Mortgage - after death

bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
Forum Member
✭✭
Probably a strange question, but...

I have a mortgage on my own - I have no partner/children etc.

Probably a question for a solicitor, but what happens if/when I die?

I'd hate to think my relatives (parents/siblings) are lumped with the place and the mortgage. What exactly is the deal regarding this?

Anyone know?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you have an insurance policy that will clear your Mortgage upon death , no ?

If not then get one .......... Quick .. :)

Edit to add ........... You should also have a will .
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have life insurance...is that what covers it?

I'm so bad with this kind of thing :o
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Surely you have an insurance policy that will clear your Mortgage upon death , no ?

Agreed - if it's a "drop dead" policy it shouldn't be expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob_fossil wrote: »
    I have life insurance...is that what covers it?

I'm so bad with this kind of thing :o

LOL

Only you know what sum you are assured for and how much your Mortgage is ........... You do the Maths ......... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Agreed - if it's a "drop dead" policy it shouldn't be expensive.

Yup ! ........... Cheap as chips and his Family will have no worries about paying his Mortgage whilst they put his House on the Market ............. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL

Only you know what sum you are assured for and how much your Mortgage is ........... You do the Maths ......... ;)

hehe thanks. I'll look into what my life insurance deal is. I just didn't know what happened, or what the basic 'system' was.

I was just thinking earlier 'what if' etc.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was a condition of a mortgage to have decreasing term insurance to cover the balance?

You die, mortgage gets paid off. Nowt extra.

If OH dies I'm cushty. And visa versa. I have an additional life insurance policy so if I die OH can sit on his arse and morn for about four years.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    You should have no trouble finding something suitable on the internet or a local insurance broker. Find out how much is owing on the mortgage first.

If you have this protection, why would you need any other life insurance if you have no dependents?

In the event of your death the house would be part of your estate and any outstanding mortgage would be paid by the insurance company.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    If you're single, have no kids and nobody else living with you then to be honest having life insurance to cover the mortgage is a bit pointless.

If you died whilst you still have a mortgage (or any other debts) then your house and assets would be sold by the executor to pay back the debts and anything left over would then be distributed / paid out to whoever you have specified in your will (or your parents if you don't have a will). If the value of your assets didn't cover all your debts then the balance would be written off.
    Forum Member
    Yup ! ........... Cheap as chips and his Family will have no worries about paying his Mortgage whilst they put his House on the Market ............. :D
    The family would never have to pay the mortgage if he were to die.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so if I were to die tomorrow (knocked down, get shot, heart attack, suicide, whatever) my parents/siblings wouldn't be left with the hassle of this place?

I know this is a morbid topic, but it's just something I never thought about. Not had my mortgage that long and I didn't even think about this kind of thing :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the answers by the way! :)
    Forum Member
    Okay, so if I were to die tomorrow (knocked down, get shot, heart attack, suicide, whatever) my parents/siblings wouldn't be left with the hassle of this place?

I know this is a morbid topic, but it's just something I never thought about. Not had my mortgage that long and I didn't even think about this kind of thing :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the answers by the way! :)
    No they wouldn't. If you have no will then an Administrator would be appointed by the court and take on the responsibility of disposing of your assets.

However, you really should get a will written as this means you can decide who you would like to be the Executor (i.e. the person or people who would be responsible for wrapping up your affairs) but more importantly can decide if you want to leave anything to other people. You may want to leave something to a good friend or your siblings for instance.

It's up to you whether you go with a 'professional' executor like a solicitor or accountant (who will charge) or choose some family or friends.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to leave your home, mortgage free, to your beneficiaries then consider taking out Decreasing Term Assurance (if your mortgage is a Capital and Interest) or Level Term Assurance (if your mortgage is interest only).

If all you are concerned about is them not being left with your debt, then be assured that in law no one can be held responsible for another person's debts unless they are party to that debt, so insurance wouldn't be required. However, if you forsee your circumstances changing in the future, where you may want to take life assurance remember, this gets more expensive the older you get and you may (hopefully not) incur some illness which prevents you from taking it out or considerably hikes the cost.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends what you mean by hassle - they'd inherit the house, they don't inherit the debt (i.e. they don't need to pick up the repayments for the mortgage). If they don't actually want the house then they'd sell it, pay off the balance of your mortgage, and keep any money left over.
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    the bailiffs will dig you up and steal your clothes, jewelery and coffin and sell your body to science ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edit to add ........... You should also have a will .

I wouldn't waste my money on the insurance tbh. It's not like you'll get any benefit!

The house would be sold by the executor of your estate, the mortgage and other expenses paid from the proceeds, and the balance distributed according to your will, or accoring to the intestacy rules if you haven't made a will.

The mortgage payments would cease on your death, but interest would still accrue on the capital outstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They wouldn't have to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bailiffs will dig you up and steal your clothes, jewelery and coffin and sell your body to science ;)

But better to sell your Body when dead than to do so while still alive , eh sweety ?

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a condition of a mortgage to have decreasing term insurance to cover the balance?

It never has been on any of mine, but then I last took out a mortgage in 1993. Things may have changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBitch wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste my money on the insurance tbh. It's not like you'll get any benefit!

The house would be sold by the executor of your estate, the mortgage and other expenses paid from the proceeds, and the balance distributed according to your will, or accoring to the intestacy rules if you haven't made a will.

The mortgage payments would cease on your death, but interest would still accrue on the capital outstanding.
    They wouldn't have to.

They might want to whilst the House is on the Market is what I said and what meant , to prevent the highlighted bits above :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you haven't got a will, your next of kin would have to deal with it. They could appoint a solicitor to deal with it all though.

Best to make a will and appoint an executor if you don't want them to have hassle. Check how much they charge - some of them are a rip off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might want to whilst the House is on the Market is what I said and what meant , to prevent the highlighted bits above :)

:confused: Either they make the monthly repayments, or they pay the accrued interest with the proceeds of sale of the house - neither option makes life insurance a necessity.

I would only insure if somebody was actually going to be in financial trouble when I died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never has been on any of mine, but then I last took out a mortgage in 1993. Things may have changed.

Nope, none of my last three lenders have required life insurance.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Nope, none of my last three lenders have required life insurance.

It may depend on how much equity you would have as to whether it is required. Obviously the less equity, the more incentive for the mortgage company to require insurance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    :confused: Either they make the monthly repayments, or they pay the accrued interest with the proceeds of sale of the house - neither option makes life insurance a necessity.

I would only insure if somebody was actually going to be in financial trouble when I died.

It seems to me the OP cares about who he is leaving behind and surely would want to have enough money left to them to cover his funeral costs at least ........... By having his mortgage paid off this will ensure he does :)