Options

What's up with Halle Berry? Accusations of 'racism' thrown at her daughter's father.

FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Read this:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/24/gabriel-aubry-halle-berry-court-daughter-nahla-hair-dyed-straightened/

Also this:

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/halle-berry-secures-court-order-to-stop-ex-gabriel-aubry-changing-daughters-hairstyle-30775611.html

Halle calls herself 'black'. :confused: She clearly isn't as she's of mixed-race. Her mother is Caucasian & her father is Africian-American.

Does anyone think Halle comes across as being mean-spirited & petty out of this court case? Was she right to pillor her ex & her daughter's father by accusing him of being 'racist' over the child's hair straightening? Personally I think her claim is rather OTT. :o I see that Halle is trying to reduce the child alimony payments to her ex as well.

Comments

• Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both parents need to grow up. I seriously feel sorry for that child. When Halle tried to move to France with their daughter in order to live with her French boyfriend, I was on Gabriel's side. I thought that was pretty terrible. When Halle's boyfriend then beat up Gabriel because he stopped them from moving to France, I was again on his side. Now, he seems like an idiot too. Why would he do that to a 6 year old's hair?

Also, is Halle teaching her daughter that she is black only, or did I read that wrong? As far as I'm aware, her daughter is mostly white.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen mixed-race/black lasses having their hair straight. Their daughter should be the one who decides if she wants her hair straight or not. If she's not bothered, just leave it.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be a lot of ugly things going on behind the scenes between these two, with their daughter at the centre of it.

Halle comes across as somebody who jumps on the 'race' wagon very readily.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I would imagine Berry has a very large chip on her shoulder about her white genes, and that she screwed a white guy and got pregnant. She clearly wants herself and her child to be black. Nasty woman is pushing her innate racism on to her child, who when she's growing up, will undoubtedly go around school making herself look a complete pillock by screaming that she's black and demanding her "rights".

Berry's not a nice looking woman outside of the Storm X-Men wig and leather. Perhaps she should be more concerned about doing something with her own hair instead of going around with that awful man's haircut, and having some cosmetic surgery to remove that constant "black woman with attitude" look off her face.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's Halle's natural hair - or does she have it styled, (sometimes straightened sometimes curled) and coloured like the vast majority of women of all racial backgrounds do?
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I could see it as a problem if the other parent tried to erase all of my racial background from a child's life, but these two have been going at it for over everything and anything ever sinse the poor child was born. I feel so sorry for a Nahla having to grow up with these parents.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could see it as a problem if the other parent tried to erase all of my racial background from a child's life, but these two have been going at it for over everything and anything ever sinse the poor child was born. I feel so sorry for a Nahla having to grow up with these parents.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that its Halle who is always the one taking potshots at Gabriel over everything and anything?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's bat sh*t crazy, that's what's up with her
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I think she comes across as a nasty, vindictive woman.
  • Options
    CocothekittenCocothekitten Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    Read this:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/24/gabriel-aubry-halle-berry-court-daughter-nahla-hair-dyed-straightened/

Also this:

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/halle-berry-secures-court-order-to-stop-ex-gabriel-aubry-changing-daughters-hairstyle-30775611.html

Halle calls herself 'black'. :confused: She clearly isn't as she's of mixed-race. Her mother is Caucasian & her father is Africian-American.

Does anyone think Halle comes across as being mean-spirited & petty out of this court case? Was she right to pillor her ex & her daughter's father by accusing him of being 'racist' over the child's hair straightening? Personally I think her claim is rather OTT. :o I see that Halle is trying to reduce the child alimony payments to her ex as well.

Halle is American and over there the 'one drop' rule applies and is very much based on your appearance. She has always chosen to identify as a black woman. She has even said that her mother mother raised her to be a 'black woman who has a white mother' (or words to that effect). She can identify however she likes.

Now the straightening thing to me would depend on how he did it. If he used a chemical straightener on the child then I would have a serious problem with that as it would be the equivalent of bleaching a child's hair.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seriously doubt he chemically bleached her hair and there's no evidence he did. As for hair-straightening, that has nothing to do with racial identity - it's just another hair style...and for all we know the child may have requested it.

