Options

World Wrestling Entertainment II - No spoilers please (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has gone a little old school recently with the intro of the boogeyman :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    I honestly don't know. I wish I did. Since he went for surgery, there hasn't been a great deal about him on any of the usual wrestling websites, although he did record a piece on Eddie's tragic death.

As you say, his commentary was brilliant, and I really cannot understand why wwe, and the McMahons, invented such a humiliating work, co-inciding with his exit. Sorry, but WTF was all that about ? What exactly had they got against the guy, and why did JR even lend himself to such crap, especially as he wasn't well at the time. I am truly bemused by it all.

That's not in any way de-crying Joey Styles, who has done a great job since JR left, although he hadn't been lined up at the time JR got "fired". Coach was a joke. Did Vince really think he could replace JR ? He didn't even seem to be able to describe most of the wrestling moves.

Would really love to know about JR and the true underlying story.

I agree with you about the humiliation that JR suffered during Raw regarding his on air 'firing' and the infamous operation sketch afterwards. Even as part of a storyline, I think the operation skit was in bad taste but very little surprises me from the WWE nowadays.

Regarding JR's condition, the only note I have seen since his departure from TV was something that was written by the Honky Tonk Man on his website:
    Sources close to WWe have informed HTM that Good Ol' J.R. is not in as good of health as we have been lead to believe. This story is developing
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fact that its gone very quiet on the wwe's part about JR's condition speaks volumes tbh.

Lets hope he does eventually return and him getting humiliated on raw isnt his final appearance :(
  • Options
    spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles' 5 year deal suggests JR won't be back for some time, if at all. If he does, I'd hate to see it go back to being JR/King calling Raw; they really were stale. The addition of Coach added a little extra, and Styles has done a good job. My favourite in recent times were when Paul Heyman was calling with JR. They had such good chemistry.

I always believe you need a dedicated heel/sympathiser co-commentator.
  • Options
    The NaitchThe Naitch Posts: 10,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he does, I'd hate to see it go back to being JR/King calling Raw; they really were stale.

JR and the King were great together. Styles is the only man fit to replace JR.

The addition of Coach added a little extra

Are you kidding? Jonathan Coachman is an appalling announcer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As in he added a heel element to the increasingly dull mix of JR and King. At first, Lawler would revel in the antics of heels and various cheating, but as time went on he just became JR's sexually depraved buddy.

I'm not saying Coach is great, but the addition of <announcer> of that heelish persuasion adds a different dynamic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best were Bobby Heanon and Gorrila Mansoon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Ross was supposed to be leaving the announce table, for good, to work exclusively for WWE 24/7 On Demand. Like already mentioned, they wanted Mike Goldberg (UFC play by play), not to just defect to WWE, but Mike was also offered a bonus to no show the UFC and show up on Raw the same night without notice to UFC. His friends let him know how WWE really operates and he eventually declined a big figure contract.

Ross's departure from TV, or rather the way it was handled was nothing short of disgraceful and disrespectful. (I thought Bobby Heenan being kicked out of the arena by Gorilla Monsoon when he was leaving for WCW was a poor send off but given the circumstances and knowing McMahons way of doing business, it wasn't a surprise).

The surgery skit was disgusting, McMahon acted childishly, similar to the Huckster and Nacho Man skits years ago when they signed for WCW.

Ross gave a 'shoot' speech in the ring after being 'fired' and said this isn't how he wanted to be remembered. He was emotional and let the fans know he felt it was a humiliating way to treat an employee. ('kiss my ass club' anybody?...so it was only an angle, but they still had to do it as part of their job).

WWE seems to be trying to cross the line just lately. I'm really surprised nothing came of his segment with Cena at Survivor Series.
  • Options
    WordLifeWordLife Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think Coach should shut the hell up and Styles should keep on doing a great job (not that he'd want to stop doing a great job!) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time Joey Styles did commentary for WWE at Taboo Tuesday, I thought it was awful. I was quite gutted for him. I knew that WWE would be watching (listening) closely to see how he did and maybe offer him more work. If you listen you can hear him stumbling over his words and missing cues. Lawler had to jump in a few times (I'm certainly no fan of Jerry 'Puppies! Bra 'n Panties! Lingerie Pillow Fight!' Lawler. I'd put this down to nerves and the fact he had only hours to prepare for what he's since revealed was his dream job.

