Excessive promotion of "The Call Centre"

be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC Three is seriously over-hyping this latest docu-soap drivel. The announcers are acting as if it's the greatest programme ever made and there's even a countdown in-between programmes.

As someone who usually defends the TV Licence, I'm pretty disgusted to see public money being spent on promotional films for Nev Wilshire's businesses.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had The Office. That was a fine comedy. The desperate antics of a boss trying to seem interesting and important while his stuff bumbled around, barely tolerating him until they could go home while trying to make their mundane monotony tolerable. It worked well and is remembered fondly.

Now we have The Call Centre. Life imitating art but in an incredibly depressing way since these people seem to want to be characters and aren't fictional creations just for our entertainment.

It's actually really depressing to think ten years on we can't do better so now we're just filming wannabes rather than actual comedy actors.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they have many other programmes to promote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I doubt they have many other programmes to promote.

To be honest it seems like they only have maybe 2 original entertainment productions a day and a dozen a week these days excluding the news.

It seems like a lot of money goes to over hyped one off drama series like Inside Men, unfunny comedies like Me and Mrs Jones and Heading Out which shouldn't have been ordered to series at all and making programs everyone else has already made many times before so a TV personality can go on a staycation or a foreign "adventure". I'm waiting for Miranda Does America, Fiona Bruce's Europe, Lee Mack and Rhod Gilbert's Down To Delhi or Millican Across Africa to get greenlit at this rate.

Honestly the fact they fund crap like Cash In The Attic and Doctors, shows on at times when a large audience can't watch, but then the only worthwhile programming in the evening right now is The Chef's Protege which while good is not that dissimilar from Service, The Restaurant or Masterchef in terms of "offering the amateurs a one off shot at impressing a Michelin star chef".

It's quite sad to think Pulling, Mongrels and How Not To Live Your Life have been replaced with Sun, Sea and Suspicious Parents and other similarly exploitative low rent reality show tat but considering most performers apparently realise BBC Three does not favour original productions or the people involved (look at how all the original cast of Being Human fled as soon as they could for other projects when they got offers and how Horgan went back to trying to work with Channel 4), it seems like current sensibilities are in favour of filming people on the job already so they don't have to pay them, only the employers to film on their premises, rather than making anything creative that can be turned into a long running series.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really a documentary ? The more I see of these trails makes me doubt it.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Is it really a documentary ? The more I see of these trails makes me doubt it.

I thought that it was a comedy in the mould of Twenty Twelve, a view strengthened by one article that I read somewhere.

But maybe it is indeed a documentary , we've had one before following that uPVC double glazing company U-Fit.

And Nev Wilshire seems to exist:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/business/business-news/neville-wilshire-one-great-survivors-2495572

http://www.nevillewilshire.com/
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long has "greenlight" meaning to give something the green light, been a verb? Not being picky, just interested.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T I'm waiting for Miranda Does America, Fiona Bruce's Europe, Lee Mack and Rhod Gilbert's Down To Delhi or Millican Across Africa to get greenlit at this rate.

I'd watch if they were 'Miranda's Uganda', 'Lee Mack In Iraq', 'Fiona's Barcelona', 'Rhod on Cod (Wars)' or 'Millican's Brazillians'.

Well, maybe not that last one.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the sound of "Lee Mack and Rhod Gilbert's Down To Delhi":D
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw on The One Show yesterday, they had to apologise for how they'd painted the show the day before - having been unfair about it, apparently. I missed that, so im not sure what happened - did they basically paint it as fake or slag it off or something? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I'd watch if they were 'Miranda's Uganda', 'Lee Mack In Iraq', 'Fiona's Barcelona', 'Rhod on Cod (Wars)' or 'Millican's Brazillians'.

lol 'Lee Mack in Iraq' sounds particularly riveting :D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I saw on The One Show yesterday, they had to apologise for how they'd painted the show the day before - having been unfair about it, apparently. I missed that, so im not sure what happened - did they basically paint it as fake or slag it off or something? :confused:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1830721&page=2

Angela Rippon came on and took one of the people involved in this new show to task over the practice of cold calling. I didn't see any problem with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Angela Rippon came on and took one of the people involved in this new show to task over the practice of cold calling. I didn't see any problem with it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Yes, they seem to be showing the promo for this loads on BBC Three. I recorded coverage of Radio 1's Big Weekend last week and out of every single hour show (in a small break for 60 Seconds news), they all started with The Call Centre promo...it'd better be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Watching the trailer makes me want to throw my TV through the window. I think I'd end up going on a homicidal rampage if I actually worked there. It looks like my version of hell on earth.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how they actually have time to get any work done, as it all seems to be just arsing about.

In what situation you'd be expected to stand on the desk and strip off, in a call centre, I don't know!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate cold callers and would like to see them all heavily penalised but the way that he was entrapped was wrong and Rippon started throwing accusations at him without any evidence.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked Mr Brightside by The Killers before I had heard the opening played on the promo before and after every single episode of Family Guy and American Dad. (Approximately five times a night.) Now I will always associate that song with the Welsh David Brent debasing his staff while the BBC gives his company hours of free advertising.

And who the f*** is impressed if a call centre in Swansea is "award-winning"? Perhaps next year's National Call Centre Awards will be televised to fill a few hours on BBC Three? Oh well, I suppose handing out meaningless awards provides work and a free meal for ex-Radio 1 DJs who haven't (yet) been arrested by Operation Yewtree.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC THREE do this with every new programme they make/buy in. It's advertised to death at every opportunity. Their female continuity announcer (who seems to be the only one the have now) is also incredibly annoying. I mute the TV when programmes end and take it off once another starts just so I don't have to hear her voice. :mad:
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Watching the trailer makes me want to throw my TV through the window. I think I'd end up going on a homicidal rampage if I actually worked there. It looks like my version of hell on earth.
    Mine too, but it's horses for courses. I guess if you're an extrovert then that kind of job is something fun to do.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks terrible but then again so is most of BBC3's schedule. Its done nothing relevant or of note in years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

They sound better, I can actually imagine Fiona's Barcelona airing on a Sunday evening on BBC1. However the reason I chose the countries I did is because they are the places EVERYONE goes for these programmes, Europe, India, Africa and America.

First it was Michael Palin, then Keith Floyd, more recently it's been Stephen Fry, Rich Hall and Russell Brand across America, Angela Rippon, Lenny Henry and some radio presenters in Africa... it seems like a rite of passage all BBC A listers have to do a travel show nobody how badly they are suited for the job.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Award winning, I don't think so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Award winning, I don't think so

It doesn't mention what awards... Worst Dress Code Policy seems to be something they'd get nominated for every year.