Halle is unhinged for sure. Am I the only one who doesn't even find the woman particularly attractive? Can't wait for the drama which ensues when she splits from the father of her son, LOL.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but it seems to me that its Halle who is always the one taking potshots at Gabriel over everything and anything?

I think she's an extremely vindictive woman. She treated him and his relationship with his daughter like an inconvenience when she hooked up with Martinez. And this latest taking him to court crap over something that could/should have been sorted out privately is just another example of Halle trying to direct the narrative and make herself look like the concerned parent.

If Gabriel is now playing dirty as far as maintenance is concerned, so be it.
  • Options
    CocothekittenCocothekitten Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    I seriously doubt he chemically bleached her hair and there's no evidence he did. As for hair-straightening, that has nothing to do with racial identity - it's just another hair style...and for all we know the child may have requested it.

Halle is unhinged for sure. Am I the only one who doesn't even find the woman particularly attractive? Can't wait for the drama which ensues when she splits from the father of her son, LOL.

Hi,

I should have been a bit clearer. For a 'black' woman or woman with naturally curly or frizzy hair to permanently straighten her hair a chemical process called a Relaxer (containing sodium hydroxide) has to be applied it. If that's what he did then that's roughly the equivalent of having hair bleached. If he did it temporarily with a blow dryer or straighteners then I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I should have been a bit clearer. For a 'black' woman or woman with naturally curly or frizzy hair to permanently straighten her hair a chemical process called a Relaxer (containing sodium hydroxide) has to be applied it. If that's what he did then that's roughly the equivalent of having hair bleached...
    There's no evidence he did that either...
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor nahla with halle using her as a weapon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's laughable that Flanno thinks that that pure racist site is the best choice to try and make his point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor nahla with halle using her as a weapon

Or it could be a case of Halle finding out that her daughter's father had her daughter's hair straightened without even asking her.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Or it could be a case of Halle finding out that her daughter's father had her daughter's hair straightened without even asking her.

Do you think she rings him everytime she curls the child's hair? Or braids it? Cuts it?

Co-parenting is just that, and no parent should have more rights than the other. Her white heritage should be just as important as her black. As should her sense of self away from those two labels.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why a mother would be annoyed if her child's hair was altered without her knowledge or without her being consulted but to call her ex racist is a step too far. Perhaps the child asked for it and the father went along with it? I guess we'll never know. Personally I do think the child is too young to have permanent colour or straightening done.

Beyoncé had straight blondish hair for years and she has never denied her heritage.

So Halle being annoyed is understandable if anything permanent has been done but I do think that equating any changes to racism is a bit much.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Why should he need permission? He's her parent too
  • Options
    HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I always remember the time both her and Hugh Jackman were doing an interview to promote an X Men film on Chris Moyles show and he said something completely innocent which she then insisted was a racist remark. It made for awkward listening as Hugh tried to diffuse the situation by being his normal polite self.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a history of messed-up relationships. Her time with Wesley Snipes was filled with screwy stuff she'd rather people didn't know about. Her attitude is incredibly suspect as well, if rumours are to be believed...
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halle is American and over there the 'one drop' rule applies and is very much based on your appearance. She has always chosen to identify as a black woman. She has even said that her mother mother raised her to be a 'black woman who has a white mother' (or words to that effect). She can identify however she likes.

Now the straightening thing to me would depend on how he did it. If he used a chemical straightener on the child then I would have a serious problem with that as it would be the equivalent of bleaching a child's hair.

I have to admit that I'm confused by this. She seems to have a close relationship with her mother and if her mum is white, why does she ignore that side?
  • Options
    kellygirlkellygirl Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I read the article, I don't think Halle is in the wrong, the child is too young to have her hair straightened with chemicals, if that is what is happening, whatever her heritage. I often think Katie Price would have her daughter's hair straight permanently if she could.
    I have mixed race in my family and I understand where the mother of HB is coming from. Its not denying your white heritage, just acknowledging that the wider world will invariably see you as black.