Question Time Last night .... farage and brand

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beaky29 wrote: »
    I can not stand Russell Brand. I wonder what he really knows about anything "normal"
    If you watch it Camilla Cavendish was talking a great deal of sense

Lovely down to earth kind of name (not) . Camilla Cavendish :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    So the story goes Russell Brand went to see Paul Foot (a comedian with eccentric hair, quirky mannerisms and love for florid language ) and stole his whole act.

Did the author of that story also write the one about him straightening his chest hair before the program :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Brand has a few soundbites and fancy words, but no real substance to any of it. He actually thinks he has something of value to contribute. Some seem to lap it up, unfortunately adding to his delusions of grandeur.

By some, I presume you include his 9 million Twitter followers ?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »

Katy Perry has 61 million followers, should she be made Prime Minister?

The top 100 are nearly all 'personalities' and he does not get in the top 100.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Katy Perry has 61 million followers, should she be made Prime Minister?

The top 100 are nearly all 'personalities' and he does not get in the top 100.

It'd be better to do it on Youtube likes. Psy would make a good Prime Minister. :):p
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member

What does that have to do with anything? Charlie Sheen's a drug addict and woman abuser with 11 million followers. I'm sure all those people follow him because they admire him or find him insightful lol.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a more general sense 'popular' does not equal 'good'. That applies both to Farage AND Brand.

Brand has publicly entered the political arena of his own choice. That is why people keep telling him put his money where his mouth is (as it were). Jo Brand isn't making politicised statements on the news, she's not telling people how (or in this case not to) vote. The two having both been invited onto QT doesn't make them equivalent.

Brand should do something concrete rather than just stand on the sidelines heckling. Stand for office, start a party, put something on the line. See how may of his nine million twitter followers actually vote for him. As it he's all talk and no walk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely down to earth kind of name (not) . Camilla Cavendish :)
    So we should only listen to people whose names are judged working class enough? She made more sense for more of the time than the rest of the panel put together, and political allegiances be damned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    In a more general sense 'popular' does not equal 'good'. That applies both to Farage AND Brand.

Brand has publicly entered the political arena of his own choice. That is why people keep telling him put his money where his mouth is (as it were). Jo Brand isn't making politicised statements on the news, she's not telling people how (or in this case not to) vote. The two having both been invited onto QT doesn't make them equivalent.

Brand should do something concrete rather than just stand on the sidelines heckling. Stand for office, start a party, put something on the line. See how may of his nine million twitter followers actually vote for him. As it he's all talk and no walk.

Please. He hasn't entered "the political arena" any more than Jo Brand, another recent Question Time panel member, has. There's a difference between protesting about an issue and then giving an interview on the subject when you're asked to and actually joining in full-time politics.

Ironically, far too many UKIP party members are guilty of doing what you suggest Brand do: being passionate about one or two issues (the EU and immigration) and not thinking about all the other ones that they should have clear, united policies on (education, taxation, the NHS, etc) and being deluded enough to think that you can stand for office with so many gaps in what you do and don't stand for.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they follow him because of his political views then yes.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

Again, it's Russell Brand's political opinion that people shouldn't vote. People are free to ignore him and obviously plenty do. I certainly haven't stopped voting just because he suggested it. But that doesn't mean what he's saying isn't thought provoking or has no validity just because he hasn't put himself forward for election. Many comedians have appeared on Question Time and given their own political opinions that have provoked reaction without the call to enter full time politics. What people mostly object to with Russell Brand is his brash personality and use of verbose rhetoric. It can be a bit much for some people and that's his own downfall in some areas.

While he has been in politics for over 20 years and been an MEP for 15 years, Nigel Farage has actually had no concrete experience of being an MP for any local constituency...ever. He's the career sideline heckler who's been living off taxpayers' money in Europe all this time while doing nothing for anyone in this country. Russell Brand is an easy - albeit open - target for distraction.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blindly hating Russell Brand because he's a 'knob end' or because you just dont like 'him' is one thing but dismissing any points he has to make for that reason is just childish.

The only people who genuinely hate and disagree with him are the people who benefit from the current economic system. If your not one of them and you still dont wont to listen to anything he has to say then you might want to ask why that is.

