Considering an iPad

clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,840
Forum Member
✭✭
hi guys I am considering getting an iPad, I was thinking about getting a Laptop for my room but thought this might be a better idea, I was wondering about internet though.

I know that you have to pay monthly to use for example 3g network but my question is, if I use wifi from my own home, will I have to pay any extra at all? or do I just pay for the device and then that is it, only pay for apps and things?

also, I'll probably get iPad Mini, don't want anything too big, I've looked at measurements and the Mini is perfect size for me

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you already have a wireless router then you can use an additional device such as a laptop or a tablet to connect to the Internet with no additional cost unless as a result of an increased amount of data you exceed your monthly download allowance. Downloaded apps are an additional and separate cost. 3G is expensive, slow, unreliable and might not be available if you live outside of a city.

Have you considered other 7" tablets such as the Google Nexus 7 which some people think offer better value for money?
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the chance to play with an Ipad mini over Xmas and I found I preferred my Asus Android tablet.

There are two big advantages over the ipad IMHO.

1) Standard connectors (USB and HDMI)
    2) Multi-taking operating system so a lot easier to switch between apps, do background downloads etc
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the suggestions guys but I have an Android phone and sort of want a tablet with the iTunes App Store on it (as I use iTunes often) rather than the Google play store.

if I was to connect directly to the wireless router, would it cost? or do I have to go through a laptop/tablet? because I don't have a laptop or tablet, that is kind of the point ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    want a tablet with the iTunes App Store on it (as I use iTunes often)
    Fair point. Perhaps experts will correct me but AFAIK there's no way to use the iTunes app store on an Android tablet is there?
    if I was to connect directly to the wireless router, would it cost? or do I have to go through a laptop/tablet? because I don't have a laptop or tablet, that is kind of the point ;)
    Provided the connection to the Internet is via the wireless router (and then phone line or Virgin cable) there's no additional cost. You should be able to connect from any tablet to the router via wi-fi.

If the connection from your computer to your router is via an Ethernet cable rather than wireless then there's a chance that the wi-fi facility of the router isn't currently activated and that will need to be switched on in its admin functions.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the suggestions guys but I have an Android phone and sort of want a tablet with the iTunes App Store on it (as I use iTunes often) rather than the Google play store.

If you're connecting wirelessly to your home network from the iPad, then no, it won't cost you anything. There are also quite a few free wireless hotspots out and about too, or you could set yourself up an account with The Cloud or BT Openzone for paid access outside of the home (you pay, they give you a login).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Fair point. Perhaps experts will correct me but AFAIK there's no way to use the iTunes app store on an Android tablet is there?

There is an app store isn't there? don't care if it is actually iTunes or not, just want to be able to download apps
    Provided the connection to the Internet is via the wireless router (and then phone line or Virgin cable) there's no additional cost. You should be able to connect from any tablet to the router via wi-fi.

If the connection from your computer to your router is via an Ethernet cable rather than wireless then there's a chance that the wi-fi facility of the router isn't currently activated and that will need to be switched on in its admin functions.

as for this part of your post, my computer is actually connected to the router via an ethernet cable

although my brother has a laptop using wifi, both our mobiles use wifi, my PS3 uses wifi and my 3DS as well all with no problems
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an app store isn't there? don't care if it is actually iTunes or not, just want to be able to download apps

iPhones/iPads use the Apple App Store.
    Android devices, be they tablets or mobiles, use the google play store.

There's really not a lot to choose between the Android and Apple stores; personally prefer the overall layout of Google Play, but thats only having compared it between my iPhone and the Nexus 7 and Advent Vega.
    as for this part of your post, my computer is actually connected to the router via an ethernet cable

although my brother has a laptop using wifi, both our mobiles use wifi, my PS3 uses wifi and my 3DS as well all with no problems

Wired networking, how quaint :D

No reason to use wired networking unless you have very specific security concerns, but tablets and phones connect to wifi routers in the same way as laptops or PCs - so just buy yourself an iPad/Nexus7/any tablet you want (do not buy one on a contract), and connect it up with the wifi key from your home router, job done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult's nicely answered everything so I won't bother to repeat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »

Wired networking, how quaint :D

No reason to use wired networking unless you have very specific security concerns, but tablets and phones connect to wifi routers in the same way as laptops or PCs - so just buy yourself an iPad/Nexus7/any tablet you want (do not buy one on a contract), and connect it up with the wifi key from your home router, job done!

ok great, thanks for your help :)

as for the wired network, we have never had a PC new enough to be able to use wireless connection, so when I started getting a bit of money I saved up and bought a brand new PC (only about 6 months ago) and when setting up, I just put the ethernet cable in (natural instinct) and haven't thought about it since!!

