco one has, which will make all the difference for your sims and editing, and you've got the £30 voucher for the Tesco machine too, that Tassium posted. The Tesco HP is the clear winner: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M260.122208.0.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's really a lot to consider when buying the most suitable laptop to use.

You hit the nail on the head there, and the specs and tech are continually improving. Last year's A list must have laptops are this year's B list embarrasing to be seen with laptops, and media driven hype has a lot to do with that. If you can follow the models and buy a good one just after it's been discontinued and the price is dropping to clear the stock, then that's a good choice I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    5hane, If it'll help you make up your mind, I've checked the specs on PC World's entire stock of laptops in your price range and had a good look round at other retailers too, and tech discussion forums. I even looked at the Lenovo laptops with the Intel i5 and Nvidia dedicated graphics, due to the VAT refund offer. I'm sure Tassium has also looked at a wide range and compared the specs and prices the same as me. We've both put a lot of time in.

Believe me when I say the Tesco HP 15-p046na is the best machine for you right now. If you hesitate too long they will sell out and you'll be back to square one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's the R5 again. Will probably be fine was the previous conclusion.

I would consider the touch screen issue carefully, because my experience with touchscreens on laptops is that they are a complete pain.

Windows 8 can be modded to function like Win7

Ok, its drummed into me now. No more being indisisive :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    5hane, If it'll help you make up your mind, I've checked the specs on PC World's entire stock of laptops in your price range and had a good look round at other retailers too, and tech discussion forums. I even looked at the Lenovo laptops with the Intel i5 and Nvidia dedicated graphics, due to the VAT refund offer. I'm sure Tassium has also looked at a wide range and compared the specs and prices the same as me. We've both put a lot of time in.

Believe me when I say the Tesco HP 15-p046na is the best machine for you right now. If you hesitate too long they will sell out and you'll be back to square one.

Wow, that's so kind. I'm going to go for it!!