The really big question is 'What is progress?'
    https://shamocracy.org/2014/12/08/hatred-russell-brand-irrelevant/
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Blindly hating Russell Brand because he's a 'knob end' or because you just dont like 'him' is one thing but dismissing any points he has to make for that reason is just childish.

The only people who genuinely hate and disagree with him are the people who benefit from the current economic system. If your not one of them and you still dont wont to listen to anything he has to say then you might want to ask why that is.

The really big question is 'What is progress?'
    https://shamocracy.org/2014/12/08/hatred-russell-brand-irrelevant/

So we have to listen to every loony who thinks he can solve all the world's problems. Presumably you will be listening in full to all the arguments from the RIght wing loonies before you criticise them?

I think with Brand, most people don't even know what he is talking about most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please. He hasn't entered "the political arena" any more than Jo Brand, another recent Question Time panel member, has. There's a difference between protesting about an issue and then giving an interview on the subject when you're asked to and actually joining in full-time politics.
    The fact is if you're a public figure and you're making statements about political issues on a regular basis, you've entered politics. Jo Brand has been on QT and frankly didn't say very much. Russell Brand is on QT, he's on the news doing interviews, he's doing articles in newspapers. He's written a sodding book which includes a political agenda. He's entered politics, And the whole 'oh, me, I'm just a comedian, I dunno nuffin' schtick is just a way of attempting to deflect any criticism that comes his way.

Once you tell people what to do with their vote - and that includes not using it - you're a political figure. To suggest otherwise is trite and, frankly, cowardly.
    Ironically, far too many UKIP party members are guilty of doing what you suggest Brand do: being passionate about one or two issues (the EU and immigration) and not thinking about all the other ones that they should have clear, united policies on (education, taxation, the NHS, etc) and being deluded enough to think that you can stand for office with so many gaps in what you do and don't stand for.
    Difference being (and I have no love for UKIP, but there you go) that they've formed a political party, they've put their views up to public scrutiny and, at the end of the day, they've put them to the vote. Brand just gets to spout off and if it doesn't go his way he can hold his hands up, say 'nothing to do with me guvnor' and tottle off back to his fortune.

It is, again, cowardly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The fact is if you're a public figure and you're making statements about political issues on a regular basis, you've entered politics. Jo Brand has been on QT and frankly didn't say very much. Russell Brand is on QT, he's on the news doing interviews, he's doing articles in newspapers. He's written a sodding book which includes a political agenda. He's entered politics, And the whole 'oh, me, I'm just a comedian, I dunno nuffin' schtick is just a way of attempting to deflect any criticism that comes his way.

Once you tell people what to do with their vote - and that includes not using it - you're a political figure. To suggest otherwise is trite and, frankly, cowardly.

Difference being (and I have no love for UKIP, but there you go) that they've formed a political party, they've put their views up to public scrutiny and, at the end of the day, they've put them to the vote. Brand just gets to spout off and if it doesn't go his way he can hold his hands up, say 'nothing to do with me guvnor' and tottle off back to his fortune.

It is, again, cowardly.

Funny, I don't see people calling Mylene Klass cowardly because she isn't standing for office. I've never seen people attack someone like, say, Peter Hitchens for having strong opinions on a range of topics but not standing for office. I've never seen someone call Mark Thomas cowardly for speaking up about issues and telling people what to do with their vote but not running for Parliament himself.

Why is Brand such a special case in your eyes?
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, I don't see people calling Mylene Klass cowardly because she isn't standing for office. I've never seen people attack someone like, say, Peter Hitchens for having strong opinions on a range of topics but not standing for office. I've never seen someone call Mark Thomas cowardly for speaking up about issues and telling people what to do with their vote but not running for Parliament himself.

Why is Brand such a special case in your eyes?

Because Brand is so far up his own ****?
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the part where Brand said he was a ''comedian''.

Ha, that's, that's the biggest laugh he's given me, that's for true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Because Brand is so far up his own ****?

If being a bit narcissistic was a crime then most of Parliament would be be behind bars.

At least Brand admits that he loves himself. By contrast, most politicians are in denial about it, and expect us to love them as well, all while pissing on most of us from a great height.