The Heath Ledger Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Oscars televised at all? I want to watch. Am a sucker for this naff awards stuff :D:o

Sorry to go off topic there. Bless that little picture of Matilda. I actually think she looks a lot more like Michelle in that pic.
    I have a new magazine with Michelle and Matilda on the front (I think this was the issue just after he'd died) and she looks the spitting image of him on that.
    So sad he and she won't know each other :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Is the Oscars televised at all? I want to watch. Am a sucker for this naff awards stuff :D:o

Sorry to go off topic there. Bless that little picture of Matilda. I actually think she looks a lot more like Michelle in that pic.
    I have a new magazine with Michelle and Matilda on the front (I think this was the issue just after he'd died) and she looks the spitting image of him on that.
    So sad he and she won't know each other :(

i saw that piccy too jess, she was the image of Heath...it was spooky.
    Must be sad and happy at the same time for his family to see her. Sad in that she is a reminder of Heath, happy in that his spirit lives on in her.
    Forum Member

:(

Oscars on sky movies i think. i'm hoping that someone will put the memorial section on youtube cos i don't have sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscars on sky movies i think. i'm hoping that someone will put the memorial section on youtube cos i don't have sky.

I don't have Sky either :(
    Forum Member
    I don't have Sky either :(

Bugger eh?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Bugger eh?

It's on Sky Movies Premiere which we don't get anymore. I prefer the sports to the films! And it'll be repeated - the 'highlights', tomorrow on Sky One. And as a Virgin customer, I can't get Sky One now.

I wouldn't've watched anyway, personally. I never watched last year. I stopped watching after they snubbed BBM and the actors cos they're all too gutless to award it when everyone knew it should have won the Best Picture.

I was never gonna watch this year anyway, and in a way I'm glad I can't cos I can't bear to see Heath in that 'dead section' as someone once bluntly but truthfully, called it. Not when he should have been up there two years ago for another reason. Too unbearable to watch. I've cried enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like awards ceremonies for some reason, to see who wins what etc. It's like the Eurovision and the General Election :o I can't stand the music (eurovision) but I love seeing who gets top points etc.
    Yep I need to get out more.. :o:D
    Forum Member
    i like looking at the frocks....see, still as shallow as a puddle:o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like looking at the frocks....see, still as shallow as a puddle:o

Nothing wrong with being shallow as a puddle - as long as you admit it :D:D!!

I hate the "dead" section too - infact that's normally the point I leg it for the kitchen to make a cup of tea! Don't think I'll be looking out for that bit - like Flukie said, I've blubbed enough - no need to go adding to it unneccessarily!

So is everyone decided on the Wednesday film? Are we starting at the same time (9?).
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with being shallow as a puddle - as long as you admit it :D:D!!

I hate the "dead" section too - infact that's normally the point I leg it for the kitchen to make a cup of tea! Don't think I'll be looking out for that bit - like Flukie said, I've blubbed enough - no need to go adding to it unneccessarily!

So is everyone decided on the Wednesday film? Are we starting at the same time (9?).

Someone on a Heath forum said they finished the 'dead section' with two shots of Heath from BBM outside Acquirre's cabin at the beginning of the film.

I'm not surprised, by the way, that that French woman won Best Actress - if there's an impersonation of a real person up for it, they'll always win. DDL should be thankful he was up against other fictional characters.

This is of course, why Heath never won anything 2 years ago - he was up against an impersonation of Capote. :mad:
    It's always pissed me off and always will, that an impersonator will always win over someone playing a fictional character.

I can only assume Cate Blanchett didn't win for Elizabeth but lost to a fictional character cos Elizabeth was from centuries ago and wasn't 'modern'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^I agree with everything you said Flukie. BBM should have won, and everyone knew it, but the Academy wimped out.

I'm up for AKT on Wednesday. I think I can handle that one - it's BBM I am dreading. My favourite Heath film, which always made me cry anyway - I will be a gibbering wreck next time I watch it (which will be the first time since he died).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    booklover wrote: »
    ^^^^I agree with everything you said Flukie. BBM should have won, and everyone knew it, but the Academy wimped out.

I'm up for AKT on Wednesday. I think I can handle that one - it's BBM I am dreading. My favourite Heath film, which always made me cry anyway - I will be a gibbering wreck next time I watch it (which will be the first time since he died).

I haven't seen BBM yet - am setting aside a night this weekend to make myself watch it :(. If it's as exceptional as people say, then the Academy did make a mistake - but then there's lots of times that's happened (Catherine ZJ for Chicago springs to mind instantly!). Will hopefully be able to comment next week! :)

Am looking forward to Weds - roll on AKT!
  • hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the biggest Oscar crimes ever was that Brokeback didn't win Best Picture or that Heath didn't win 'Best Actor' (& why wasn't Jake even nominated in Best Supporting)

Am also looking forward to Wednesday - which version of A Knight's Tale are we're going to be watching?? Just so everyone can be in sync.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    hayleyg wrote: »
    One of the biggest Oscar crimes ever was that Brokeback didn't win Best Picture or that Heath didn't win 'Best Actor' (& why wasn't Jake even nominated in Best Supporting)

Am also looking forward to Wednesday - which version of A Knight's Tale are we're going to be watching?? Just so everyone can be in sync.