After Taboo Tuesday and knowing how WWE operate, considering their recent treatment of JR, I thought it was over for Styles but thankfully someone else didn't. He's improved significantly (which I know he was highly capable of) and I'm very pleased he's now the play-by-play guy for Raw.

Coach, character aside, believes his own hype, or rather, heat. He thinks he's doing a great job but there's just some people who can't get over, (Test, Albert to name the obvious) and he's one of them. People don't even like him as a heel.

Incidently, I loved Taz's work at Survivor Series, I just wish he was able to be more like that on Smackdown! rather than the goofy CC he's been lately. SD! has a slightly earlier timeslot and has always been aimed at a slightly younger target audience so they can't be as 'post watershed' as Raw.

I've always been a mark for the commentary team sticking up for each other such as Taz and Cole at SSeries. Also Lawler sticking up for Ross, against Taz! (remember Lawler standing up for Ross, later, Ross hitting Taz over the head with the glass candy jar for Lawler to defeat Taz).
  • Options
    nirvana-rhodesnirvana-rhodes Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just watched the catch up show on skyone this weekend and im sick of Booker T's wife! she IS an awful awful actress and really needs to be seen and heard less, she makes the matches look naff, their is no need for her been their at all.

and when will someone suck Edge up, ego is way too big for someone who isnt going to win a big belt for a long time.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we could say it could e jr/styles/king 4 raw and tzz/cole/coach smackdown i think that would be good. because coach could win the cruiserweight title 4 a week hahahah then get his (why should i say that word) by the legendary spanky hahaha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and when will someone suck Edge up, ego is way too big for someone who isnt going to win a big belt for a long time.

That's Mr Money-In-The-Bank you're talking about! ;):D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched the catch up show on skyone this weekend and im sick of Booker T's wife! she IS an awful awful actress and really needs to be seen and heard less, she makes the matches look naff, their is no need for her been their at all.

Agreed. It would make Chris Benoit's inevitable comeback in the best of 7, look more realistic if she was to be banned form ringside in the remaining ~ we presume ~ 4 matches.

I though Michael P.S. Hayes made him look pretty small last week. There was very little leeway for him, by way of an effective riposte.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    When is Edge gonna use his money in the bank contract? Im thinking Royal Rumble because NYR is the Elimination Chamber and I cant see Edge in the Mania main event, not yet anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And also to the fact that he is injured. He will use it at mania if he is fit against cena, or at least i would like to think that. I dont wanna see hhh vs cena as main event.

They may do soemthing in the story to say he wont use it by the year. Cant believe he has almost held that contract for a year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I seriously hope that some kind of stunt happens at Armageddon or at least the go out of the cell because the last few hell in a cell matches have been awful especially the HHH/Nash one
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And also to the fact that he is injured. He will use it at mania if he is fit against cena, or at least i would like to think that. I dont wanna see hhh vs cena as main event.

They may do soemthing in the story to say he wont use it by the year. Cant believe he has almost held that contract for a year

Except I thought the money in the bank match was for the World Heavyweight Championship currently held by Batista, not the wwe championship.
  • Options
    WordLifeWordLife Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets hope this week's live RAW (which i'm watching) doesn't have as many technical problems as last week :D (or even better still, none at all)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think they will announce the new Raw gm, or wait till next week.

They could interview all the candidants for the job, then we vote on wo we want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well wasn't it going tobe shane as the new GM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    Except I thought the money in the bank match was for the World Heavyweight Championship currently held by Batista, not the wwe championship.

His contract is for a WWE Championship shot, let's just call it creative licence on the part of the WWE writers. ;):p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    umpa lumpa wrote:
    Do you think they will announce the new Raw gm, or wait till next week.

They could interview all the candidants for the job, then we vote on wo we want.

I think it'd make good sense for them to space it out over the next few weeks, maybe have the decision made on or just before the PPV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope its Dusty, he would rock
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could someone please explain something about TNA?

Are all shows on the wrestling channels and PPV's?

When is the next one?

Whats the main TNA site? Is TNA anygood? What are the matches like?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.