If I was to go wireless, how would I do that? as soon as I take the ethernet cable out the internet goes off obviously but I wouldn't know what to do next! also, will it be slower than wired?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was to go wireless, how would I do that?
    IMHO if it's working, don't fix it! Unless you want to move the computer away from the router, wireless has no advantages.

Wi-fi speeds are far in excess of the speed of data transfer over a phone line, and probably also over a Virgin cable television connection, so wi-fi versus Ethernet speed isn't an issue when accessing the Internet. It would only be an issue when transferring a large amount of data between two devices in your house but you'd only gain an advantage if both devices were connected to the router via Ethernet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMHO if it's working, don't fix it! Unless you want to move the computer away from the router, wireless has no advantages.

my thoughts exactly but my Dad is always talking about rearranging the room but we can't because of the PC, I might try it and if I'm not happy with it I can always just plug the ethernet cable back in! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before you begin:

Use a utility such as inSSIDer to view local networks. That will confirm that wi-fi is enabled on your router.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inssider
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

It might also be useful to check on another wi-fi device (perhaps a friendly neighbour's computer) that they can see your wi-fi network.

Make sure you know how to access your router's admin facility, the username (if needed) and the password. You do this using a web browser via a four digit IP address, for example http://192.168.2.1 but different router manufacturers use a different address. Don't change any setting unless you know what you're doing.

Make sure you know your wi-fi network name (SSID) and wireless network password (network key). This is different to the router admin password.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried connecting my main computer wireless, it said connections available but it kept saying error when I tried to connect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone might be able to help if you posted the wording of the error message.
  • TonyOtherTonyOther Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    hi guys I am considering getting an iPad, I was thinking about getting a Laptop for my room but thought this might be a better idea, I was wondering about internet though.

I know that you have to pay monthly to use for example 3g network but my question is, if I use wifi from my own home, will I have to pay any extra at all? or do I just pay for the device and then that is it, only pay for apps and things?

also, I'll probably get iPad Mini, don't want anything too big, I've looked at measurements and the Mini is perfect size for me

I know iPads are sexy, but consider what else you might like to do, for example writing. Tapping away on a tablet might be fine for short messages and web addresses but you would soon tire of it writing anything longer. Looking at the cost, you could afford to buy an 11in Lenovo netbook with an i3 core chip which, in my view, would be more versatile. or if you really want to go the Apple route, get an Macbook Air (secondhand if necessry). Tablets are great for some things, but a small laptop would give you more scope and freedom.

BTW I agree that a Google Nexus does offer better value for money. Although I have a two Macbooks as well as the Lenovo and prefer Mac OS on the PCs, I find I prefer Android to iOS any day. Couldn't tell you why, it's a gut thing.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TonyOther wrote: »
    I know iPads are sexy, but consider what else you might like to do, for example writing. Tapping away on a tablet might be fine for short messages and web addresses but you would soon tire of it writing anything longer. Looking at the cost, you could afford to buy an 11in Lenovo netbook with an i3 core chip which, in my view, would be more versatile. or if you really want to go the Apple route, get an Macbook Air (secondhand if necessry). Tablets are great for some things, but a small laptop would give you more scope and freedom.

BTW I agree that a Google Nexus does offer better value for money. Although I have a two Macbooks as well as the Lenovo and prefer Mac OS on the PCs, I find I prefer Android to iOS any day. Couldn't tell you why, it's a gut thing.

You could just use a keyboard with your iPad if you really did type a lot.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    You could just use a keyboard with your iPad if you really did type a lot.

True, but why faff around? Why not go for a small useful netbook like the Lenovo or Macbook Air in the first place?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but why faff around? Why not go for a small useful netbook like the Lenovo or Macbook Air in the first place?

I think your point is very valid. It all depends what they plan to use it for and how. Tablets have better battery life and are generally easier to carry around, but if a notebook type machine would be more practical I would go for that (or maybe both):)
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I think your point is very valid. It all depends what they plan to use it for and how. Tablets have better battery life and are generally easier to carry around, but if a notebook type machine would be more practical I would go for that (or maybe both):)

Both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't actually remember :o

I put in the username and password (both correct) and clicked 'connect' it then (after a few seconds) come up with a message something like 'unable to connect to this network, you can report below and try again'

something like that anyway

I'll try it again tomorrow and tell you what it actually said but it is along those lines :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've just been forced to try it due to losing connection completely, here is the message:
    Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)...

Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

If you continue to receive error messages, you can enable logging analysis

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or a Transformer which is both a tablet or netbook depending on how you want to use it
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice thing with google play is that any apps you have downloaded (free or purchased) on your phone will be logged on your google account and you can easily redownload them to an android tablet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Nice thing with google play is that any apps you have downloaded (free or purchased) on your phone will be logged on your google account and you can easily redownload them to an android tablet.

true but that doesn't bother me too much to be honest :)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

I read what they said as meaning, they wanted the best of both worlds, as in both.