Jake was nominated for Best Supporting Actor but he lost out to George Clooney:( The Oscars were an absolute travesty that year. Apparently a lot of members of the Judging Panel (or whatever it's called) refused to even watch Brokeback Mountain, so surely the result shouldn't have counted?:confused::mad: But in terms of cinema history, the film is a classic already, and so are Heath's and Jake's performances. Can't say I've heard anyone say the same about Crash :rolleyes:

I didn't know there was more than one version of AKT:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of watching Ten things I Hate About You earlier tonight. A film I loved.

:cry: I cried from beginning to end. What a huge loss to the acting community, he was so young when he made that film, but he had so much talent and charisma. It took me ages to realise River Phoenix was dead, another supremely talented young actor, I feel the same about Heath Ledger.

Though it sounds so daft when you dont know them from Adam, doesn't it? I daren't put my DVD of "The Patriot" on...the settee would have to be rung out if I watched that. :(

Strangely I didn't really rate BBM. I thought it was way too slow and would have been greatly improved with tighter editing and about 30 minutes taken off.

I expect I'll watch it in an entirely different light on Wednesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching Ten things I Hate About You earlier tonight. A film I loved.

:cry: I cried from beginning to end. What a huge loss to the acting community, he was so young when he made that film, but he had so much talent and charisma. It took me ages to realise River Phoenix was dead, another supremely talented young actor, I feel the same about Heath Ledger.

Aw I saw that was on & for a bizarre reason couldn't watch it again! :( Maybe it was ok last week cos we all sat & watched it together!:)

I too am unaware about other versions of AKT :o - I bought my copy when AKT first came out on dvd & I'm very surprised it hasn't been worn out! :D I am starting to dread it again tho - I was all geared up for it a couple of days ago & now I'm getting a bit worried :(.
  • hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 2 versions of A Knights Tale

There's the original one (with a red cover and Heath's face) and then after Brokeback they brought out the extended cut..(with a silver cover, and a picture of Heath holding a sword). Its got extra scenes and lots of little behind the scenes featurettes
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sillygirlflower...honestly, there is no problem whatsoever in changing Wednesday's film to something else. It was always going to be a toughy for most of us. Which other one would you be more comfortable with?

Tally, we've started getting together to watch Heath's films on a Wednesday evening and joining up here at the same time for moral support. You are very welcome to join us. It helped us, I know there were a few of us, including me, who couldn't bear to watch a Heath film yet because it was going to be too upsetting, but we did it, we laughed and we cried and it was easier because we were in it together.
    Forum Member
    Jack Nasty wrote: »

I didn't know there was more than one version of AKT:confused:

In one way there isn't. I've got the DVD and it's got a deleted scenes section. I think the version they brought out after that was just with the deleted scenes put in the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    Sillygirlflower...honestly, there is no problem whatsoever in changing Wednesday's film to something else. It was always going to be a toughy for most of us. Which other one would you be more comfortable with?

Tally, we've started getting together to watch Heath's films on a Wednesday evening and joining up here at the same time for moral support. You are very welcome to join us. It helped us, I know there were a few of us, including me, who couldn't bear to watch a Heath film yet because it was going to be too upsetting, but we did it, we laughed and we cried and it was easier because we were in it together.

Hiya Rose - I'm fine - I'll go with whatever everyone wants - I dreaded 10 things much more than I'm dreading AKT! And I know it'll be great & as (if not more) funny & comforting as last Wednesday! I'll be there, stripey socks at the ready! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hayleyg wrote: »
    There are 2 versions of A Knights Tale

There's the original one (with a red cover and Heath's face) and then after Brokeback they brought out the extended cut..(with a silver cover, and a picture of Heath holding a sword). Its got extra scenes and lots of little behind the scenes featurettes

I've got the red one - ooh! He looks tasty in that!

Back in the puddle.............. (where's fancyfirefoot - my usual puddley chum!) :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I have the original AKT DVD - I've got the silver/red one with Heath's face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    Looks like I have the original AKT DVD - I've got the silver/red one with Heath's face.

:) Me too. I never knew I had so many of his films! Thanks for the invite, I'll do my best.

I dont think I can put AKT on yet though, as I know I'd blart my way through it too much, just thinking of the opening bit of "We will Rock You" is making me well up, and I'm not watching it...just woke up to an earthquake I think :eek:

See, Heath makes the earth move :p Literally.

I do feel daft about feeling so cut up about a stranger's death though. I think it's because his films entertained me and gave me so much pleasure it's hard to think he wont make any more.:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :) Me too. I never knew I had so many of his films! Thanks for the invite, I'll do my best.

I dont think I can put AKT on yet though, as I know I'd blart my way through it too much, just thinking of the opening bit of "We will Rock You" is making me well up, and I'm not watching it...just woke up to an earthquake I think :eek:

See, Heath makes the earth move :p Literally.

I do feel daft about feeling so cut up about a stranger's death though. I think it's because his films entertained me and gave me so much pleasure it's hard to think he wont make any more.:cry:

Hi Tally, see he just has that effect on people :D. If you're daft about being upset then we're all daft & stuff the rest of them! :p

I didn't realise how many of his films I had - then when I looked at them, it seemed like so few compared to how many he could've made, then I got sad - again!

I think AKT will be tough tonight - I'm quite sure I'm going to be blubbing, but we all got through 10 things - & laughed as well as cried & it was great. Much easier than trying to watch it on your own. :) If I don't get on til later, see everyone at 9!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting really nervous about watching AKT. :( I know most of us are feeling the same. Should we watch something else instead you reckon?